Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2020, 01:56 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Towing F-150

I have a diesel pusher and currently tow a Jeep Liberty 4 down and have a Brake Buddy for the aux brake system. I also own a 2018 F-150 that I think I would rather tow and have been looking at getting it set up to tow and am looking at the M&G brake system. I called them and they can set up the entire rig to tow for $3k and their local dealer wants $5k.

Anyone else care to share what they paid to have their F150 set up to tow with a system like a M&G or Air Force One system?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I tow an F-150 Raptor, using the Air Force One system. The Air Force One and I'm guessing the newer version of the M&G tap into the brake booster. They do this by tapping into the brake booster hose. On the Fords, there are two holes in the brake booster, one for the hose and one for a sensor. AF1 offers a "T" hose to install in the sensor hose hole, rather than cut the main booster hose. You might want to make your installer aware of that.

With that said, installing the AF1 on the truck side, is pretty simple. Tapping into the airline on the coach is a little more complicated. I can't give you a price as I do my own installs.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:20 PM   #3

Sorry, but I too installed all my AF 1 system on 2 pickups and 2 Tiffin Class A Buses, a 2008 and a 2013 myself. Installation was very easy, just by following directions. That included wiring lights on the toads. It "SHOULDN'T" cost that much considering how complex the install is and the time it takes, but you know how that works...Hold on to your sox!
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donno View Post
I have a diesel pusher and currently tow a Jeep Liberty 4 down and have a Brake Buddy for the aux brake system. I also own a 2018 F-150 that I think I would rather tow and have been looking at getting it set up to tow and am looking at the M&G brake system. I called them and they can set up the entire rig to tow for $3k and their local dealer wants $5k.

Anyone else care to share what they paid to have their F150 set up to tow with a system like a M&G or Air Force One system?
Well,
I can *assume* that your F-150 IS FOUR WHEEL DRIVE, CORRECT? If not, well that's a whole 'nother ball game. If it is 4WD, then you're good to go. Your owners manual will spell out, in all detail, on how your prep for towing is to be done. As for setting it up, well, you need to get all the components, i.e. base plate(s), wiring, and all that. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:22 AM   #5

I;ve been towing a 2015 F-150 for 5 years now. I did the setup. The Blue Ox baseplate is a very simple bolt on unit. It essentially replaces the tow hooks on the front end. The M&G install was very straight forward too. The unit attaches to the Master cylinder. You need to do a simple adjustment to set the play right in the linkage when you set it up. On mine, you have to remove the stock airbox/filter and replace it with one M&G provides due to clearance ... It's a K&N style washable filter. Then run an airline to a quick disconnect down by the base plate. I also installed the break away device . I would guess, if you were paying a shop to do this work, maybe 3 hours max.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:37 AM   #6

I've had three cars set-up with base plates and supplemental braking systems.

2007 Honda CR-V
2013 Honda CR-V
2017 Lincoln MKX

I had the Blue Ox base plate and the M & G on the 2007.

I had the Blue Ox base plate and Air-Force-One installed on the 2013 (AF1 easier install because of the Honda redesign)

On the Lincoln, I had the Roadmaster baseplate and Air-Force-One installed along with buying the new Roadmaster tow bar........ all and all, it was about $5,000 for everything including tax.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:15 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
I can *assume* that your F-150 IS FOUR WHEEL DRIVE, CORRECT? If not, well that's a whole 'nother ball game. If it is 4WD, then you're good to go. Your owners manual will spell out, in all detail, on how your prep for towing is to be done. As for setting it up, well, you need to get all the components, i.e. base plate(s), wiring, and all that. Good luck.
Scott
Yes I have a 4 wheel drive and yes it can be towed 4 down. I'm not naive or stupid. I was more interested in the costs of having an air braking system installed as I've never had one before.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I;ve been towing a 2015 F-150 for 5 years now. I did the setup. The Blue Ox baseplate is a very simple bolt on unit. It essentially replaces the tow hooks on the front end. The M&G install was very straight forward too. The unit attaches to the Master cylinder. You need to do a simple adjustment to set the play right in the linkage when you set it up. On mine, you have to remove the stock airbox/filter and replace it with one M&G provides due to clearance ... It's a K&N style washable filter. Then run an airline to a quick disconnect down by the base plate. I also installed the break away device . I would guess, if you were paying a shop to do this work, maybe 3 hours max.
Thanks. I have a 2018 so I assume it's pretty similar since they said mine also requires the K&N air filter. I have some mechanical skills and I'm not terribly concerned about installing the M&G system on the truck, but I don't know where to start on the motorhome side as far as tearing into the air system.

I'm leaning towards just installing the baseplate and tail light wiring and driving down to Texas and letting them install the brake system. There is another installer in Nashville that I think I'll call that may be more trustworthy.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes I have a 4 wheel drive and yes it can be towed 4 down. I'm not naive or stupid. I was more interested in the costs of having an air braking system installed as I've never had one before.
Never suggested you were naïve or stupid. There are plenty of folks on here and other RV forums that have wanted to tow 2WD trucks and do what's potentially necessary to do it. But, since yours is 4WD, it will be easy for you. As for setting up something like the M&G, well, some vehicles/trucks are a pain in the petute while others, aren't all that bad. I've done a few and most of mine have been relatively easy.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks. I have a 2018 so I assume it's pretty similar since they said mine also requires the K&N air filter. I have some mechanical skills and I'm not terribly concerned about installing the M&G system on the truck, but I don't know where to start on the motorhome side as far as tearing into the air system.

I'm leaning towards just installing the baseplate and tail light wiring and driving down to Texas and letting them install the brake system. There is another installer in Nashville that I think I'll call that may be more trustworthy.
On the MH air side, M&G provides you with a T fitting that goes on your brake line. Hook it into the brake line, run the tube to the rear by the tow bar, connect the quick disconnect and mount.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:48 AM   #11

When we set up our 2013 CRV, I purchased the parts and installed the tow bar assembly on the CRV myself. Not hard at all. Then I went to Athens TX and had M&G install the braking system and lights. The cost for parts and install was very reasonable. At M&G, they told me they would provide and install the tow bars on the CRV, for just a bit more than I paid for them. (However, the enjoyment of spending a morning with a friend during the install was worth more than their cost).
We are very happy with the M&G.

We are looking at a F-150 as our next toad, so please keep us posted on what you end up doing for a braking system.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
On the MH air side, M&G provides you with a T fitting that goes on your brake line. Hook it into the brake line, run the tube to the rear by the tow bar, connect the quick disconnect and mount.
I don't know if M&G still offers just the "T" for the brake airlines, but my understanding is that DOT does not approve of that approach. Seven years ago, when I bought my 2014 DS, I bought the coach side AF1 air connection. It's about the size of a football, with it's own air tank. If the toad were to break loose, or the airline break, the unit will not allow your air to deplete and lock up the coach.

With that said, I used just the "T" on my 2005 Monaco Diplomat 10 years ago. I never had an issue and made sure the airlines were covered with split wrap. However, I do like the security of the unit that AF1 uses.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing