Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2015, 06:24 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing a mini van

Does anyone tow a fairly new mini van 4 down? without or with any modifications?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 07:06 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used to tow a 1992 Chevy Lumina APV which is in that class of ride.

Here is the basic information you need:

Store : Remco

Enter your vehicle's particulars on the left. And the main frame tells you what you need to tow.

In my case I used an Axle Lock (Front wheel drive) so that when I was towing it was a true trailer, no power to the wheels, (They make a device that does that for Rear Wheel too).

On my new towed (A car) I can not use that device because there is not enough room to reach in and operate it so I use an LP=1 Lube pump.

The Lumina towed for free, that is it had NO effect on my MPG, the car, however, DOES even though it is just over half the weight,, My suspusicion is this is do to improved air flow.. The Lumina's effect on air flow balanced it's weight. I would not expect this, I got lucky.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #3

99-04 Honda Odyssey can be towed. Must run through gears (automatic) in a certain sequence then idle in neutral for 3 minutes...65mpg tow speed limit.

I've read of folks towing later models Odyssey's but Honda says they can't be towed.

Fred
Old 02-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
99-04 Honda Odyssey can be towed. Must run through gears (automatic) in a certain sequence then idle in neutral for 3 minutes...65mpg tow speed limit.

I've read of folks towing later models Odyssey's but Honda says they can't be towed.

Fred
Yep, we have an '05 Ody that Honda first gave the OK to tow four down in Sept. 2004 (luckily we got it in writing on Honda letterhead). Towed it about 300 miles, then started to see postings about not allowing it anymore. After some negotiation with WA, OR and CA Ag's Honda paid us for the towing gear we had installed and bought a KK-460. A couple years ago I saw several being towed four down and they were reporting no problems as long as the CR-V instructions were followed. Did find that I had to add a charge line as the battery went dead on the second day several times. Since then no problems at all.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We tow a Dodge Grand Caravan 4 wheels down. To do so, we installed a Remco Transmission Lube Pump. This is second Caravan we've towed like this. Never had a transmission problem with either Caravan. An on/off switch on your motorhome's dash turns it on & an audible alert tells you when or if something is wrong. We do run the car through it's gears after about every two hours of travel time, just as a feel good, precautionary measure.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan with Remco lube pump and Ready Break tow bar with blue ox base plates.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Friend had a Grand Caravan, had the lube pump installed. Pump failed, alarm didn't go off so it cost him a transmission rebuild.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow