Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Towing / brake system question

I have have always towed with a dolly, I got tired of the dolly and sold it. I have a blue ox tow bar that was given to me, it is in good shape. I have never used supplemental brakes on the dolly or toad. I can buy a blue ox patriot for 995.00 or a ready brute elite tow bar with a ready brake built in for 1007.00. For about the same money I would not need to mess around with the "box" brake. Any thoughts on best way to go? I use a double hitch extender already ( bike rack ), so I do not think it is safe to buy the ready brake by itself.....that would make three pieces to the hitch. I am new to towing with four down so any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Jrf4865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #2

I am somewhat in the same bag, thinking about the ready brake, looks simple, bunch of favorale posts in the towing section of irv2. Have also thought about the RVI Box new to the market, also looks simple. The Key word "new to the market" claim many bells & whistles.
Have a US gear system, nice people but mine does not, nor do I think it ever did work.
TriciaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #3

I think you're wise to consider toad brakes which activate independent of the towbar, since you already are using a double hitch extenders. When these extenders are in use, it derates the towbar by about 1/3.

The 'brake-in-a-box' systems work pretty well. I've used one for about 10 years (3 boxes actually). The advantage is they are pretty simple to set up, with minimal installation required (with the exception of the breakaway switch). Disadvantage is you have to put it in the car each time you're ready to tow, and stow it somewhere when you're not.

I would also recommend you look at SMI's offerings. They are permanently attached to your toad, so no getting down on your knees to install the brake every time you want to tow. There's one for hydraulic brake coaches, and another for air-brake coaches. Both within $100 of each other in price. Installation takes about 4-5 hours. Those who have them really like how they operate.

I just graduated to the SMI AFO braking system for my coach and toad. All I have to do is hook up the air line between the two, and I'm ready to go.

I highly recommend towing 4-down over towing with a dolly any day of the week. It's much easier to set up to tow. You will like this method way better than the dolly.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I am kind of vocal AGAINST the box systems like (But not l imited to) The Patriot.. The reason is the hassle of installing them EVERY time you tow and the temptation to say "The heck with it" for say... a run to the dealer.

Ready Brake is the winner in the KISS (Keep It Super Simple) contest, not much is simpler than the Ready brake.

The US GEAR Decelerator gives the driver the most control.. but is one of the most complex

When I next get a towed.. I may go with US-Gear.. but I'm leaning toward ready brake.

And do not let anyone tell you you do not need brakes on the towed if it's towed 4 down. You should have had them on the dolly as well (but ONLY on the dolly)
Old 02-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well, I am kind of vocal AGAINST the box systems like (But not l imited to) The Patriot.. The reason is the hassle of installing them EVERY time you tow and the temptation to say "The heck with it" for say... a run to the dealer.

Ready Brake is the winner in the KISS (Keep It Super Simple) contest, not much is simpler than the Ready brake.

The US GEAR Decelerator gives the driver the most control.. but is one of the most complex

When I next get a towed.. I may go with US-Gear.. but I'm leaning toward ready brake.

And do not let anyone tell you you do not need brakes on the towed if it's towed 4 down. You should have had them on the dolly as well (but ONLY on the dolly)
I'm not familiar with the systems you mentioned , however I have the SMI Stay-n-Play Duo and all I have to do is flip a switch. That's what I call KISS.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just started a thread about the Ready Brake combined with the ReadyBrute towbar before I saw your thread. Adventure RV has the combination for $810. Unless I get some bad reviews on it I think that's the way I will go. Good luck!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf4865 View Post
I have have always towed with a dolly, I got tired of the dolly and sold it. I have a blue ox tow bar that was given to me, it is in good shape. I have never used supplemental brakes on the dolly or toad. I can buy a blue ox patriot for 995.00 or a ready brute elite tow bar with a ready brake built in for 1007.00. For about the same money I would not need to mess around with the "box" brake. Any thoughts on best way to go? I use a double hitch extender already ( bike rack ), so I do not think it is safe to buy the ready brake by itself.....that would make three pieces to the hitch. I am new to towing with four down so any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
I have towed with a Ready Brake for a couple years now and really like it. My setup is kinda long as well. I use a 6" riser, Ready Brake (mounted upside down) and a Demco Excalibar but, everything reaches. Only other brake I would consider would be an SMI product but they sure want a lot of money for an air cylinder. Good luck
Richard