Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #1

Towing advice from you veterans

I hope that this post is in the correct forum so here we go... Tomorrow I am having my Buick Rendezvous equipped with a Remco lube pump, Roadmaster brackets and a Sterling All-Terrain tow bar. I will be towing with a 40' DP capable of towing 10,000 lbs. The curb weight of my Rendezvous is 4,024. I have never towed a vehicle behind the motorhome before. Can the motorhome with a vehicle in tow make safe right hand turns on normal two way residential streets? I imagine that making left hand turns is easier but somehow I don't think those of you that are veterans at towing limit yourself to making left turns or right turns on extra wide streets. I am aware of not being able to back up, but what else? What tips or advice can you give me? I am a little nervous, maybe a lot nervous but I am hopeful that I will get some good advice from this forum.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I've not had any problems towing a GMC Yukon XL.

If the MH can make the turn, the toad can too in my experience.

I was apprehensive at first also, but I soon learned that the toad was not an issue.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the words of encouragement Dirk.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I agree. The toad pretty much follows the motorhome. You might need to swing out slightly more if the turn is tight, but that's about it. Both hubby and I have driven "the beast" with tow across country and in the mountains. It's easy and after the first drive you'll be fine.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Making a right turn, on any street, is done all the time. The more you do it, the more comfortable you will be. The only tip I have is you will need to pull farther forward BEFORE turning the steering wheel to make a right turn in order to keep your back tires from hitting or riding up on the curb (or hitting whatever else is on that corner).

There's nothing like an empty parking lot & some hazard cones set up for practice to get the maneuvers down.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #6

Your toad will follow the M/H as far as turns are concerned. You didn't mention a brake system. a properly operating brake system will make a diff. in your stopping distance. Finally make a check list for your tow vehicle and use it before you drive away every time. Hitch connected, safety cbls and lights hooked up, vehicle in the right gear, key in the correct position steering unlocked, emergency brake off, and so on. Also remember when you stop for fuel or to take a break walk around your toad every now and then.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I pull a Lexus RX300 at about 4,000lb. It tracks inside the motorhome's width so I don't worry about turns. If my coach can go around the turn I know the car will make it just fine because it is narrower.
The biggest problem with residential streets is tree branches as far as I'm concerned.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
The biggest problem with residential streets is tree branches as far as I'm concerned.
Very true. Yes, you need to watch for tree branches in residential neighborhoods. According to our covenants, curbside trees are supposed to be trimmed to 14'. Aside from us, no one in our development does. We end up driving the coach down the middle of the streets for this reason.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland
X3 on that one. Our only "crash" so far has been with a tree that curved in at the top. We made everything but the back right corner of the MH. Let's just say that in the epic battle between tree and RV, the tree came out ahead
Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #10

Agree with all comments. The toad will follow the MH because it is attached on the back, whereas a 5th wheel will 'cut the corner' because it is attached in the bed of the truck.

I have a problem with tree limbs, too...don't know what the solution is.
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #11

You have TWO pivot points, at the ball, and your steering system. That makes turns a non event.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #12

Agree with all the above posts. The toad will follow the motorhome. Not like a trailer, which cuts in on the turn.

Another reason why toads follow the motorhome (other than the ones mentioned above) is that the rear of the motorhome actually swings out a little on turns, depending on your overhang distance. This actually helps make the toad follow the motorhome.

Just watch your mirrors. You will become comfortable with turns very quickly.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote