Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #1

towing a CRV

I am setting my CRV up for towing with a Blue Ox baseplate and hitch. If you stop on the road for a rest or a meal, can you turn off and remove the ignition key of the CRV while you are stopped, then set it up again for towing without disconnecting the hitch.
bloomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also tow a CRV with a Blue Ox setup and a Patriot Braking System. I have stopped many times, taken out the key from the ignition after putting the car in park, so that I could lock the doors, leaving the CRV hooked up. Not a problem. The only issue I have had is if I park overnight with it still hooked up, I need to remove the Patriot Braking System so that I can go through the transmission sequence before starting out. I have not been able to do this with the Braking System in place.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sure, but why not just leave the key in and lock the doors with a second set of keys?

We go one better than that: our ignition key has a security chip in it, so we had another key made without the chip and that is what is in the ignition. It will turn the switch to unlock the steering, but it won't start the car. We keep the real key in our possession while towing. Or stopped somewhere.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomt View Post
I am setting my CRV up for towing with a Blue Ox baseplate and hitch. If you stop on the road for a rest or a meal, can you turn off and remove the ignition key of the CRV while you are stopped, then set it up again for towing without disconnecting the hitch.
You are setting yourself up by doing this. If you ever forget and drive off with that puppy in park you will regret it. Use another key or at least put a fail-safe reminder on your MH steering wheel.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Sure, but why not just leave the key in and lock the doors with a second set of keys?

We go one better than that: our ignition key has a security chip in it, so we had another key made without the chip and that is what is in the ignition. It will turn the switch to unlock the steering, but it won't start the car. We keep the real key in our possession while towing. Or stopped somewhere.
Did that exact thing about 7 years ago for our Ody. I insert the "blank" key and hold my regular key next to the blank, start the engine and run through the towing procedure.
Did find out that two days of towing will run the battery down. Going to either run a charge line or go back to the dolly. Went to Fresno and Phoenix towing four down. By the time we got home the front end on the Ody was out of alignment, plus lots more rock chips on the hood. This is what's prompting my going back to the dolly.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #6

We also tow a CR-V. The suggestion about getting a key without a chip and using that is a good suggestion. We stopped once at a shopping center, and thinking about security, we took the key out of the ignition of the CR-V. Got back in the MH a little while later and took off. Luckily a gentleman ran us down, caught us at a red light about a mile after the shopping center, and told us we were dragging our car down the road, kinda sideways. The steering wheel was locked, we had forgotten to put the key back in and put the ignition in Acc! Never again. I will take the chance on having the car stolen. We just are very grateful for the man who stopped us. Of course, he said he owned a MH and had done that once himself.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
x2 on driving away with the toad ignition locked... done it once. My CR-V cannot be locked from the outside with a second key when a key is in the ignition... I guess to keep us forgetful people from locking ourselves out!! I don't have a solution tho... I believe it would take a while for an inexperienced person to unhook the toad. For short daytime stops I just leave the key in the ignition and not worry about it. That's what insurance is for!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
x2 on driving away with the toad ignition locked... done it once. My CR-V cannot be locked from the outside with a second key when a key is in the ignition... I guess to keep us forgetful people from locking ourselves out!! I don't have a solution tho... I believe it would take a while for an inexperienced person to unhook the toad. For short daytime stops I just leave the key in the ignition and not worry about it. That's what insurance is for!
Your door can be locked while the key is in the ignition. When you bought your Honda you got three keys. two have the remote and one is a valet key without the remote. We use the valet key close the door and lock the door with the remote.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not do this. Like others have said you could "forget" and really mess things up. I do the following...I have a "valet" key that came with the car, its is basically a "no chip" key. I use this when towing the CRV. An then Lock all the doors with the "regular" key remote. On the side all my tow bar attachments (that are removable) are also locked with keys. So the CRV is "completely locked to the MH & the CRV is also all locked.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #10

You can lock the CRV manually with the other key on the drivers door.
Ranmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomt View Post
Yes, but why bother.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
I just recently purchased a 2007 CRV for a toad ( had a Wrangler for 3 years) . Was wondering if you can install a battery disconnect switch on the negative side of the battery post on the CRV ( like I had on the Wrangler ) to resolve the battery drain issue.....or does it need battery power to be towed ??
don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:08 AM   #13

I Don
what i did on mine i install a iode and i run a wire from my CRV battery
to my RV no more problems and at night i start the CRV let it run for 5 minutes than shut down take off thw ket .lock the car and put my crv key's
with my motor home keys
Andrew
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Your door can be locked while the key is in the ignition. When you bought your Honda you got three keys. two have the remote and one is a valet key without the remote. We use the valet key close the door and lock the door with the remote.
+2

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing