Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
towing anything 4 wheels down with manual transmisson

Hi
we have our new to us Class a Winnebago. Now the discussion turns to a tow vehicle. I am of the mind to buy a manual transmission probably a small truck so it can be used for other purposes.
Am I wrong to assume that anything with a manual transmission can be towed 4 wheels down?
Would like not to have go go to a 4 wheel drive vehicle, for gas mileage sake.
Looking at an S-10 p/u but having trouble finding out if it can be towed 4 down.
Any help??

Thanks in advance.
lablover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #2

Go to Remcotowing.com
jettyjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #3

No. Not all manual trans vehicles are towable (without damage that is). But many are.
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Some manual transmissions don't get proper bearing lubrication with the output shaft spinning and the input shaft stationary. One really has to investigate on a case-by-case basis to determine if a manual transmission vehicle is towable 4 down.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #5

Hi

You have to be careful not everything can be towed 4 down, check carefully before you buy something, I tow a Dakota 4x4 4 down and it works well,weight is about 4800 lbs.
Dale M
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #6

You do need to read the vehicle operators manual, but I know for a fact that some manufacturers just add that restriction to manual transmissions to preclude warranty work later. I have towed a Mazda for five years that is restricted from four down towing in the manual. I keep the transmission well serviced and I make a habit of not towing for more that 200-300 miles without driving the car. I am sure that there are manual transmissions that have a more complex lube systems than my Mazda, but just use some common sense and talk to a mechanic that knows the brand. Remco and Good Sams club manuals often do not agree with each other or the vehicle operator's manual. I would be very cautious about towing a front wheel drive with a manual transmission if the manual advises against it.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #7

Good comments pertaining to not towing a car when the manufacturer advises against it.

However, the general rule straight from Remco (on their FAQ page) is that "any" FWD manual transmission car can be flat towed. The key is "front wheel drive" in combination with a manual transmission.

Quote:
Can I tow my Front Wheel Drive (FWD) Manual Transmission 5-Speed behind my RV? I don’t see my vehicle on your website?

Any Front Wheel Drive, Manual Transmission 5-Speed vehicle can be flat towed safely behind a Motor Home. Remco has not formally tested most of these vehicles, but we have accumulated this data throughout our over 30 years of flat towing experience. You are safe to tow a Manual Transmission vehicle behind your RV as long as it is a Front-Wheel Drive with a 5-Speed Manual Transmission.
(from this page: click here)

If you go to, say, Roadmaster's fitment guide, you'll see that they will have a base plate for just about any FWD car made. (Roadmaster fitment guide attached to this post) ...and they do list older S-10 2WDs.

-harry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roadmaster Fitment Guide.pdf (416.5 KB, 46 views)
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Love my Brit Range Rover. Dont ever bother with all the add this dolly that remco list, transmisson disconect issues. Its a Range Rover, so its a 1995, hook up and away we go.............
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, towing