Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Towing a Jeep Wrangler four down

I would like to hear experiences and problems people have encountered when towing a Wrangler four down as a toad. I am considering picking one up for this purpose and trading in my daily driver. I had a late 90s model I bought new but sold in 02 when I needed a bigger vehicle. At this point I'd probably get a couple year old four door model. Please include your thoughts on different brands of tow bars and other needed equipment. Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #2

Use the search function and you'll find more threads on this topic than you'll ever have time to read.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I tried that. The search function on this website is horrible. It returns numerous threads that aren't related.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #4

We just finish an 8000 mile trip towing 4 down a wrangler 2 door-- little to small so we just traded in for a 4 door wrangle that will be my full time daily driver-- use a blue ox and added a rear hitch for the bikes
charliearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
I would like to hear experiences and problems people have encountered when towing a Wrangler four down as a toad. I am considering picking one up for this purpose and trading in my daily driver. I had a late 90s model I bought new but sold in 02 when I needed a bigger vehicle. At this point I'd probably get a couple year old four door model. Please include your thoughts on different brands of tow bars and other needed equipment. Thanks in advance.
We tow a Jeep Wrangler 4 down - started with a 2012 and now a 2016 both automatic. We have had absolutely no problems. The sequence for putting the transfer case in and out of Neutral is straightforward and done in just a few steps. We use Blue Ox equipment - baseplate on the Jeep, Alpha towbar, and Patriot Brake.
Trvl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #6

In 04 we towed an 02 2 door. Towed it with no problems but also found it to be to small. Liked the ease of towing it and bought an 03 Liberty. Have had some type of Jeep every since. Now have a 15 Cherokee and just love all the extras. In the 02 and 03 we had to leave a key in it to unlock the steering wheel. No longer have to do that since Jeep took the lock off the steering wheel.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #7

Works great, just have to get used to the transfer case in and out of neutral. In my Rubicon I have to go from neutral to 4 low then roll it forward in 4L through neutral back to 2 high while rolling.

No steering lock, Mopar brake light harness, goes anywhere, its seem to be the perfect toad.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
we towed a 2006 rubicon for several years with no problems. The 2 door model was just a little small for us so traded it in on the current CRV, but miss the jeep. Looking at newer 4 door jeeps, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

We tow with a roadmaster tow bar and a brake buddy. Never a problem with any of the equipment.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #9

We tow a 04 jeep wrangler with roadmaster stow away and brake buddy. Absolutly no problems tows great. The perfect toad in my opinion as well.
rdd001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #10

You can see ours listed below. Easy to hook up and unhook less than 5 min. each.
Wrangler is nice to get around town in and for getting around when camped. Not so great on the highway. If we were doing it again I probably would get the hardtop and wife might force me to get the 4dr. Personally it's nice to have the 2dr for the most part. Only thing is with the soft top it is hard to load and unload the back and it's kind of tight for golf clubs.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
We tow with a roadmaster tow bar and a brake buddy. Never a problem with any of the equipment.

Same here. 17 years with both, and flawless. On our 3rd toad with this setup: Saturn, 12 Wrangler, 17 Wrangler Unlimited
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Towing a Jeep Wrangler four down

2016 Wrangler Sport Unlimited. 4 door hardtop. Blue Ox baseplate. Ready Brute Elite towbar (10,000lb). No tie into the coach air system for brakes. Single aircraft wire to toad brake pedal. Has worked great so far. No problems. I replaced a tow dolly after < 1 year use with this 4-down method. Glad I did it.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3750.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	543.4 KB
ID:	180310
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I really can't think of anything I would rather tow.

We have a 2016 Hardtop Wrangler JKU...with Blue Ox Baseplate, SMI AF1 brake system and the Mopar wiring for lighting. It a blast. My wife and I both love driving it. It can carry our carbin bikes inside...we usually carry my. bikes on a 1UpUSA rack ( which can flip down to open the rear...and folds up for storage) and we are adding a Gobi Steath rack for kayaks and other items as needed.

I cannot think of anything that can do all that...Oh, and also take it off roading.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:00 PM   #14

Towed my 08 JKU x for a few years. Blue ox baseplate and tow bar and also used the brake buddy.

I would say if your going used get 2012 and newer. The original JK’s 3.8L is super weak. The 12+ with the reworked interior, smaller and 90HP more powerful engine and reworked trans is worth the extra money,

Depending on what your plans are will determine which trim to get or options you need on the Jeep.

Presently I have a 16 JKU Rubicon hard rock... also presently do not own a RV, lost it in the divorce... hopefully soon I can get another.

O yea, I was originally going to get used but they hold their value so well, I ordered what I wanted. If you go to jeep.com and build what you want, you should be able to get a new one for 10-15% off MSRP.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow