Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #1

Towing a Ford Ranger 4x4

Guys, I've been looking for info on this all over, and I can't find all the data. A friend is looking at buying and towing a 2000 -2005 Ford Ranger, Auto 4x4. They sell the base plates for those years, but I just can't find info on if it can be towed 4 down. The selector switch on the dash has 2WD, 4High and 4Low. There is no transfer case neuteral setting from what I can tell or find. Has anyone here had any experience with towing one of these Rangers. If a ranger is out of the question, what other small 4x4 truck would be a good 4 down towabel fit?

As aloways, thanks for the help. Happy New Year to all.

Hermosa
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #2

with 4 down i would leave the truck in 2x4 remove the rear drive shaft(not hard just 4 bolts)
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
It may be possible with a drive shaft disconnect kit:

Remco Drive Shaft Disconnect | Application Chart

Hope that helps.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Since your friend has not bought yet, have him focus on manual transmission versions. I have a 2001 model 4x4. No problem towing 4-down.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2004 ford Ranger 2 wheel drive Five speed manual transmission that I tow with no problem.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampsrv View Post
with 4 down i would leave the truck in 2x4 remove the rear drive shaft(not hard just 4 bolts)
and then when you get there you can just put it in 4wheel high and you will have front wheel drive. no need to put the driveshaft back in until you get home unless you need 4 wheel drive while on vacation.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #7

So with a manual 4x4, putting the trans in neuteral will work, but you would still be spinning the transfer case. Any issues with that? Sounds like that might be the best option. Any other options on vehicles (trucks) would be appreciated. Thanks again.

I'm dying to get my RV out of storage and use it, was 8 degrees here today, have a few months to go!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not certain, but you may want to look at a Dodge Dakota 4X4. It may have a similar setup as a Jeep TJ or XJ, which can be towed 4 down.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #9

So you could tow a Auto 4x4 Ranger if you had the transfer case neuteral switch that everyone is talking about. I found a place that sells that kit, and it sounds like the dealer needs to reflash or reprogram the trucks computer. Does that sound right?? I need to check out a couple of the Ranger forums to see if there is more info on this tht I can find. If that's the case and it works, I may even be interested in towing a ranger. I liek the idea of having a bed and bed cover to store larger items when towing.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
I'm not certain, but you may want to look at a Dodge Dakota 4X4. It may have a similar setup as a Jeep TJ or XJ, which can be towed 4 down.

Fran
Yes, you are correct, most of the Dodge Dakota's can be pulled 4 down due to the neuteral setting ont he transfer case. Easy to do. Problem is, they get heavy, and are about 1000lbs heavier than the Ranger.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosa View Post
So you could tow a Auto 4x4 Ranger if you had the transfer case neuteral switch that everyone is talking about. I found a place that sells that kit, and it sounds like the dealer needs to reflash or reprogram the trucks computer. Does that sound right?? I need to check out a couple of the Ranger forums to see if there is more info on this tht I can find. If that's the case and it works, I may even be interested in towing a ranger. I liek the idea of having a bed and bed cover to store larger items when towing.
There is some additional info in the sticky at the top of this forum > Good News For Ford TOADS.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #12

Hermosa how far do you plan on towing the ranger.
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampsrv View Post
Hermosa how far do you plan on towing the ranger.
Hi,
This is actually for a friend we RV with, a normal trip for us is 3 to 4 hours each way. If I went with a Ranger, I would be towing 2 weekends a year, 4 hours each way each trip.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #14

We tow a 2007 Ranger 4x4 auto four down. It needed a app $80 dollar kit from Ford installed and comp programed thats all. Check Remco web sight for listings of four down towable of older Rangers.

Dave
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, towing