Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
towing a honda civic auto. 4 wheels down

I have towed a 2002 Honda Civic automatic for ten years with no problems. This car is not rated by Honda for a toad, but it works fine if you follow the set up instructions. It is time to trade and I want to know if anyone is towing the 2012 auto. civic 4 wheels down. Have you had any problems? If not a 2012, how about a 2011.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
new toad

I just bought a Honda Fit with auto trans., hard to find the sport model with manual
tjsouth51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a 2011 Honda CR-V auto and Honda states you can tow 4 down for 8 hours if you follow their procedure. It only takes 3 to 4 minutes to run.

Dave
2004 Monaco Signature
Detroit 60
Honda CR-V
Old 09-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #4

ga-traverlr -- You can NOT tow any of the Civics or Accords that have the newfangled variable speed tranny. I forget the Honda technical name for that tranny, but it has a three letter acronym like CVS, or CTS, or something like that. It is a computer controlled variable ratio thing that will be severely damaged if towed. I believe this tranny was available in some of the 2009 and newer Civic's and Accords and may be the only tranny available in 2012's.

I tow a 2009 Civic with the traditional auto tranny with all 4-wheels down with no problem. This tranny is basically the same tranny Honda used from about 1995 forward and is basically the same tranny used in all Honda products.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The Civic hybrids have a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) and require a dolly. Have not heard that the regular automatic is any different than previous years and cannot be towed, but cannot say so for sure.

Remco Towing doesn't list any new transmission info for the 2011 model either.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
ga-traverlr -- You can NOT tow any of the Civics or Accords that have the newfangled variable speed tranny. I forget the Honda technical name for that tranny, but it has a three letter acronym like CVS, or CTS, or something like that. It is a computer controlled variable ratio thing that will be severely damaged if towed. I believe this tranny was available in some of the 2009 and newer Civic's and Accords and may be the only tranny available in 2012's.

I tow a 2009 Civic with the traditional auto tranny with all 4-wheels down with no problem. This tranny is basically the same tranny Honda used from about 1995 forward and is basically the same tranny used in all Honda products.
I talked to Honda, The CVT is only in the hybrid. You are correct that the CVT will self destruct if towed. The transmission they are using in the 2012 is the same basic design as yours. I have talked to my hitch man and he says he has installed several base plates on 2011 & 2012 with no problems. I have decided to go for it. If I have any problems with it, I will post them.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
We tow a 2011 Honda CR-V auto and Honda states you can tow 4 down for 8 hours if you follow their procedure. It only takes 3 to 4 minutes to run.
But the OP wants to tow a Civic, which is NOT rated to tow four down, the CR-V is.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
2011 Honda Fit auto states in the maual what to do to tow. Should not have a problem. The CVT tranny is not towalble.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #9

I recently purchased an older Motor Home and have a 2010 Civic four door sedan with automatic and will not rig it for towing since the owners manual says no. Remco says tow-able as is but Honda would certainly not warrant it if failure occurs. Don't think I want a Dolly because of storage and moving it after it is un-hooked. I have to do something about towing but not until I am sure.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Ken,

I had a 1998 Honda Civic and towed it all over the states on a tow dolly and had no problems, in fact I towed it to Alaska and home 11,361 miles without a hitch.

Tow dollies are no problem if you do it right and get a good one. You have to put a third wheel on it to be able to push it around or be able to back it up while attached to rig (without toad of course). Most of the time I ask for a pull thru site and leave dolly hooked up to RV and just take the car off. My rig didn't even know the car was back there.

Now I tow a 2011 Ford Escape on the same dolly and don't have a problem or expect too but like anything else you have to take care of it.

Good luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #11

We just purchased a 2012 Thor Challenger and currently have a 2007 Honda CRV, but are thinking of trading it in on a 2011 Honda FIT. Which towbar did you go with?
Flipdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ga Traveler, as a RV serviceman, my RV has been at the dealer for over 3 weeks, as I had the coach for less than 24hrs. They were to replace both levelers at the rear, one leaking and the other sticking, slide motor and switch, plus a few minor things. I think the time spent at the dealer is excessive, what do you think? Tim
Old 10-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Blue ox base plate and Alladin tow bar. If I did it over I would go with the Ready brake bar because I put the Ready Brake system on the coach, and they have a tow bar that do goes with it and it makes for a cleaner and shorter system.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsouth51 View Post
Ga Traveler, as a RV serviceman, my RV has been at the dealer for over 3 weeks, as I had the coach for less than 24hrs. They were to replace both levelers at the rear, one leaking and the other sticking, slide motor and switch, plus a few minor things. I think the time spent at the dealer is excessive, what do you think? Tim
the repair time on these items is less than two days at the most. The problem you run into is parts. You need to call the service manager and talk to him. As long as you are silent, they think you are a happy camper. If you can't get a satisfactory answer from him, call back and talk to the owner. Be courteous but be firm.

Tags
towing