Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster1 View Post
I have neither but, a neat feature is that you can lock the steering on the dolly and it will back up like a trailer.
Which one?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #16

The dolly was built by Landgrebe Manufacturing in Indiana. Mine is a 2012. I think they call the new ones Magnums. It is the best I have ever owned.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can do the same with the Demco Karkaddy. I have backed mine with the steering unlocked and loaded, just need to keep an eye on it in your camera.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #18

I would go with the Kar Kaddy SS if you are going to be useing it behind a motorhome for any length of time. If not most anything will work.
BJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #19

Thanks

To everyone who replied thanks for your input - there are just so many choices it can be confusing - well at least to me.

Just when I was going to go to a local business to purchase a dolly the dear Mrs. and I had the following conversation:

Me: So I'm going to purchase that car dolly so we can tow the SUV on our upcoming July trip (it's 2 weeks; our longest outing yet)

Mrs: That's good, can we take the golf cart as well?

Me: No we can't the dolly can only be used for towing a car

Mrs: Well that's not going to help us when we go to Disney and need to take the golf cart? How about when we go to the Keys and you want to take your motorcycle, can we tow the motorcycle with that dolly thingy?

Me: No, the car dolly only tows cars, that's why they call it a CAR DOLLY!

Mrs: Well I don't like it then, we need something to take our golf cart and motorcycle as well.

Me: We don't need the golf cart, motorcycle AND car all at the same time! The car dolly will tow our SUV or car. Later I'll get a utility trailer for the golf cart and motorcycle!

Mrs: Why can't you get something for all 3?

Me: Because it just doesn't work that way, it's either a care or the golf cart & motorcycle

Mrs: Just get a really BIG trailer that we can use for either the car or the golf cart and motorcycle

Me:

So just curious but how much more difficult would a flat bed car carrier be to tow rather than a car dolly? I figure with a flat bed I could either put the car on it of stow the golf cart and motorcycle (Shadow 1100)
Or...
Is it better to just purchase a car dolly and a separate utility trailer for the golf cart and motorcycle?

The funny thing is we'll use the golf cart/motorcycle set-up 3 or 4 times for every 1 time we use the car/SUV as we mainly do long weekend trips and only a 1-2 week trip once and possibly twice a year.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
You could get one of these and tow Car/Cart, Car/Motorcycle both at the same time.

Some for sale
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #21

Hello everyone, I wanted to share a very important issue that I feel you all need to know who tow a car with a tow dolly.

I purchased a brand new Mater Tow Dolly Dolly Model 77T. The person that I purchased it from DID NOT tell me the dos and don'ts with a tow dolly. I never towed a car on a tow dolly before. All he showed me was how to connect and disconnect the dolly and the car. NEVER once told me that this tow dolly could cause a great deal of damage to your car.

I hook up my master tow dolly to my motor home. I placed my BRAND NEW 2013 Mazda 2 with "90 miles on it" on the tow dolly. I began to drive away and had to make a sharp left hand turn. Guess what, the left fender of the tow dolly connected with the drivers door and rocker panel of my brand new car causing $1,009.00 in damages!!!

I did not know nor was I told that this dolly will SWIVEL. I was sick and needless to say it ruined by 10 day vacation. Car goes in the shop on Monday to be repainted with less than 240 miles on it.

The master tow dolly was sold after using it one time and I did inform her new owner about making turns and the damage it will do.

I looked on line for over a week every day looking for a tow dolly that did not swivel. I found one. I located a tow dolly from the assembly plant in North Carolina called the "EZE TOW". Check it out on line and watch their video, I was so impressed by the video and the fact that it states it is nearly impossible to damage your car with this tow dolly that I BOUGHT ONE!

The EZE Tow was delivered to my home in a wooden crate. It took me more time to unload it than it did to put the fenders and light on it. It cost the same as the master tow BUT DOES NOT SWIVEL!! It is all welded frame. I cannot wait to use it next month. Please do your home work when shopping for a tow dolly. Unfortunately for me I did not and it was a very expensive lesson for me and my brand new car!!

I am in no way affiliated with EZE Tow Company and just wanted to share my expensive damage story to hopefully not hear that you did the same thing I did.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. When you look at the mater tow dolly wheels and fender, compare it to the EZE Tow dolly wheel and fender and you will see a major difference as to why my car received that damage.

Good luck to you in your dolly purchase, and please it only takes 10 minutes to watch a free video on their web site.
58will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Demco Kar Kaddy SS that has steering "swivel". I towed my 2003 Nissan Altma never had a problem with the fenders hitting the car in a sharp turn. I now have a 2013 VW Passat, haven't towed it yet, will check it real close and make sure the fenders won't hit the car. I would also be sick to have that happen. It does say in the dolly manual if the vehicle is to wide it's possible for it to be damaged.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The Master Tow 80THD is wider, thus less chance of fender contact. I have the Surge Brake version of the 80THD. I believe the EBL is electric brakes so you would need a controller in the RV.
Not sure of Demco but MT says to tow loaded at 50PSI and unloaded at 10PSI. So you better get a portable air compressor too.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #24

I pulled my demco dolly with VW GTI loaded over to a empty parking lot to see if it would hit and with my truck I could make a sharp enough circle to come real close - about 2" - form contacting the car but it did not hit. My MH will not turn anywhere near that sharp so not really worried. Sorry to read about your damage, I would be sick.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #25

I have pulled my Mazda C 7 10k miles on a Demco SS 460 dolly with no issues. Have made several sharp turns at truck stops with no problems.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Just one other quick note.Since I replyed to this post in May I purchased A Tandem Tow HD used and I towed my Ultra Classic Harley and my 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT with my MH to Gulf State Park and it could not have been any better.The Tandem Tow did great.It is a 2007 I bought used on Craiglist for 2500.00 they retail for about 6500.00.Safe Travels to all.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I have towed my Toyota Camry & Avalon over 30,000 miles on a Master Tow dolly with no issues. I did purchase the wider 80" model.

Tags
dolly, towing