Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #15

Actually the Wrangler is RWD.

A not very elegant solution is to disconnect the driveshaft at the differential. You would need to tie the shaft up using bungie cord or ratchet straps. Simply reconnect the shaft when you arrive.

I knew a guy who did this with a Ford pickup for years. Only 4 bolts involved and a lot simpler solution until you get your driveline disconnect.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #16

Have you considered this:

Lube Pump Kits : Remco

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Exclamation

Quote:
It hasn't been established that it's a Wrangler, though. Besides, aren't all Wranglers 4WD, either full time or part time? The current 2WD Cherokee is a real FWD. It's a crossover SUV, not an offroad vehicle. In any event, no advice is very meaningful until he identifies what Jeep model he has.

This whole issue began because mossalot did not learn enough about the vehicle he has, and that ignorance is still a big threat to his towing plans.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #18

The OP said it was a Wrangler and discussed towing it backwards on a dolly or installing a drive shaft disconnect.

Plenty of clues that it's rear wheel drive.

I give the guy a lot of credit for owning up to his "mistake".

He is looking for help, not to be criticised.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
I wonder, are ANY Jeeps FWD? The ones I know of are all either RWD or 4WD.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used to tow an automatic BMW two door rear wheel drive sedan to Wisconsin from Texas and back once a year for several years. I did what xydial suggested. I unbolted the U joint at the rear of the drive shaft. There are four nuts on the two U bolts that hold it attached. It takes ten minutes to accomplish this if your car is off the ground high enough for you to slide under there to do the work. It is really important to tie the drive shaft up and also tie it with forward pressure. If the drive shaft is able to move rearward the drive spline in the rear of the transmission can fall out. Don't ask me how I know that ! When you get to your destination reattach the U joint and U bolts and you are ready.
laheze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
My 2014 Wrangler is 4 WD. Jeep does not recommend using a tow dolly. Look in the Owner's Manual under recreational Towing it will tell you everything you need to know.

Jerry
Old 09-28-2015, 05:47 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
To answer your question regarding towing with the engine running.

If the Jeep is vacuum assisted power brakes, remove and plug the vacuum line that goes to the power brake booster. Tie a small white ribbon on the steering wheel to remind you.

ALSO - You might consider adding a small idiot light for oil pressure or alternator (something that lights up when the engine is not running ). Mount it on top of the dash so you can see it from the MH.

Good luck
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:48 AM   #23

Quote:
I have 10years and 50,000 miles towing My dodge minivan with a remco lube pump. If I did have a problem I would start the car and let it idle till I got it fixed.

Don
I initially liked the pump idea the best because I could get the part in time for the trip, but after some research, decided against it.

Apparently, the Chryslers have more of an issue with clogging the pump and it failing than other vehicles. One of the Camping World's I talked to said they refused to install them on Chryslers any more because of the issues.

I messaged someone on this forum with the exact same problem as me (he bought the wrong jeep) and he tried the pump. He said it failed quickly on him and he did not recommend it.
mossalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
My 2014 Wrangler is 4 WD. Jeep does not recommend using a tow dolly. Look in the Owner's Manual under recreational Towing it will tell you everything you need to know.

Jerry
It's a 2 WD RWD Jeep Wrangler. And yes, I know it's like putting ballerina shoes on a football player.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydial View Post

A not very elegant solution is to disconnect the driveshaft at the differential. You would need to tie the shaft up using bungie cord or ratchet straps. Simply reconnect the shaft when you arrive.

I knew a guy who did this with a Ford pickup for years. Only 4 bolts involved and a lot simpler solution until you get your driveline disconnect.
I've started to test this option to see how long it takes and how I feel about strapping up the drive shaft. My Jeep does not have the 4 bolt configuration I was expecting. It is an 8 bolt connection.

I removed the 8 bolts but could not get the drive shaft to shift back. Do I need to use a little more force or maybe pry it back with a chisel? I didn't want to use any force until I was sure there were no other clips or bolts holding the drive shaft in place.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydial View Post
A cautionary tale about a ready brake and the car running. I start the car to charge the battery when we stop for meals or fuel. I forgot to turn the car off outside Branson Mo.

Headed down a steep hill (don't ask why I was there) with the PAC brake on and fanning the brakes. DW told me she smelled rubber burning. Looked in the mirrors to see the tires on the toad smoking.

I learned that the ready brake really works AND YOU DON'T WANT THE BRAKE BOOSTER WORKING WHEN THE BRAKE ENGAGES.

Good Luck
xydial, do you think the Ready Brake might work if it was loosened up as Big Oil Guy suggested? Or do you think ANY brake that pushes the brake pedal is a bad idea as Gary RVRoamer suggested at the beginning of the thread?

I dismissed the Brake Buddy while the Jeep is idle because I can't see how two vacuum assisted brake systems would be a good idea, but I thought something like the Ready Brake that uses inertia might be a possible solution.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossalot View Post
I've started to test this option to see how long it takes and how I feel about strapping up the drive shaft. My Jeep does not have the 4 bolt configuration I was expecting. It is an 8 bolt connection.

I removed the 8 bolts but could not get the drive shaft to shift back. Do I need to use a little more force or maybe pry it back with a chisel? I didn't want to use any force until I was sure there were no other clips or bolts holding the drive shaft in place.
Carefull un bolting that 8 bolt shaft end. It may be a CV joint, with a bunch of parts, ready to spill out.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #28

Trade up to a 4x4 Wrangler. All of your towing issues are solved, and your off-road freedom and adventures can begin.
Sometimes it's better to bite a bullet than to dodge one.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, tow, towing