Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #57

What most people forget is, this type Jeep does not require an actual base-plate. It may be towed with the relatively simple task of bolting the tow bar attachments to the existing bumper.
That leaves the issues of lighting and breakaway switch and braking.
Were this me, I would get a letter of approval from the lessor before making any further plans.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #58

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know how you would hook a tow bar to stock jeep bumper. I had to either change the bumper out to one that had tow rings or install a base plate on my jeep since there wasn't anything to connect a tow bar to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
What most people forget is, this type Jeep does not require an actual base-plate. It may be towed with the relatively simple task of bolting the tow bar attachments to the existing bumper.
That leaves the issues of lighting and breakaway switch and braking.
Were this me, I would get a letter of approval from the lessor before making any further plans.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Without getting into a contract dispute, let’s not forget that towing behind an RV does not accumulate miles on the toad. So, depending on how many miles may be towed, how would anyone like to be the second owner of that vehicle.
Since the engines not running and the drive train is not pushing a load I don't see it being a big deal.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
New to the TOAD life. We just leased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL). I'm looking for good options for set up that are:

1. Least intrusive install (tow bar, braking system, etc.) that will be easy to remove at the end of the lease and hopefully not catch the eye of the dealer I end up turning the vehicle back into.
2. Simple: Ease of installation, set up, hooking up and unhooking.
3. Cost: Looking for affordability.
4. Quality: Obviously looking for something safe and dependable.

Any insight and advice is greatly appreciated!
I lease all my trucks and treat them just like I would if I bought it. When I turn it in they look it over and if it's something thats a big deal they adjust what I owe but mostly not at all. Not that much different than trading in a used car. They don't sweat the minor details in the car business. It's going on the used lot.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #61

Towbar for JL

I’m not an expert on this towing issue and especially on th Jeep, when we bought our motorhome I wanted to tow a car as safely and inexpensively as possible. We first started with the tow dolly which my wife didn’t like, so we traded cars for one that could be towed 4 down, I found a used Roadmaster towbar and bought a new baseplate for the car and didn’t have to cut or drill anywhere. It was simply remove the bumper support brace and bolt the baseplate on using the new supplied bolts and nuts. What I’m saying is everybody is hung up on blue ox but there are other brands that may not require any mods. I have towed to south FL and South TX without any problems and see no reason why blue ox is considered the Cadillac of towing, buy what works for you!
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Let me start off by saying I wouldn't have a problem with setting up a leased car as a toad and striping it back down before I return it... Your not going to go to hell for this one.. . Now some of these guys ragging on you for this I'm sure have done things a lot worse then this and you know who you are so you shouldn't throw rocks when you live in a glass house...

Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:03 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Towing a Leased Vehicle

Many have mentioned modifying a leased vehicle, and your copy of the rules are vague enough that a good leasing attorney can probably hang you out to drive. I personally would be inclined to determine first if I intend to keep it at the end of the lease. If so, do what you want. If not, or you are not sure you might consider a tow dolly. No modifications required to the Jeep. They have their own brakes and lights. You can get them for under $2K new, and then you can sell it when you turn the Jeep in if you choose another route at that time. Setting up for a tow system can cost you upwards of $5K new, or less if used, and you still have the specter of a possible legal issue.
tebeall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I have a gas coach and use a U.S. Gear braking system.

It uses a controller mounted on the dash of my coach and a bunch of stuff in the toad.

I didn't install it, had somebody install it that does it for a living.

Unified Tow Brake
Unified Tow Brake is no longer available. They are out of business.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #65
HRF

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with comments about the use of a tow dolly. I towed a leased vehicle for two years on a dolly with no mods to the car. The dolly had brakes and lights and was easy to use. Takes a little more time to hook up and unload but other than that, it worked very well.
HRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:31 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I don't know how you would hook a tow bar to stock jeep bumper. I had to either change the bumper out to one that had tow rings or install a base plate on my jeep since there wasn't anything to connect a tow bar to.
Remember we're talking about a Jeep wrangler.
Just like this, the bumper bracket replaces the D rings that are designed for towing you out of the mud on the OEM bumper. Smittybuilt is the mfgr.

Another option is to buy and install a Rock Hard 4x4 full bumper if you don't think the OEM bumper is strong enough.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 11-22-2018, 08:35 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRF View Post
I agree with comments about the use of a tow dolly. I towed a leased vehicle for two years on a dolly with no mods to the car. The dolly had brakes and lights and was easy to use. Takes a little more time to hook up and unload but other than that, it worked very well.
As the original poster stated earlier. You can not dolly a new Wrangler. It either 4 down or a flat bed trailer. All the suggestions about using a dolly is irrelevant in this thread.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRF View Post
A Jeep wrangler 4x4 must not be towed on a car dolly without risk of damaging the transfer case. Remember this thread is about towing Jeep Wrangler 4x4

According to the Jeep manual:

If moving a Jeep by recreational towing, such as behind a motorhome, the vehicle must have all four wheels in contact with the pavement. The reason for this is because internal damage to the transfer case can occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:51 PM   #69

My toad is a Grand Cherokee! Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. A friend and I installed the base plate. I did the wiring. No additional holes or trimming of the bumper cover. We had to remove it for the install, but it went back on with no problems. I have a Brake Buddy currently, but looking into at getting the AF1. My coach is already set up for it!
32sunsation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:21 PM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
The picture you posted is of a custom bumper, not an OEM bumper. There no place to attach them to a front of a Jeep Wrangler OEM bumper. There is not a place to bolt them on the bumper.

Notice my tag line I own both a Jeep GC and Jeep Wrangker and I have towed the both.

Here is the stock front bumper.

All you people saying to put the Wrangler JL on dolly the manual says not to or cause damage to the powertrain. It either 4 down or all 4 off the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Remember we're talking about a Jeep wrangler.
Just like this, the bumper bracket replaces the D rings that are designed for towing you out of the mud on the OEM bumper. Smittybuilt is the mfgr.

Another option is to buy and install a Rock Hard 4x4 full bumper if you don't think the OEM bumper is strong enough.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing