Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2021, 08:45 AM   #1

Towing a Mini Cooper

I have a 2014 Mini Cooper coachman S manual I am going to tow. I have been told to put the car in neutral and the brake off. The questions are do I disconnect the battery and or leave the round key in the ignition or any thing else?
Moishe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2021, 08:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
In order to tow, having the brake on will be counter-productive. It you are flat towing, you will need to have the steering wheel unlocked as well.

As for other towing recommendations, what does the owners manual say about recreation towing of the vehicle?

One other thing you will need is a braking system for the dinghy with a break away system. You have to meet the safety requirements of any state you tow through and some require brakes and break-away on towed loads over 1500 lbs.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:07 AM   #3

I towed my 2013 mini and, if yours is like mine, it does not have a locking steering wheel. You do not need the round fob in the ignition to flat tow, but if you leave it in, the mileage will accumulate on the odometer. Without the fob, no mileage.

No need to disconnect the battery. In fact, you may need it if you have certain types of braking systems.

A supplementary braking system is recommended. If you get one that is powered by the mini battery, you will need to have a live power port, most likely the cigarette lighter. If that needs the fob to be hot, then that changes the equation. In such cases, a charge line from the coach to the tow car is recommended.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:14 AM   #4

I have never flat towed but do know you want every thing set right. My BIL got a new jeep to flat tow. He gets where he is going and his transmission 4WD will not engage. A little nylon piece was broken. So even if you think you know what you are doing double check.

Follow the owers mamual for flat towing. Plus watch a few youtube videos on towing a Mini Cooper, you might pick up a few tips.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:03 AM   #5

We have towed a 2014 MINI Clubman for 5 years. No instructions are to found in the manual as towing is not “officially” supported by BMW.

MINIs are under the weight requiring a supplemental braking system in most of the states east of the Rockies (<2500#). That said, if flat towing there are a number of reasons other than legality to have a braking system.

The steering is supposed to have some sort of electrical locking mechanism and the most commonly mentioned procedure is to insert the key and “click” in in as if getting ready to start, then “un-click” the key, but to leave it in the slot. Car in neutral, brakes off. I believe that the key needs to stay near the MINI to keep the steering unlocked (there are a few other functions that can be triggered through the “click/un-click”) and the dash slot is a good place for that and the way I’ve always done it. Good to switch off the headlight switch also as I have had the running lights stay on if not in the off position (although generally (not towing) you can leave the light switch on as the headlights turn on/off with the ignition)
toshio1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:12 PM   #6

Hi My wife and i have been Motorhome RVing since 2005. We have been using Jeeps (Wrangler and Grand Cherokee) as our go to tow vehicles. I had been wanting a Mini Cooper. So a couple of months ago I got a 2019 Mini Cooper S four door hatchback/6 speed manual transmission/Front wheel drive. I just had a Blue Ox baseplate installed and got a new Brake Buddy brake assist. Now the questions. I know the trans in neutral and brake released. My Mini does not have a key. But, I read and haven't tested, you don't engage the clutch when starting and hit the start switch it is like being on without starting the engine. Also, I read that if you lock the doors. The miles don't roll up on the Mini. How much of this is fact and how much is fiction? We are getting ready to hit the road in a couple of weeks. I want to make sure not to mess up the Mini. I have really fallen for the it. Any ideas and information will be greatly appreciated!!! Michael...PS didn't mean to get so wordy...
manfromnc49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:50 AM   #7

We have towed our 2010 MC S for many years and miles, love it as a toad. The prep work involves putting it in neutral, hand brake off and then lock the doors with the key fob. Pushing the key fob lock button a second time right after locking it deactivates the motion alarm.

Have read on the forum over the years that, depending on the year, there are different steps to go through. Advice from someone with the same model year will be your best source. If you haven't searched the forum already, find time to do so. There have been good discussions over time. Here is a link to one that offers up lots of information.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/anyone-towing-a-2019-mini-cooper-s-405324.html

Safe travels.
BZTS561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:26 AM   #8

Brother had one. I believe he did exactly that. Disconnect and key in the ignition. Used a brake buddy for braking.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 02:22 PM   #9

We tow a 2021 MINI Cooper. The best procedure is very much dependent upon model year and equipment of your Cooper. But here are a few suggestions that work for us. I suggest you try these out on some short local trials and see if they work for you.

We use a Blue Ox Patriot III braking system. I've found it works best if I pump the MINI brakes a few times after the engine is off to deplete the vacuum before I set up the supplemental braking system. Seems to prevent Patriot III errors farther down the road after a few hours of towing. We also have a charge line connected since the braking system uses battery power.

After you connect the tow bar and set up the brakes, make sure the ignition is completely off. Transmission in neutral and release the parking brake. Lock the doors with the key fob. All the interior dash panel lights should go off. Ready to tow and mileage will not accumulate. I also check to make sure the headlights are off (not auto) to keep them from coming on after dark.
dvspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:00 AM   #10

Thumbs up Thanks For the responses to my questions

Once again IRV2 members furnished the information that I needed. You have been a great help. Thanks to everyone!!!

Once I finish my first trip with the Mini. I will post my experience towing it.

Thanx again...Michael

2008 Four Winds Hurricane (looking to trade sometime this year)
2019 Mini Cooper S toad
Blue Ox Base Plate/Tow Bar
Brake Buddy Patriot III
manfromnc49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing