Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2021, 01:36 PM   #1

Towing a Lincoln Nautilus

I'm looking for a new tow vehicle and wonder if anyone here tows a late model Lincoln Nautilus. I know it's only towable with the 2.7L engine but wonder what the experience has been for others.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 03:56 PM   #2

I’ve watched 2 neighbors struggle with Lincolns. Both very experienced RV’rs who’ve had many tow vehicles. Don’t listen to any salesman as there is more than “put it in neutral”. I don’t have the particulars but I know both had issues with the electronic parking break and getting it to disengage and stay that way. I’ll let more knowledgeable weigh in on details as I’ve just watched from across the street.

Good luck
Hugh Jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #3

Why would you want to tow such a heavy vehicle?
ptronus31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I tow a 2018 Lincoln MKX and it is a joy to drive and a joy to tow. If I didn't have an MKX, I would buy its upgraded version - the Nautilus in a heartbeat. Having said that I do think the Nautilus is a little harder to prepare for towing than the MKX.

As for weight, when you tow with a DP, 1000 pounds more or less is not even noticeable.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:03 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I have been towing a 2016 MKX since we bought it new, and as stated above it is a very comfortable car to drive and very easy to tow. I've never had a problem with the brakes or any other system with respect to towing. After our next big trip, we are thinking about another Lincoln; probably another MKX.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:20 AM   #6

Wife loves her 2017 MKX. I still have to set it up for tow. Weight is about 4,600lbs.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Wife loves her 2017 MKX. I still have to set it up for tow. Weight is about 4,600lbs.
Correction. It weighs 4300lbs.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:49 AM   #8

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Still haven't decided for sure.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:16 AM   #9

I purchased a 2020 Ford Edge ST, a sister vehicle to the Nautilus, with 2.7 L engine. Our experience was bad. Towing setup and takedown was complex. However; the real problems were related to the digital driver support systems (lane keep assist, dynamic cruise control, etc). Ford couldn’t get these systems to work properly, apparently due to chip shortages! After the second time the vehicle slammed the brakes on at highway speed, I sold it back to Ford.

I then bought a 2014 Honda CRV EX/L with very low miles, and am totally happy with this vehicle as a tow car and daily driver.

Dave
Old 12-09-2021, 11:57 PM   #10

I purchased a 2019 Nautilus to tow. It is more complicated to set up to tow than pushing a button. But after you do it a few times, it is pretty simple and reliable. After attaching to the motorhome you pull a cable that is located under the steering column and hook it on the right side of the little box where it is located. This takes the transmission out of park and keeps it there. The next step is to release the parking brake. Simply step on the brake pedal and push the parking brake release button on the dash. Next step is to push the button to disconnect the Nautilus battery. This is done so that the parking brake does not automatically engage when the car is moving. One more step is a toggle switch that my installed installed to activate the towed’s tail and brake lights. This rewiring is necessary because when the battery is disconnected, the brake and running lights will not operate. Three easy steps and ready to tow.

Do I wish it was a simple as pushing a neutral button? Yes. But it works fine. Two and a half years towing and over 7,000 miles and has been without issue.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:27 AM   #11

Have a 2021 Nautilus with stay and go braking system. Just follow steps in manual and you will be ok. Electric brakes a little different. Just check wheels turn at start of trip
Rlmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:30 PM   #12

I have been towing mine for about a year, love it! People say it is involved to get ready, but it isn't bad at all, and I can still hook up and be ready to go quicker than my friends with jeeps. While it isn't as easy as my MKZ was (that was literally a button push and go!) it is still pretty easy once you have done it a few times, it becomes second nature. Don't let the steps involved fool you, it might seem daunting when reading, but is pretty easy.

The installation of the Blue-Ox bar is pretty straight forward, roadmaster seems slightly easier, but I liked the cleaner look i got with the blue-ox, less trimming of the facia underneath.

Etrailer/road master has instructions, pretty easy to wire with a diode kit. When wiring, I suggest, as i wish i knew earlier how easy the rear bumper cover was to come off when I installed a hitch for bike rack, i would have taken it off to hide the diodes down under instead of trying to jam them behind the lights, which can be done but is tricky.
mattyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptronus31 View Post
Why would you want to tow such a heavy vehicle?
The Nautilus is not that heavy, it is the same car as a Ford Edge and a Lincoln MKX just a different dress, I pull an F- 150 no problems But i do know it back there at times on big hills,

The Ford neutral towing mode is good once you figure how to do it, but you better get it right the first time unless you want to buy a transmission
strangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:25 PM   #14

Some Lincolns MKX Nautilus had issues with the Blue OX base plate, the adaptive cruise , box interfered with the base plate, some one moved that radar box, not sure if I would mess with that or not,

there are some posts about this issue on here somewhere from a year or two ago
Maybe Blue OX found a work around
strangebird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing