Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2017, 04:20 AM   #29

Question on the lexus gx as toad. Do you tow that lexus 4 wheels down? What year Gx? Any special trans modications added?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2017, 05:07 AM   #30

The lexus is a 2007. Yes, I tow 4 wheels down, and no transmission or any other modifications were necessary. I would have never discovered using it if it were not for the need of 6 passengers (sometimes more) and asking questions on this and other forums. When I read online "best 4 down cars" or whatever, the lexus was never to be found. Seems it's a well kept secret.
collecter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:35 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Been towing my 2009 Jeep Wrangler since new, never a problem.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:57 AM   #32

"Investing" in larger/more aggressive off-road tires for a towed Jeep can be an expensive proposition. Varies from rig to rig and by tow bar set-up but some towed Jeeps tend to experience "excessive" front tire wear--can't explain the variations. Requires frequent tire rotation to distribute wear across all 4 tires.......Otherwise, a Jeep is a great tow vehicle.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:35 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
We used a base plate with blue ox on our 2012 2 door Wrangler. When we switched to a 2017 4 door I changed the front bumper to a RockHard which you can get with built in tow brackets and makes hook up just a little quicker. Both are excellent toads 4-down and I do think the 4 door is a little better choice because of the room it provides. We used an RV Brake 2 in both vehicles for supplemental braking. If you buy used, get at least a 2012 or newer for the better engine. jmo mark BTW- It was easier to install the new front bumper on the 2017 than putting the baseplate on the 2012! Also, you can get the bumper in aluminum if you want to lighten the front end.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:02 AM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
We tow a 2017 wrangler 4 door with all roadmaster equipment, base plate and a stowmaster tow bar. Easy to use, I installed a brake light diode kit and use a brake buddy classic set at 50 psi and sensitivity on 4. This set up works very well, we have towed about 7000 miles with it with no issues.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #35

I tow a 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 and have had no issues. Barely know its back there. I pull with Blue Ox and have a 360 horsepower diesel pusher. Love it!
Canefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #36

Towed a 2014 2-door jeep wrangler for past three years with no problems at all. Wanted something that could carry up to 5 passengers with spare room for luggage, groceries, etc. Purchased a 2017 jeep cherokee latitude with active drive II transmission. Push a button and it is ready to tow. A bit easier tow set-up than my wrangler.
yreka6054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by collecter56 View Post
The lexus is a 2007. Yes, I tow 4 wheels down, and no transmission or any other modifications were necessary. I would have never discovered using it if it were not for the need of 6 passengers (sometimes more) and asking questions on this and other forums. When I read online "best 4 down cars" or whatever, the lexus was never to be found. Seems it's a well kept secret.
It's probably because Lexus advises against it in the owners manual. See page 180 of your 2007 manual. I have an LX470 and would love to but don't want to chance it.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:54 PM   #38

The Lx is a great car. I'm probably going to get either that or the land cruiser for my next car. Sadly there are only certain years where you can get a baseplate. I'm actually wanting anyone who is currently towing an LX or a land cruiser to share they're experience. Regarding the owners manual, to be honest, I never read it. I bought the car specifically to flat tow. Upon advice of several forum participants who tow the GX, I took the plunge. I've towed a few thousand miles already... no problems yet, but if something arises, I will post the problem. For those reading, who don't know, the LX and GX are similar cars, not the same. The LX is roomier, and a bit heavier. Like I said earlier, I would love to flat tow one, so if you decide to take the plunge, let me know, or if your currently towing one, please share your experience.
collecter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #39
Administrator Emeritus

Just picked this baby up this evening, already ordered the Blue OX base plate but I have a dilemma.... She replaces an F150 where I used the SMI Air Force One, which taps into the coach air... I'm tempted to go that route again, but when I did the AF1, the dealer in FL installed it.

Only dealer close to home is a Roadmaster dealer and they're trying to sell me on the Invisbrake...

What is the consensus?

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
Just picked this baby up this evening, already ordered the Blue OX base plate but I have a dilemma.... She replaces an F150 where I used the SMI Air Force One, which taps into the coach air... I'm tempted to go that route again, but when I did the AF1, the dealer in FL installed it.

Only dealer close to home is a Roadmaster dealer and they're trying to sell me on the Invisbrake...

What is the consensus?

I would stick with the AF1 or put an M&G on the Jeep.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:19 PM   #41

Rebelsbeach,
In your situation, I'd go with an M & G in a heartbeat. You have the air already at the back of the coach. If you don't know about the suggested M & G, absolutely NOTHING goes inside the Jeep. You install that unit between the power brake booster and the master cylinder for a ONE TIME deal and, YOU'RE DONE.

From that point on , there's nothing in the Jeep to hook up and or disconnect each time you get ready to tow or, disconnect from towing. And a really, really, REALLY good part, since that M & G unit actuates the master cylinder piston ONLY, your brake pedal in the Jeep will not be activated which means, NO BRAKE LIGHTS from the Jeeps brake light switch which means, no conflict of signals being sent to the Jeeps tail lights from both the Jeep and the motor home during braking and turning.

And, as a suggestion for toad light wiring, I'd use this one in a heartbeat:

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-56200...=Hopkins+56200

This is a plug and play unit. No drilling, not cutting, nothing. It's worked flawlessly for many of us on here.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:27 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post

What is the consensus?

Rebelsbeach,

I towed a Chevrolet 2500HD pickup before I bought my Jeep Wrangler. I installed the Air Force One system myself in both toads and on the coach. I would recommend doing the same again.

The installation on the toad is easy and very straight forward, just watch the YouTube video from the manufacturer.

I love how easy it is to hook up the air line via the quick connects and be ready to roll in just a few minutes. As you know, operation is seamless.

I'm not familiar with the other brand mentioned, it might be a good way to go as well.

Jim
zo66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow