Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

Towing a Dodge Dakota

Just bought a used Dakota 4x4 to tow behind M/H, figured I could still use tow dolly until I got a tow bar hook-up. looked in owners manual & found it said if you tow with 2 wheels(front or back) up it will damage transfer case. I thought(LOL) that if you put transfer case in "N" it was ok? anybody have any experience with this ??? thanks
dwarfracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by modlite52 View Post
Just bought a used Dakota 4x4 to tow behind M/H, figured I could still use tow dolly until I got a tow bar hook-up. looked in owners manual & found it said if you tow with 2 wheels(front or back) up it will damage transfer case. I thought(LOL) that if you put transfer case in "N" it was ok? anybody have any experience with this ??? thanks
I don't tow mine (an 05 Laramie) but it's an AWD. Don't know if they're all like that or not. If so, trying to pull it with one end elevated is going to have the open diff in the transfer case spinning at pretty incredible speeds? Thinking it's pretty safe to abide by what the owner's manual says...
Old 10-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
We tow a 2002 Dakota flat, but I think once it's in neutral it shouldn't be an issue. Same as towing flat in N.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #4

The drive shafts coming out of the transfer case would still be turning.....If the bearings there are not getting lubricated, there would be a problem....I would listen to the Chrysler dealer on this
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
What year is the Dakota? We have a 2011 Dakota Bighorn auto transmission 4x4 and flat tow. Per the owners manual, shift the transfer case into neutral and place the shifter in park. Not sure for the standard transmission but once the transfer case is in neutral the wheels are disconnected from the rest of the drive train. If your Dak is a 2009-2011 the instructions are the same and if you PM me I will copy the page from the book and send it to you.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:06 AM   #6

I think those familiar with 4x4 Dakota's know it will tow 4 down. The OP wants to tow his recently purchased 4x4 Dakota on a dolly - until he gets a tow bar?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ahicks, you are right, I guess I read the thread too fast. The only solution to dolly tow a 4x4 Dakota is to disconnect and remove the front drive shaft.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #8

Read the Book! If you pay close attention to the instructions, you won't have any problems. Start improvising and you'll find out how much can be damaged, and how much the repairs will cost.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #9

thanks for replies, got a tow bar set-up Tuesday, now just have to install baseplate
dwarfracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing