Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2016, 07:19 AM   #1

Smile Towing a GMC Terrain with2006 Gulfstream Tourmaster T40

Hello and thanks for the new member message. I have a question about what is the best way to tow a new FWD GMC Terrain. We are thinking of a flat tow. Has anyone any advice about this? We are really really new RVers and know we will make mistakes as we go along, just want to possibly benefit from other experiences and wisdom....
suzpatry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

You didn't mention what year your GMC Terrain is, but the 2016 model can be dinghy towed. (pg 259) https://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/...ers-manual.pdf

I didn't look up earlier models, just follow the instructions for towing. At under 4,000 lbs, it should be towable by any RV with a Class III hitch.

Be sure to get auxiliary braking for your 'toad,' you want to be safe!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:25 PM   #3

We tow a 2012 Equinox with no problems, it is one of the easiest tow vehicles we have towed in over 30 years. We use Road master tow bar and Ready brake. Equinox is the Chevrolet version of the Terrain.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #4

We tow a 2014 Equinox and think I makes a great toad. Ours is the V6 with hyd PS. Friends have a 2013 with the 4 cyl which has electric PS. They have problems with severe side to side shaking. Jeep has the same problems with the Cherokee which also has electric PS. Jeep has decided that the problem is the lack of resistance when the PS is off so have developed a work around that will keep it powered while being towed. Understand that those that have the problem are a relatively small number but if you Terrain is the 4 cyl and has electric PS, I'd think twice before investing the funds to tow 4 down.

Good luck,
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
We tow a 2014 Equinox and think I makes a great toad. Ours is the V6 with hyd PS. Friends have a 2013 with the 4 cyl which has electric PS. They have problems with severe side to side shaking. Jeep has the same problems with the Cherokee which also has electric PS. Jeep has decided that the problem is the lack of resistance when the PS is off so have developed a work around that will keep it powered while being towed. Understand that those that have the problem are a relatively small number but if you Terrain is the 4 cyl and has electric PS, I'd think twice before investing the funds to tow 4 down.

Good luck,
I've read that the Cherokee has this problem and I've seen the remedy seems to be a wiring harness to power the PS even when ignition is off. They seem to have problems getting this harness or whatever done, it was due in February, I understand, and still no word of it's availability.

If the problem is due to lack of resistance that allows oscillation, I wonder why a steering damper wouldn't help? Anyone hear of trying a damper?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Store : Remco

Fill in the form and it will tell you what you need.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulfstream, tow, towing