Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2020, 02:15 PM   #1

Towing a Jeep behind Phaeton Motorhome

My wife and I recently bought a new jeep wrangler with a 2 " lift kit and 33 inch tires.
We were towing a standard Jeep Wrangler behind the motorhome. Our towing equipment is blue ox.
My question is Do we need to add anything to the height of the blue ox towing equipment since the Jeep is higher

Thanks Robert
robblan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Depends on your actual received height at the coach in relation to the attachment point height on the Jeep. You want the tow bar as level as possible when sitting on level ground. I've heard many quote the manufacturers stating 4" +/- is acceptable but I shoot for 2" variation max.

I also don't like to go any more than 6" riser or drop at the coach, but that's just me.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Robert, I have a JK with a 2" lift but only stock size 32" tires. I have no problem at all towing and it sets perfectly level with my Demco base plate and tow bar. As Mike said, you may have to get a riser for the hitch, but if you are within 2-4" you are just fine.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:25 PM   #4

You will have to measure once you get the faceplate installed---some folks go with an aftermarket bumper with approved pull tabs....general rule is tow bar should be nor more than 2in high or low from level with RV aired up. Personally, I don't like the Jeep tabs higher than the coach, so its either level or 2 inches low for me....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robblan View Post
My wife and I recently bought a new jeep wrangler with a 2 " lift kit and 33 inch tires.
We were towing a standard Jeep Wrangler behind the motorhome. Our towing equipment is blue ox.
My question is Do we need to add anything to the height of the blue ox towing equipment since the Jeep is higher

Thanks Robert
Robert,
It really doesn't matter what your lift, tires and wheels, and anything else is on the Jeep. All that really matters is, you get your tow bar, within 4" of level. Now, what I mean when I say "4" inches, that is, no more than two inches below LEVEL and two inches above LEVEL. That is typically the range of relationship from Coach to toad for most tow bar makers.

If you towed a bone stock Jeep Wrangler before, and your tow bar was lets say, dead level, and, you lift that Jeep with a 10" lift (that's a bit high but, you get the point), then, you're gonna need to raise the tow bar attachment point on the coach, a minimum of 8". You'd still have a 2" drop from the coach to the toad but, you'd be within the normal designated limits of most tow bar manufacturers. Hope this helps some.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #6

Towing a Jeep behind Phaeton Motorhome

All advice is right on, get it as level as possible, make sure the coach is at ride height before measuring, obviously be on a level area. Figure the difference and adjust the height of the tow bar with a hitch receiver extension with the appropriate lift. They are inexpensive given the fact that it can easily adjust the essential geometry. I currently run a 10 inch riser. They are available on Amazon and camping world on line.

[ATTACH]311420
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1475.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	311420  
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep, motor, motorhome, phaeton, tow, towing