Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2017, 08:04 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
I use a Roadmaster Brakemaster setup. I have transferred it from four different toads over the years. It is very simple and dependable. It requires a knowledgeable mechanic to connect it to the air brake system of the RV. The advantage is no power is required via the toad like many of the electronic braking systems.

As for the adaptive cruise control I am using the Roadmaster removable towbar mounts. My Edge goes crazy on the proximity sensors if I move it around with the towbar or mounts in place. My general routine is I remove the mounts as soon as I unhook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	668A2478-031A-441A-A06A-D9AA032F8BAF.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	184881  
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
I have only towed my 2017 Edge with AWD 3.5L V6 about 800 miles so far, but I am very happy with it. The owners manual is the ONLY thing you should go by for instructions. Guides are just that ...Guides.. As the years move on it gets harder and harder to set up a toad. Gone are the days when just adding diodes or extra bulbs setting up tail lights.

jim
viewfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewfinder View Post
I have only towed my 2017 Edge with AWD 3.5L V6 about 800 miles so far, but I am very happy with it. The owners manual is the ONLY thing you should go by for instructions. Guides are just that ...Guides.. As the years move on it gets harder and harder to set up a toad. Gone are the days when just adding diodes or extra bulbs setting up tail lights.

jim
Hey veiwfinder, just bought the same exact car do you disconnect the negative terminal and is it hard to do any special tricks to get the terminal on hooked how about an automatic disconnect from Roadmaster thanks for your input
sdrtile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:25 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrtile View Post
Hey veiwfinder, just bought the same exact car do you disconnect the negative terminal and is it hard to do any special tricks to get the terminal on hooked how about an automatic disconnect from Roadmaster thanks for your input
That is one solution. E-trailer has a nice video on installation (you can install it on either terminal):
https://images.etrailer.com/static/i...rm-766_web.mp4

Another option is a battery disconnect switch:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2016-...ng-275177.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2014-...ct-180749.html
Old 12-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoteam View Post
Has anyone else purchased and towed a 2016, 2017 Edge 2.7 AWD? We love this vehicle and my wife has her heart set on this exact model and wanted a person that's pulled the models opinion? Thanks, Troy
We own a 2016 Ford Edge AWD and ours tows just fine. We installed a Blue Ox tow system and we are very pleased with it.
breenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:00 AM   #48

2016 Edge Towing

Morning! Believe I started this thread a year ago, so this is as much an update as it is a response... I have a 2016 Ford Edge, but it's a 3.5L AWD, not a 2.7L. I have now towed my Edge 9,000 over the last travel season, with absolutely no problem! Just follow the manual, which says start it up and run for 5-10 min, shift to reverse, shift to park, shift to neutral and turn the engine off and disconnect the battery. I use a simple $10 battery disconnect switch (tho I extended the terminal post out from under the edge of the firewall, since it's hard to get to the negative terminal where the battery sits). I then start it up when I stop for lunch to stay within Ford's recommended "start every 6 hours after".

The only two issues I've had is that after towing for 500 miles, the "check engine" light will come on the next 4-5 times you start the car - then will stop coming on after that. Also, while the radio station presets will remain in memory, it will default to AM, the clock may be wrong (reset to 12:00), and some settings such as bass level and speed sensitive volume may go back to default settings. But that doesn't happen if I tow less than 200 miles, so it must be a slow electrical capacitor drain issue. But no mechanical problems - just start and go when you get to the campground!

BTW: I use a Blue Ox Patriot brake system, Blue Ox Alpha tow bar, and Blue Ox base plate; and I use magnetic, remote-controlled brake lights - so I didn't mess with the car lights and yet have no wires.

It's getting more difficult to find a vehicle that a dealer will certify as being 4-wheel down, flat-towable; but all of Ford's lineup is capable of being towed "as is" - except for the Edge! Which is sad, since it would be the best choice as a toad...
coeranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:21 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Question ?? If you disconnect the battery, how do you power your supplemental braking system. Mine plugs into the cigarette lighter.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:41 PM   #50

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Question ?? If you disconnect the battery, how do you power your supplemental braking system. Mine plugs into the cigarette lighter.

You’d run a separate run directly from the battery terminals to an add-on 12v outlet mounted in an accessible spot.
- Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:19 AM   #51

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
After running the battery down in my Edge a couple of time (its a 2013 and does not require the battery to be disconnected) I bought a portable battery from Harbor Freight for around $55 that has the lighter plug. It fits nicely on the floor behind the driver. It easily lasts all day and I just bring it into the MH at end of the day to charge it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-...ter-62376.html

I also use wireless magnetic tail lights that have their own batteries. Just remember to turn the switch on when you start and off at the end of the day and they will last several days. I also have spare rechargeable batteries and still have my wired magnetic lights as a spare just in case.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:12 PM   #52

Quote:
Everyone makes kits to do this, here's and example of one:
https://rvibrake.com/collections/acc...ant=8804221445

I even found a place to mount it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0961.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	187450  
Old 01-02-2018, 06:24 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Chris, thanks !!

Like your idea. Cheap and easy fix. Would think disconnecting the battery would require you to reset the clock, radio, etc. which would be a PITA.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:33 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
I just installed this toad charger (http://www.lslproducts.net/ToadChargePage.html ). Will see how it works on upcoming trip to avoid draining Edge battery.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:11 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
I just installed this toad charger (TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer ). Will see how it works on upcoming trip to avoid draining Edge battery.
Looks interesting. Please keep us posted on the results after your trip. If you don't disconnect your battery, will the odometer in you toad add mileage while being towed?
Old 01-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #56

Flat Towing 2017 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by coeranch View Post
Morning! Believe I started this thread a year ago, so this is as much an update as it is a response... I have a 2016 Ford Edge, but it's a 3.5L AWD, not a 2.7L. I have now towed my Edge 9,000 over the last travel season, with absolutely no problem! Just follow the manual, which says start it up and run for 5-10 min, shift to reverse, shift to park, shift to neutral and turn the engine off and disconnect the battery. I use a simple $10 battery disconnect switch (tho I extended the terminal post out from under the edge of the firewall, since it's hard to get to the negative terminal where the battery sits). I then start it up when I stop for lunch to stay within Ford's recommended "start every 6 hours after".

The only two issues I've had is that after towing for 500 miles, the "check engine" light will come on the next 4-5 times you start the car - then will stop coming on after that. Also, while the radio station presets will remain in memory, it will default to AM, the clock may be wrong (reset to 12:00), and some settings such as bass level and speed sensitive volume may go back to default settings. But that doesn't happen if I tow less than 200 miles, so it must be a slow electrical capacitor drain issue. But no mechanical problems - just start and go when you get to the campground!

BTW: I use a Blue Ox Patriot brake system, Blue Ox Alpha tow bar, and Blue Ox base plate; and I use magnetic, remote-controlled brake lights - so I didn't mess with the car lights and yet have no wires.

It's getting more difficult to find a vehicle that a dealer will certify as being 4-wheel down, flat-towable; but all of Ford's lineup is capable of being towed "as is" - except for the Edge! Which is sad, since it would be the best choice as a toad...
Hello to you all. So I have read all the comments from your original. I have a 2017 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L EcoBoost. Bought it just for it's ability for flat towing. Is the 3.7 different in gear sequence? my manual has me just shift into Neutral and push the keyless button?

However, does anyone have any thoughts with a concern I have.
I just started towing my Ford (just completed trip # 2 the other day) each trip was only 250 miles one-way, however when I reached my destination the car has the smell of burning brakes? This odor lasted for a couple days after my last trip.

I have the Roadmaster Invisibrake (FYI, not very invisible if mounting under the seats since there are the heater vents under the seats (anyone have recommendations for that)? Squirrel !

I just spoke with Roadmaster and they said to check a couple things: 1) was my cable adjusted too tight, hence not releasing the brake all the way. I think it is ok and if it were too tight would that not give me the same smell from just driving long distance?

He also mentioned maybe the transmission getting too hot? which could give it that burning brake smell... Hmm?

He also mentioned potentially disconnecting the fuse to the brake and then maybe the brake cable??? say whaaaaat?? I thought that is why I purchased the system I did?

Oh, I also had the knife switch put on to disconnect the battery. Camping World noted that the newer vehicles have so much electronics that the battery needed to be disconnected so they would not run?? It could be true with all the new devices... or is it still just a battery drain issue? I also added the addition battery charger that is connected to the RV battery (not the running lights).

Any thoughts?? Greatly appreciate any suggestions - and yes, I drove under 65 mph and restarted at under 250 miles/6 hrs.

Ah, so my check engine light came on - I'm now thinking I didn't wait long enough before I stated the engine, as was noted in a comment above. Should I still go to the dealer and get it checked out?

Thank you all. I'm looking to having the problems/concerns addressed so I can finally enjoy the trip when I tow.
LVRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, ford, tow