Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #1

Towing a Jeep behind Phaeton Motorhome

I have a 40 foot phaeton motorhome that we pull a jeep behind

I traded in my 2009 jeep wrangler and purchased a 2021 jeep wrangler with a 2" lift kit and 35 "tires

My question is, when we towed the 2009 jeep we had to leave the ignition on ACC power and disconnect the battery per instructions in jeep manual.

Does any one know if the 2021 version the same? The new jeep has push button start not key start. We read the jeep operation manual and it does not say anything about leaving anything on or disconnect battery while pulling.
Thanks
Robert
robblan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #2
NXR

The Owners Manual is the only definitive source you should trust.

https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/s...1-wrangler.pdf

Search for motorhome. It appears to start on page 199.

Did the older Jeep have a locking steering wheel and does the new one?

Ray
Old 01-26-2021, 03:09 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
2018 on JL wranglers do not need the key on. Also they are push button start. Once you have the t-case in neutral and trans in park or gear for a manual you're good to go.

Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
My 2020 is ignition off, transfer case in neutral. Transmission in park.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:54 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jeep removed the steering wheel lock mid-way through the 2008 model year - every Wrangler built since then has not had a steering wheel lock.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robblan View Post
I have a 40 foot phaeton motorhome that we pull a jeep behind

I traded in my 2009 jeep wrangler and purchased a 2021 jeep wrangler with a 2" lift kit and 35 "tires

My question is, when we towed the 2009 jeep we had to leave the ignition on ACC power and disconnect the battery per instructions in jeep manual.

Does any one know if the 2021 version the same? The new jeep has push button start not key start. We read the jeep operation manual and it does not say anything about leaving anything on or disconnect battery while pulling.
Thanks
Robert
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!
The steering lock was disabled 1/2 way through the '08 production year.

OP,
It's too bad you went through all that putting the key in the ACC position and, disconnecting the battery stuff on your '09 for as long as you did/towed your Jeep. YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO!!!!!

Jeep screwed up a whole bunch of owners manuals in your '09 era and, they knew it. They did try and reach out to SOME of the owners and either send them new owners manuals or, at least revisions of theirs. But, they didn't reach all the owners. Anyway, all the owners manuals have been validated to be ACCURATE when it comes to towing preps ever since that screw up. So, following your present owners manual for your new Jeep should dictate your actions.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:09 PM   #7

I read the owners manual on the jeep and it does not state anything about having to have ignition on or disconnect battery

Thanks for the help

robert
Old 01-27-2021, 05:41 PM   #8

Towing a 2020 Jeep Wrangler. I would think your 2021 would be the same as mine for towing but always check the owners manual.
Mine is as stated a few times above.
Transfer case in neutral, transmission in park. The ignition does not need to be in Acc. Leave the ignition turned off. No need to disconnect the battery.

Jeep Wrangler is the easiest toad on the road IMHO.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:27 PM   #9

Thanks for the information. We are looking to upgrade or 2013 Jeep Wrangler with a new 2021. Nice to know not much has changed in the flat towing set up.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:47 AM   #10

Another question.

I pulled my old jeep with a blue ox tow package and now i need to install a new base plate on my new Jeep.

Has anyone installed a base plate and wiring the jeep for towing or did you go to a shop to have installed.

Thanks
Robert
Old 01-29-2021, 12:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Did it myselfClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	552.7 KB
ID:	316219

Very easy.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:58 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Has anyone installed a base plate and wiring the jeep for towing or did you go to a shop to have installed.
When we bought my wife's 2017 JKU a year ago I was going to install the Blue Ox baseplate myself. I got as far as removing the bolts holding the bumper - there are 2 bolts that are well-protected by a vacuum pump that is placed in such a way that the bolts holding IT are hard to deal with. I didn't have the tools needed so I ended up taking it to a shop for the install. I did everything else - brakes and lights install - myself.

This year I'm going to be setting up my 2020 Gladiator for towing and I'll most likely do that one myself, because I'm going to be using a new bumper and tow bar adapters rather than the OEM bumper and Blue Ox baseplate.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:22 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I installed a demco baseplate on my 2018 JLU. Other than needing a second person to remove and reinstall the bumper it was a one person job. No drilling or cutting.
Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Another question.

I pulled my old jeep with a blue ox tow package and now i need to install a new base plate on my new Jeep.

Thanks
Robert
I installed everything on my new Jeep. It was time consuming for me but I did it one piece at the time.

Tags
jeep, motor, motorhome, phaeton, tow, towing