Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 09:36 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Towing a Mercedes E350

We have a Mercedes E350 car that we would like to tow 4-down. We talked to the Blue Ox Rep at the Tampa RV show last month and he said they had nothing that would do the job.

We both have bad backs so we really don't want to use a car hauler trailer or even a Tow Dolly. We would prefer to tow 4-down.

Has anyone who owns a MB-E350 been able to figure out a way to tow one 4-down?
Or do I need to buy a Clunker and put a tow package on it?

Ramblingdon
ramblingdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #2

You would probably do better to just get a Honda CRV - 2014 and back- 2015 has a different transmission and can't be towed. Several members of our good sam club are using CRV's. Good luck on deciding which Toad to get, Dave
Old 02-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #3

Welcome to the Forum, if Blue Ox doesn't make a plate for your Mercedes that means that it can't be flat towed. There are many other clunkers you can tow.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:37 AM   #4

as long as the transmition can be towed flat have a welding shop build the brackets to mount it to the blue ox hitch. call a transmition shop and ask if it will be hurt towing first.
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
or, ask Mercedes. Why risk screwing up a multi-thousand dollar transmission, when a simple look at the owners manual or a call to Mercedes.
I would certainly trust the manufacturer more than some 'expert' making suggestions on this forum who has nothing to lose by giving bogus information or ill-informed opinions
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #6

a decent transmission shop will have ten times more knowledgeable than the counter man or a service writer at MB most of which worked at Mazda or Nissan last week. The fact that Blue Ox does not make a hitch for the E350 may be due to market for the hitch does not warrant the cost of development of the product...Also I have the AMG version of the OP's car
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
According to the owners manual, I don't believe the E350 vehicle can be towed four down for much more than 30 miles. I didn't study the guide as I don't know which specific model or year the OP has, but the link given says it can't be towed four down nor can it be raised up on a dolly with two-down.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #8
Community Moderator

mercedes with automatic transmission can not be towed 4 down. i have mercedes i know this for sure. i remember the manuals say in the emergency situation, it can be towed at no more than 40 mph and no more than 30 or 40 miles in distance. otherwise why wouldn't i put it behind my rig?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #9

I had a 2014 Mercedes E550 and I had to get rid of it because we are going full-time this summer. It cannot be towed 4-down. In addition Blue-Ox doesn't make a base plate that fits it. One could probably be fabricated, however I think there would be some changes that would need to be made to the front of the vehicle. I shed a tear, literally, when I got rid of my E550, but we got a Jeep Wrangler and it'll be a piece of cake to hook-up. I would say your only option would be a trailer, but you said that's not feasible.
RonandBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #10

I am currently making the change to full-timing. I was in the market for an E550 coupe until I learned you cant tow them four down. I can't tow my current vehicle four down either, G37s coupe. I love my sports cars and shed a tear when I found out I can't get the E550. But I am focusing on a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and I think it'll be just as fun but in a different way. Trailer for me isn't an option either.
jimmy12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing