Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Towing a H2 Hummer

Hi all,

I'm going to tow my H2 Hummer behind our Diplomat. I have no idea what needs to be done to my H2 for us to be able to tow it. Does anyone have experience in towing Hummers?
Also will I have to visibly mount this huge plate on the front of my H2?

Thanks for letting me know

Danny
Translators7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translators7 View Post
Hi all,

I'm going to tow my H2 Hummer behind our Diplomat. I have no idea what needs to be done to my H2 for us to be able to tow it. Does anyone have experience in towing Hummers?
Also will I have to visibly mount this huge plate on the front of my H2?

Thanks for letting me know

Danny
The H2 Hummer is based on the Chevy Suburban, and according to FMCA, it is towable 4 down. I'm guessing all you have to do is put the transfer case in neutral, pull a fuse and go. Consult the owners manual BEFORE buying any vehicle to make sure it is towable.

Below is a photo of a Blue Ox baseplate. The attachment tabs are the silver-colored projections on either side of the license plate. They are not very noticeable and seem to fit in quite well with the Hummer's overall rugged appearance.

paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Danny......I've towed three different trucks now behind my Diplomat. We bought a new 2012 Silverado 4x4 last week and I just finished setting it up to tow.

Needed:

You'll need a good heavy duty tow bar. A very popular one that is made from aluminum is the Roadmaster, Sterling, All Terrain towbar. It will handle 6k and is a well made bar. Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain Motorhome-Mounted Tow Bar - 6,000 lbs Roadmaster Tow Bars RM-576.

I try to use the same brand base plates as the tow bar. Roadmaster is one of the biggest brands. They have three types of baseplates for your Hummer. I like their MX brackets because they have a simple attachment for the safety cables Roadmaster Tow Bar Mounting Brackets / Base Plates. The safety cables on the All Terrain model are incorporated in the tow bar through built in channels. The MX brackets have a small plate with a hole on the bottom side that lets you use a locking link to quickly connect. If you order one of their tow bars, make sure you order the safety cable that works with the baseplate brackets you are buying.

You'll need to buy a braking system for a vehicle that size. I do all of my own installs and repairs and I was willing to pay for the best braking system out there, but it wasn't that simple. There are at least six or seven different styles of brake systems. Some are in a box that sit in the vehicle and push on the pedal. These were the first generation of brakes and are problematic. M&G makes a unit that attaches to your master cyclinder (one time installation) and uses your air brakes to operate. I have the SMI Air Force One system that uses my air brakes, but allows me to move it to a different vehicle if I buy a new one.

There are several that use a piston attached to your brake pedal and push after it gets a signal from it's controller. Some of these have the piston hidden and permanently installed and some you put in place on each trip.

There is another system called the Ready Brake which is a tow bar with a surge brake mounted to it. As you stop your coach, it pushes on the surge brake which in turn pulls a cable that is attached to your brake pedal. Many like the ease and simplicity of this system, but no one has ever been able to explain to me how well it works once your vacumn canister runs out of air and the brake pedal in the car becomes rock hard.

Lastly, you'll need to wire in brake lights. I've tried several ways, including the diodes. I now just like to add a second bulb to the OEM lense if there is room. On my new 2012, I went to the auto parts store and bought a couple of the new style sockets that are flat on the outsude and use the bayonet light bulb. It was a very easy/clean install because the sockets took up half the room and they have a foam seal that sealed them against the brake light housing.

You're looking at spending between a $1000.00 and $2000.00 to set up your HummerH2.

I've done the installs above on several vehicles. If you have any further questions, send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Towing an H2 Hummer

Hi all,

I bought the BLUE OX AVENTA ll TOW BAR to pull my H2 Hummer behind my 275HP 1999 Monaco Diplomat 38A. Can anyone tell me if this is a wise decision and what modifications besides the baseplate I need to do on my H2. Also what do I need to do in order to be able to pull it. Does I just put it in neutral or are there other things I need to do

Thanks

Danny
Old 06-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Danny....I posted this over in the Class A forum where you asked this question the first time and there was no mention of the Blue Ox tow bar.

FROM CLASS A FORUM-

Danny......I've towed three different trucks now behind my Diplomat. We bought a new 2012 Silverado 4x4 last week and I just finished setting it up to tow.

Needed:

You'll need a good heavy duty tow bar. A very popular one that is made from aluminum is the Roadmaster, Sterling, All Terrain towbar. It will handle 6k and is a well made bar. Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain Motorhome-Mounted Tow Bar - 6,000 lbs Roadmaster Tow Bars RM-576.

I try to use the same brand base plates as the tow bar. Roadmaster is one of the biggest brands. They have three types of baseplates for your Hummer. I like their MX brackets because they have a simple attachment for the safety cables Roadmaster Tow Bar Mounting Brackets / Base Plates. The safety cables on the All Terrain model are incorporated in the tow bar through built in channels. The MX brackets have a small plate with a hole on the bottom side that lets you use a locking link to quickly connect. If you order one of their tow bars, make sure you order the safety cable that works with the baseplate brackets you are buying.

You'll need to buy a braking system for a vehicle that size. I do all of my own installs and repairs and I was willing to pay for the best braking system out there, but it wasn't that simple. There are at least six or seven different styles of brake systems. Some are in a box that sit in the vehicle and push on the pedal. These were the first generation of brakes and are problematic. M&G makes a unit that attaches to your master cyclinder (one time installation) and uses your air brakes to operate. I have the SMI Air Force One system that uses my air brakes, but allows me to move it to a different vehicle if I buy a new one.

There are several that use a piston attached to your brake pedal and push after it gets a signal from it's controller. Some of these have the piston hidden and permanently installed and some you put in place on each trip.

There is another system called the Ready Brake which is a tow bar with a surge brake mounted to it. As you stop your coach, it pushes on the surge brake which in turn pulls a cable that is attached to your brake pedal. Many like the ease and simplicity of this system, but no one has ever been able to explain to me how well it works once your vacumn canister runs out of air and the brake pedal in the car becomes rock hard.

Lastly, you'll need to wire in brake lights. I've tried several ways, including the diodes. I now just like to add a second bulb to the OEM lense if there is room. On my new 2012, I went to the auto parts store and bought a couple of the new style sockets that are flat on the outsude and use the bayonet light bulb. It was a very easy/clean install because the sockets took up half the room and they have a foam seal that sealed them against the brake light housing.

You're looking at spending between a $1000.00 and $2000.00 to set up your HummerH2.

I've done the installs above on several vehicles. If you have any further questions, send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don...It appears that Danny needs more detailed info and perhaps more help than the PM and phone number you offered. He might need you to install it for him. Of course it would have helped if he had mentioned he had already bought a tow bar. I have always wondered why someone asks for advice on what to buy AFTER he's bought it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Danny....I posted this over in the Class A forum where you asked this question the first time and there was no mention of the Blue Ox tow bar.

FROM CLASS A FORUM-

Needed:

Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe
Don...It appears that Danny needs more detailed info and perhaps more help than the PM and phone number you offered. He might need you to install it for him. Of course it would have helped if he had mentioned he had already bought a tow bar. I have always wondered why someone asks for advice on what to buy AFTER he's bought it.
I bought it after I asked the seller if my H2 could be pulled with this bar and he said yes. I got doubt after reading a posting. That's all

I'm a rookie RVing and I really appreciate all the advise I get from Don

Danny
Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Danny...You can buy baseplates from Blue OX or even Roadmaster that are desigened to work with the Blue Ox. I still think your hardest decision will be the braking system.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #9

Danny- IIWMI'd get a two bar rated for 10,000 lbs. I believe your hitch is rated at that. The Sterling mentioned above is marginal IMO for an H2 (tho a great tow bar); Roadmaster has a steel unit at 10k if you go that route. I believe Blue Ox also has a 10K unit, but I personally wouldn't trust an aluminum tow bar w/that weight of vehicle.

You also need a good toad braking system as discussed above.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:08 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Yall,
Just bought a Hummer H2 to tow behind our 45' Signature Series. Just wanted to thank you for all the info already posted. I will definately be going with the steel tow bar. I just dont trust the aluminum. And honestly with a 45 footer towing a Hummer I dont think the weight difference of the aluminum would affect my mileage much....HAHA
thanks again,
Brett
YachtSea2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing