Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #1

Towing a car dolly with a Fleetwood Bounder

Has anyone ever towed a car dolly with a 2006 Fleetwood Bounder. The receiver is 30 inches off the ground. It looks like I will need at least a 12 to 14 inch drop on my draw bar. I haven't been able to find one but I can get one custom made. Any one run into this problem.
lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been using a dolly for three years and 25000 miles. Of course thats not your question. I can't imagine your receiver is 30 inches off the ground, but then again I'm not holding the ruler. My receiver is less than 20 inches. I honestly can't see this as being possible. I must be missing something.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #3

I tow a Master Tow Dolly with a Newmar Allstar 42' tow vehicle and the hitch is between 18 and 20 inches and it works fine.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I've been using a dolly for three years and 25000 miles. Of course thats not your question. I can't imagine your receiver is 30 inches off the ground, but then again I'm not holding the ruler. My receiver is less than 20 inches. I honestly can't see this as being possible. I must be missing something.

Our Bounder is gas powered and you have a pusher. That might be where the difference is, but from the ground to the bottom of the 2in. receiver is 30 inches. My car dolly has a straight draw bar on it not the off set one like on the new ones.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If anything Lawrence the pusher is higher. 22.5 tires vs 19.5

If your receiver hitch is 30 inches from the ground, somebody has done some serious revisions. In my opinion, you will not be able to pull anything at 30 inches and to have a drop hitch that is min of 10 to 12 inches doesn't sound very safe.

BTW...my dolly draw bar is straight also.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
30 inches sounds way to much. Did you measure with your stabilizer jacks down?

My fleetwood pace arrow gasser is 22"
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
If anything Lawrence the pusher is higher. 22.5 tires vs 19.5
If your receiver hitch is 30 inches from the ground, somebody has done some serious revisions. In my opinion, you will not be able to pull anything at 30 inches and to have a drop hitch that is min of 10 to 12 inches doesn't sound very safe.

BTW...my dolly draw bar is straight also.
I have 22.5 tires on mine as well and it has a factory receiver on it so I don't why it's so high off the ground.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You can get a 12" drop receiver here:
The Hitch Corner sells trailer hitch accessories
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All of you doubters - yes; Fleetwood saw the need to install the hitch pretty high in the air. Ours is a 2007 Bounder 35E and I use an 8" drop receiver when towing our smart car, and it's still right at the limit that Blue Ox recommends for the hitch height. When we use our tow dolly I use the 8" drop receiver, along with a double receiver to get the dolly so it won't drag the ramps when we leave gas stations, etc.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
All of you doubters - yes; Fleetwood saw the need to install the hitch pretty high in the air. Ours is a 2007 Bounder 35E and I use an 8" drop receiver when towing our smart car, and it's still right at the limit that Blue Ox recommends for the hitch height. When we use our tow dolly I use the 8" drop receiver, along with a double receiver to get the dolly so it won't drag the ramps when we leave gas stations, etc.
Thanks for confirming the height of my receiver. I was beginning to think some people didn't think I new how to use a tape measure. Anyway I had a drop hitch made. I dropped it 14" from the top of hitch to the base where the ball is fastened giving me about 16" to the ground. They put a long gusset on the hitch for extra support. Looks good. Tried the car on there and the ramps are right where they where on my Class C.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #11

Does anyone think of how the safety chains will work when the need arises? I see a punctured fuel tank or some dolly ramps regrading the roadbed. Yes, I have seen 2 trailers being towed by the chains.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Does anyone think of how the safety chains will work when the need arises? Yes, I have seen 2 trailers being towed by the chains.
It appears from your experience they work very well. I hope I never have to find out.