Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2018, 10:28 PM   #29

To many people think there Judges on here, Someone ask a question from experienced RVers not to be ridiculed ....Judge not for ya shall be Judged !!!! So the Bible says ......
Prep your vechicle and enjoy rving ....JMO
hardint is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Are there any warranty concerns if you purchased it and towed it four wheels down? I am considering a new JL as a toad and was wondering how the dealer would respond to a power train issue during the warranty if they knew. Any reason for them to deny coverage....
Old 11-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #31

So the second owner would be buying a vehicle with maybe 15000 on the OD but more like 50 or 60,000 on the drive train .could be some issues when moving parts are wearing out and it is still under Warrentee. I would buy it outright and do what you want with it .But that is only my opinion don't take it personal do what you want.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:49 PM   #32

Blue Ox baseplate, with Readybrute Tow Bar
Easy install on the Wrangler with minimal damage.

Miles do not accumulate when towing
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
Blue Ox baseplate, with Readybrute Tow Bar
Easy install on the Wrangler with minimal damage.

Miles do not accumulate when towing
Britcon, I was originally looking at the ReadyBrute and liked the simplistic all in one design. I'm worried about the hole in the firewall for the brake line though. Isn't that a pretty sizeable hole?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #34

Anybody use the fixed tow bars that I see all over the place? They seem to be much cheaper than Blue Ox, Demco, Roadmaster, etc. Pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just my thoughts and I'm sure a lot of people will disagree. I own a Blue Ox Avial tow bar but if I was purchase one today it would be a Road Master with the channels for cable management hands down that would be choice.

Braking system I would still choose one that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle like the Blue Ox Patriot or like a model. We have two vehicles we tow and trade often and make it easier. I have no real preference on which manufacture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Anybody use the fixed tow bars that I see all over the place? They seem to be much cheaper than Blue Ox, Demco, Roadmaster, etc. Pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #36

Not a lawyer. But I did read the agreement you posted. Did anyone else. I see no reason you can’t tow the thing. Dealer only cares they can get $$$ when they sell it at the end of your lease. As long as it worth more then depreciated value.

What does the owners manual say about towing it. I would use the directions on flat towing it from the manufacturer as an intended use of the vehicle. And the lease agreement makes no exemption. I would be upfront with lease company and if they don’t allow it you should be compensated for their error in your legal contract.

Thanks for the service wish you earned enough to buy a new Jeep for that service.
thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with the statement below. Just for fun, I have a leased and a financed and both of them are though Chrysler and I check both contracts. The financed one and the leased vehicle has the same statement in it about modify the vehicle word for word. So if I'm in violation on my leased vehicle I would also be in violation on my financed vehicle.

If I was to turn in and they want me to pay to put back to original then I will have to but like said above I never let the leased vehicle go back. I will either purchase and trade it let family member buy it at the residual price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjjack View Post
Not a lawyer. But I did read the agreement you posted. Did anyone else. I see no reason you can’t tow the thing. Dealer only cares they can get $$$ when they sell it at the end of your lease. As long as it worth more then depreciated value.

What does the owners manual say about towing it. I would use the directions on flat towing it from the manufacturer as an intended use of the vehicle. And the lease agreement makes no exemption. I would be upfront with lease company and if they don’t allow it you should be compensated for their error in your legal contract.

Thanks for the service wish you earned enough to buy a new Jeep for that service.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Britcon, I was originally looking at the ReadyBrute and liked the simplistic all in one design. I'm worried about the hole in the firewall for the brake line though. Isn't that a pretty sizeable hole?

Thanks in advance.

The Wrangler JK we had, has a single layer firewall, plus some room in the engine bay to work. Actually need to drill 2 holes ( brake cable + breakaway cable ). Not large holes / no leakage issues. I routed the cables along the frame with zip ties.

Blue Ox baseplate bolts right up. As I recall, needed to drill one hole in the frame each side. Took me about a day to install base plate, cables, and light wiring.

When we changed over to the Grand Cherokee, install was an absolute " nightmare ". No room in in the engine bay, double layer firewall with wiring harness hidden inside, problems drilling holes, blue ox baseplate holes don't quite match holes in Jeep frame, need to pull off whole plastic front end. - took me a week !
Wish I had gone with an alternate brake system.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #39

Tow dolly. You have the same number of wheels on the ground, the dolly has the brakes (or should have). Magnetic lights for the back of the Jeep, wired to the dolly.

No modifications to the leased vehicle. With only 2,000 miles per year towing, spending $3,000 on towing modifications doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #40
doc

Appalachian Campers
Trailer it. Leasing dealer will not like your altering the lease vehicle. BIG "IF" the Jeep has a Smitty built type bumper with brackets built in, you might be able to pull it off w/o detection but then there is braking issues to deal with.
More importantly will be law suit issues to deal with if it violates the agreement. You will likely be forced to buy it AT THEIR price.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with dolly is you can't tow a JL with two wheels off the ground. It 4 down or 4 on trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Tow dolly. You have the same number of wheels on the ground, the dolly has the brakes (or should have). Magnetic lights for the back of the Jeep, wired to the dolly.

No modifications to the leased vehicle. With only 2,000 miles per year towing, spending $3,000 on towing modifications doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #42

Another concern is what happens if there is an accident. Whether a hit or breakaway, there will be an accident report for the insurance company and the owner, which is the leasing company itself. It will spell out exactly what you are hoping they don't find out. Violating contract could affect insurance company decision on coverage.
2 cats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing