Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Towing a Wrangler Unlimited

Ok it might be to late to ask but.
I just bought a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited to tow 4 down behind my motorhome.
Over the past year everyone that I spoken to that I've seen with a Jeep towed loves it.
From what I read it a simple as it gets.
Any suggestions, advice from you experienced Wrangler tow ers.
Thanks
DH
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #2

Jeep transfer case in neutral. Auto trans in park, manual trans in gear. PARKING Brake off. Key NOT in ignition but in your pocket. Pick what ever tow bar and brake setup you like. I got the Blue Ox baseplate and the Avail towbar. SMH Air Force 1 for proportional braking using the coach air. Super simple and quick.

2004 Fleetwood Excursion 39S. 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock Edition.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
^^^what retired-guy said. We have a 2016 JKUS automatic, blue-ox baseplate, and ready brute elite towbar.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #4

Some 2014's were built with steering wheel locks. Best way to tell is to take the key out and try to turn the wheel form full left to full right. If you can do that then there's no steering lock. Good luck doing this unless you're parked in mud, on ice or you jack the front wheel off the ground.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
+3 on the simplicity of a Jeep Wrangler. In addition to what has already been said, you will need a light wiring harness. I chose the Mopar harness mostly to alleviate any warranty issues.

Here is a post I did a couple of years ago about an easier way to reach the harness plugs high up under the dash.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2012-...te-236583.html

Also, if you are thinking at all about an after market bumper now is the time to do it. I went with a Demco base plate (which is great by the way) and later added a bumper. I wish I had installed a RockHard or LoD bumper with the built in tow points. Those two have the tow points bolted directly to the frame.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferdave78 View Post
Ok it might be to late to ask but.
I just bought a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited to tow 4 down behind my motorhome.
Over the past year everyone that I spoken to that I've seen with a Jeep towed loves it.
From what I read it a simple as it gets.
Any suggestions, advice from you experienced Wrangler tow ers.
Thanks
DH
Golferdave78,
After owning and towing 9 Jeeps over a 35 year period, yeah, Jeeps are a a lot of fun, easy to setup to tow, easy to actually get ready to tow and, are a universal vehicle to own. While they don't get the best gas mileage of many flat towable toads, for the most part they get good enough mileage that it's really not a deal breaker for about 98% of the owners. After all, what kind of mileage can be expected from a rolling Kleenex box?
Now, it's been suggested that "some" '14 models did come with steering locks. Well, I'd like to see one in person. Wranglers from 09 series were discontinued from locking. Read:

This is information directly from Chrysler: As of 2009 the wrangler no longer uses a locking steering wheel across the board the owners manual hasn't been updated yet, here is the case below that is directly from the chrysler/dodge/jeep technician helpline called "star" that is where (dealer level tech's) go with unsolvable problems or questions not able to be answered via normal channels it is ONLY for dealer tech's

Case Number K05695435
Vehicle Issue Steering wheel does not lock.;Turn the steering wheel to the full right, hold and turn off the vehicle to see if the steering wheel locks.
System or Component Will Not Lock / Engage;Customer Concern (No DTCs);Column,Steering Wheel;Yes - Continuously
Recommendation 2009, Wranglers no longer have locking steering columns, compare this with another 2009 Wrangler. No repairs are needed.
Modification Date 06/29/09 2:00 PM

Now, as for setting your new Jeep up for towing. Well, that can be handled in a couple of ways. First, do you plan on doing ANY off roading, of any magnitude, easy, moderate, hard? If so, then you'll more than likely be changing front and rear bumpers as, most folks that off road do change them. And that leads to the suggestion to use what's mostly installed on the aftermarket front bumpers as what's called "Recovery tabs". Those tabs are normally welded on, front and back-side of the bumper. They HAVE to be strong in order to handle the stress of being used as RECOVERY when the Jeep gets stuck in some precarious situation that requires it to be tugged out of.

So, folks like me and a few zillion others that have Jeeps, use those recovery tabs to also hook up a tow bar to. In that case, there's no need for any, low hanging, hunky-dory looking "base plate" to be added below the bumper. All that's needed is a couple of adapters from your present tow bar, to the style of recovery tabs, in order to connect the tow bar. Blue Ox and most others market these adapters and, they can be purchased on ebay, Amazon, trailer and hitch supply places etc.

Now, if you don't plan on any off roading, you can still get a nice looking and well functioning front bumper which, is far superior to the factory junk. And, that will allow you to use the recovery tabs.

But, if you must, you can get a base plate that will be used for attaching your tow bar. I've never used one due to the fact that I've set up all of our Jeeps for off roading. Your choice.

As for the procedures for getting ready to tow, just follow what's in your owners manual. You'll find all the step by step instructions in the section:

Recreational towing or, Towing behind a Motor home.

As for wiring the lights, well, there's a few choices out there too on this. Some folks used the Mopar version which, is a bit more complicated than other versions due to the fact that their Jeeps were under warranty and didn't want anything to goof that up. Well, that's their choice. I and many others used the Hopkins version. It's easier and works outstandingly well. It's primarily a plug and play unit with no intrusion into the cab as the Mopar one needs. Here's the link to the one I used:

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-56200...=Hopkins+56200

You'll have no issues getting your '14 set up for towing. And, just in case you're planning on a tire size change for maybe some off roading, that change will have ZERO effect on towing. All of ours have had larger tires and tow just fine with no definitive showing of accelerated wear. Good luck on your new toy.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #7

Base Plat

The Currie Industries base plate for Wranglers is a good choice. It replaces the plastic fairing under and behind the front bumper. It is also far less expensive than the offering from Blue Ox and Demco. Another bonus is that if you have a stock height Wrangler, the tow bar angle should be nearly perfect for most applications.

CE-9033JK - Jeep JK Tow Bar Mounting Kit
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed the JK electrical tow harness ($150) from Cool Tech. Easy to install.
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatguy57 View Post
I installed the JK electrical tow harness ($150) from Cool Tech. Easy to install.
X2....I was shocked at how easy it was but I did spend some time running the cable in the frame. I might also add that it is best when used with a brake system that does not push or pull on the brake pedal. I plan on going with the M&G brake system.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm in the process of making my 2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon a toad. I just installed a "Rockhard" front bumper as they have recovery tabs AND mounting options for a tow bar. I will be using the Hopkins harness as well.

Good luck

Patrick
Semper Paratus
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosunmate View Post
I'm in the process of making my 2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon a toad. I just installed a "Rockhard" front bumper as they have recovery tabs AND mounting options for a tow bar. I will be using the Hopkins harness as well.

Good luck

Patrick
Semper Paratus

I did the same with our 2007 unlimited rubicon.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #12

We flat tow a 2008 JK. Supposedly, this does not require key in ignition, but found that there is a steering wheel lock so, key in ignition and disconnect with on the battery. Love the jeep, tows great. Glad we decided to get it as we used it a lot on our recent trip to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Rocky Mountain National Park.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #13

Just finished piecing together everything I needed to tow our '17 JK except the braking system. Planning to go with M&G.

I got the Currie skid plate with tow points and used the Hopkins wiring kit for the lights. Found a nice tow bar on Craigslist. The Currie baseplate comes with the ends that mate with it. I was able to bolt them to the tow bar. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5435.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	174976Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5427.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	174977Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5426.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	174978
DougM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:12 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougM55 View Post
Just finished piecing together everything I needed to tow our '17 JK except the braking system. Planning to go with M&G.

I got the Currie skid plate with tow points and used the Hopkins wiring kit for the lights. Found a nice tow bar on Craigslist. The Currie baseplate comes with the ends that mate with it. I was able to bolt them to the tow bar. Attachment 174976Attachment 174977Attachment 174978
Looks good!
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing