Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
Modification of a leased vehicle, in any manner, is a very slippery slope. You may not be happy with your arrival at the bottom of said slope.
I have to agree with this! Maybe you should (Hambone) think about buying outright. Then you can do as you want. Payments are likely the same as lease costs anyway.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I have to agree with this! Maybe you should (Hambone) think about buying outright. Then you can do as you want. Payments are likely the same as lease costs anyway.
Happy Glamping.
I wish they were. On Wranglers, the lease payment is significantly lower than purchase price. We may purchase outright at the end of the lease.

I understand the concerns, but what I'm asking here is with two little holes on the frame for a bolt to go through and replacing a piece of plastic seems like it would be pretty difficult for them to know. As a matter of fact, the piece of plastic that I would replace would have to be removed to even see the two holes that would be there.

As far as going to the dealership, I don't plan unless there is a recall. As far as I know, service departments aren't paying much attention to whether there is something installed. I can also remove the tow bar with the removal of two bolts and putting a new plastic cover on, so easy enough to restore it to factory for the few times I might need to take it to the dealership.

The whole inquiry is what is the least intrusive base plate and braking device. I was very interested in the Ready Brute Elite, but I would have to put a hole in the firewall, which would be easier to find at vehicle turn in at the end of the lease.

So are there any ideas on what would be the least intrusive?
Old 11-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
What auxiliary braking system are you going to install on the Jeep?
Arch, I'm asking for advice for the least intrusive option. I don't know what is a better option than a small hole in the firewall for the Ready Brute Elite's system. The Alpine Coach doesn't have air brakes, so systems that require tapping into the coach's air are out as options for ours.

Any ideas?
Old 11-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
That piece of plastic that the instructions says has to be trimmed is just an air dam below the bumper and can be removed and left off. However as others have posted, check your lease agreement to make sure you won't wind up with a penalty. As for braking systems, something like the RVI3 that lays in the floorboard will work. The breakaway switch can be routed in a way you don't have to drill holes. The other consideration is lighting. Unless you use magnetic tow lights, some kind of modification will be required to have the required lighting.
Dan, although not preferred, I think the easiest and least intrusive route will be magnetic lights.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Arch, I'm asking for advice for the least intrusive option. I don't know what is a better option than a small hole in the firewall for the Ready Brute Elite's system. The Alpine Coach doesn't have air brakes, so systems that require tapping into the coach's air are out as options for ours.

Any ideas?
I have a gas coach and use a U.S. Gear braking system.

It uses a controller mounted on the dash of my coach and a bunch of stuff in the toad.

I didn't install it, had somebody install it that does it for a living.

Unified Tow Brake
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:01 AM   #20

A lease is a legal contract. You are planning on not following the contract. A breach of contract. Certainly illegal. IMHO also dishonest. I would add`Shame on you`
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
A lease is a legal contract. You are planning on not following the contract. A breach of contract. Certainly illegal. IMHO also dishonest. I would add`Shame on you`
Thanks for passing your judgement.

If my breach of contract would affect anyone or anything in a negative way, I obviously wouldn't consider it. In this case, what I'm doing, in no way, shape or form, would negatively impact the manufacturer or potential future owner.

Now if we could get back to the questions I asked, that would be lovely...
Old 11-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #22

Without getting into a contract dispute, let’s not forget that towing behind an RV does not accumulate miles on the toad. So, depending on how many miles may be towed, how would anyone like to be the second owner of that vehicle.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Without getting into a contract dispute, let’s not forget that towing behind an RV does not accumulate miles on the toad. So, depending on how many miles may be towed, how would anyone like to be the second owner of that vehicle.
First, I take impeccable care of my things, regardless if they are lease or not. Second, I work full-time and am still Active Duty. 2,000 miles a year on the RV is a busy year for us. Third, I don't put 10,000 miles a year on a car, so I would love to be the second owner of one of my vehicles. Fourth, most people owning Wranglers put them in the mud and tough environments; that's not my forte.

So... Would you rather own a higher mileage Jeep put in the mud and not taken care of? Or would you rather own a low mileage Jeep never put in mud and harsh environments that is well-cared for with 5-10K miles of it being towed? The entire reason we leased instead of purchasing a used model in our price range is because most that we could find had high miles, or had been put in the mud and tough environments, or wasn't well cared for, or a combination of these.

I never thought I would catch such flak for asking such simple questions. What's the easiest and least invasive base plate and braking system?

I'm probably going to buy it at the end of the lease anyways...
Old 11-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
I wish they were. On Wranglers, the lease payment is significantly lower than purchase price. We may purchase outright at the end of the lease.

I understand the concerns, but what I'm asking here is with two little holes on the frame for a bolt to go through and replacing a piece of plastic seems like it would be pretty difficult for them to know. As a matter of fact, the piece of plastic that I would replace would have to be removed to even see the two holes that would be there.

As far as going to the dealership, I don't plan unless there is a recall. As far as I know, service departments aren't paying much attention to whether there is something installed. I can also remove the tow bar with the removal of two bolts and putting a new plastic cover on, so easy enough to restore it to factory for the few times I might need to take it to the dealership.

The whole inquiry is what is the least intrusive base plate and braking device. I was very interested in the Ready Brute Elite, but I would have to put a hole in the firewall, which would be easier to find at vehicle turn in at the end of the lease.

So are there any ideas on what would be the least intrusive?
Hambone, it sounds like you have the tow bar mount plate figured out.
I use one of the original Brake Buddy braking systems. It is self contained, and no alterations are needed to install or remove it.
The break-away switch could be mounted on a bracket, easy to remove.
For lights, just use the magnetic ones like someone suggested.
So the only mods would be the holes you will cover with the plastic at the end of the lease. Nobody will be the wiser.
It sounds like you may even decide to buy out the lease in the end, so go for it.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Hambone, it sounds like you have the tow bar mount plate figured out.
I use one of the original Brake Buddy braking systems. It is self contained, and no alterations are needed to install or remove it.
The break-away switch could be mounted on a bracket, easy to remove.
For lights, just use the magnetic ones like someone suggested.
So the only mods would be the holes you will cover with the plastic at the end of the lease. Nobody will be the wiser.
It sounds like you may even decide to buy out the lease in the end, so go for it.
Happy Glamping.
Unplanned, thanks for the response. I will look into the Brake Buddy. Someone mentioned the RVIBrake3, which looks very self-contained as well. I think for ease of everything I'm going to go Blue Ox for tow bar and base plate. Their base plate only requires the two additional holes drilled in the frame. I'm not seeing anything that is any less intrusive in regards to the base plate. The tow bars are all close in price, so why not stay with the same brand?
Old 11-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
We modified ours and there are other options. My residual is 18,900 on 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a three year so I can pay the 18,900 and it's mine or I could pay if off trade on another car or I could sell it. I have found the residual is low and it is easy to purchase and sell outright and make money. The last lease I sold to a family member for the amount of the residual which was well below book. So you have options.
Since I own a business it's paid for by the business and tax benefits. So its a win wine for me.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
We modified ours and there are other options. My residual is 18,900 on 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a three year so I can pay the 18,900 and it's mine or I could pay if off trade on another car or I could sell it. I have found the residual is low and it is easy to purchase and sell outright and make money. The last lease I sold to a family member for the amount of the residual which was well below book. So you have options.
Since I own a business it's paid for by the business and tax benefits. So its a win wine for me.
CWS, so you installed a base plate on a leased vehicle? Which did you choose to go with? Did the dealership say anything when you went for maintenance?

The residuals on the Wranglers is usually pretty high, hence the low lease payment. Residual on the one we just leased will be $29,520 in 4 years. I'll see what the pricing is at that time and make a decision of whether to buy or turn it in at that point.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the Blue Ox and it was installed by the dealership so they know about it. The deal was that we buy the parts and they provide the labor for free to install the base plate and lights.

We made the same deal our Wriangler but it wasn't lease it was a purchase.

Quote:
CWS, so you installed a base plate on a leased vehicle? Which did you choose to go with? Did the dealership say anything when you went for maintenance?

The residuals on the Wranglers is usually pretty high, hence the low lease payment. Residual on the one we just leased will be $29,520 in 4 years. I'll see what the pricing is at that time and make a decision of whether to buy or turn it in at that point.

Thanks in advance.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing