Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2018, 01:52 PM   #1

Towing, bumpers and tow brackets.....a question

I want to use the Ready Brute Elite tow bar system. Is there any reason why I can't just use the stock bumper for this? Drill holes for the tow plates, cables, etc.? Seems like everyone replaces the front bumper with some big, expensive, rock-hopper looking thing. Does that have something to do with the quality of the material in the stock bumper, or the way it attaches to the frame...or is it just dues to the use they intend to put it to (or maybe they like the look)?
Allentc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2018, 02:02 PM   #2

Stock bumper on what? A Yugo?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #3

Bumpers are not what they use to be. You need a solid mount. Now you have a cover, some kind of honey combed plastic for slow speed bumps then a piece that attaches to a shock type mount to take a bigger hit. A lot more involved now then before.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Stock bumper on what? A Yugo?
A fair question.....2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #5

Yep,
It would be nice to know just what vehicle you're speaking of. Based on the "assumption" of the meaning of your statement "Rock hopper", I'm going to assume you may be getting ready to outfit a Jeep for towing. Well, "Rock hopping" is not the main reason for change of front attire for Jeeps. And, contrary to your belief, they're not ALL expensive either. You can get AFTERMARKET front bumpers for as low as $79 if you look around.

As for you wanting to use your stock front bumper, well, yeah, sure it can be done. But, the front bumper on a Jeep, IF that's what you're referring to, is a tin, thin, looks only, piece of junk. There isn't much structural strength in that tin "wants to pass for a real bumper". But, again, if you want to use it, you can if, you design a re-inforcement plate, for the rear, to help the one you'll install on the front, that will accommodate the tow brackets. In other words, you're gonna "sandwhich" the bumper, in between the two plates. It's really not a recommended way of doing it.

Many, many of us have purchased aftermarket front bumpers for a whole host of reasons. One being that, it will be used for connecting a tow bar. And, don't get stuck on one brand. There's probably no less than a dozen quality front bumper makers out there for Jeeps, IF , that's what you're referring to.

The "recovery tabs" that are normally welded to the front (and many, like ours, also weld the back side too) are what's used for attaching your tow bar too, with the use of adapters for whatever type tow bar you have. I think my Smittybilt XRC MOD front bumper, for our '15 Jeep JKUR, cost me around $350 or so, but, it's been a while so, I could be off some.

The use of those recovery tabs is by far, the best way for tow bar hookup. I've used those on multiple Jeeps and have never, EVER, had any break loose or come unwelded. And we've towed all over the U.S. for thousands and thousands of miles.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0232.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	492.0 KB
ID:	219672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	219673  

Name:	IMG_0234.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	219674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0245.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	561.2 KB
ID:	219675  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #6

Okay, so are "recovery tabs" where you normally stick shackles? I'm planning on using the Ready Brute Elite tow bar system. I was under the impression that you had to basically get a set of clevis (clevii?) that matched a particular set of tow plates (which were separate and different from the recovery tabs).

If I'm reading the installation instructions correctly, I'd use the Demco clevis for use with recovery tabs?
Old 09-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentc2 View Post
Okay, so are "recovery tabs" where you normally stick shackles? I'm planning on using the Ready Brute Elite tow bar system. I was under the impression that you had to basically get a set of clevis (clevii?) that matched a particular set of tow plates (which were separate and different from the recovery tabs).

If I'm reading the installation instructions correctly, I'd use the Demco clevis for use with recovery tabs?
Allen,
Yes Sir, you are correct. The "Recovery tabs" are normally for, just what the name implies. To be used for RECOVERY, in a case where a buddy of yours may be stuck and can't get out on his/her own. Normally, on many Jeeps, you'll find a "D-ring" attached to each one. A tow-strap is then attached to the D-ring and, also attached to the stuck vehicle. You then "ease" your stuck vehicle out of it's situation, with yours. Or, if YOURS is stuck, the same operation is used to get YOURS out of situations that YOU got it into.

So, if it's strong enough for that, it's strong enough to be used for towing. Some will argue this point but, that's up to them. AS stated, we've been Jeeping now for well over 35 years and have used those Recovery tabs for towing for that amount of time and pretty much, have NEVER lost any of our Jeeps in towing them, due to a failed recovery tab.

Now, most or at least some of the adapter brackets will come with pins that are used to attach the adapters to the recovery tabs. Well, those are seriously hard to remove, when it comes time to disconnect after a days towing. So, I changed over to the ones you see in the picture. I purchased them at Tractor Supply. Waaaaaaaaay better for pulling the pins when disconnecting.
Scott

P.S. The "D-rings" are pictured on the front of our Jeep below. I just quickly remove them for when it comes time for towing it.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0888.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	219684   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	219685  

Name:	IMG_0445.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	451.3 KB
ID:	219687  
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #8

I spoke with a guy at NSA who was super helpful. He said exactly what you did.....you can use recovery tabs to tow with, I just have to have a clevis made specifically for it. $20 or so extra over the usual $80 cost of their premade stuff.

Sweet! I am slowly grokking all this! LOL Thanks!
Old 09-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #9

As mentioned in the other thread, I have the Smittybilt XCR bumper for my LJ. Installation is simple. 6 bolts. It adds a little weight over stock, my guess is about 40lbs or so heavier. There is a very nice matching bumper for about half of what the front costs.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/smitt...-yj-76800.html

As Scott mentioned, there are lots of different bumpers out there for the TJ/LJ. No need to get hung up on a specific brand or style. Find one you like. Make sure the recovery tabs are welded on the front side and the back side. The XCR bumpers are welded on both inside and outside of the recovery tabs. Like you found out, NSR will build you any adapter you want to match whichever bumper you decide on. IMO you should tell them you dont need their hitch pins. Get some tractor style hitch pins with D ring handles like Scott posted. They are about $12 each on Amazon. They are forged and made in the usa. Lighting is simple. You can build your own system for about $20 or buy the complete plug and play system from Hopkins. The hopkins system requires no cutting or splicing. Just unplug your existing tail light plugs and their wiring and diode module plugs right in to the existing jeep plugs. Pop one plastic inner fender clip on each side (behind the rear tires) and you have full access to the tail light plug.

Running the brake actuator cable is beyond simple. If you decide not to add a winch you can mount your brake cable, electrical plug and break away cable to a simple bracket you attach to the farelead mount.

Good luck with your decisions. I think you made a good choice with the LJ and I am sure the Ready Brute Elite will work fantastic for you.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:03 PM   #10

On my 1999 Wrangler (when I had that one) I just welded up some brackets out of some angle steel I had laying around. I just bolted them to the top of each frame rail using the 2 bolts the hold on the stock bumper. Don't remember for sure but I think I had to use longer bolts.

Home made brackets were a lot easier on a TJ/LJ than they would be on a JK.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentc2 View Post
A fair question.....2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
Nice Jeep! I have a '99 TJ and went a different route. I'm not really planning any serious offroading(Jeep will mainly be a beach buggy), so I went with a Smittybilt stainless tube bumper and a Blue Ox base that I picked up off an auction site.

I like the look, but an unforeseen problem with a tube bumper is that you're not left with any flat area to mount any connectors. The Blue Ox base has a couple standoffs to mount the lighting connector, but I had to fabricate a mount for the air brake connector and breakaway switch. Even so, I'd do it the same way again if I had to - I prefer the bright stainless bumper look on this Jeep.

Your choice - have fun with it!
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #12

I just had a Roadmaster baseplate I stalled on my Jeep and it looks alright. Kept the factory bumper. I already had the towbar but if I had to do it over I get the ready brute elite. I still might if my older brake system turns out to be a pain.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #13

What are you going to tow it with? Motorhome ? Diesel or gasser? Be careful with the idea of using the recovery hooks if they are like mine and sit on top of the bumper. The height may cause you to need a drop or riser on your hitch receiver to get the tow bar level enough.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing