Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Towing F 150 Super Crew

Any ideas good or bad about towing an 2013 F 150 4x4 super crew behind a 2014 journey 34b? What is the best tow bar set up and braking set up. Thanks in advance for the replies.
46490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Have you checked with Ford to see if it CAN be flat towed? 4x4 may need to be disconnected. Here is what I did, I bought a Big Tex car hauler and drive whatever the heck I want up on it and pull it down the road. Several advantages I have found are, trailer tires are cheaper to replace than the tires on my truck or mustang. I am not limited to what I want to tow, in the winter I can take my 4x4 super crew in the summer I can take the convertible. The car haulers are just as easy to pull as a flat tow and I believe backing up is a whole lot easier. the trailer runs about $3500 or less depending on options like wheels and spare. Just remember to buy a good set of tie down straps for all 4 corners of the vehicle. I have enclosed a picture of me with the trailer towing my daughters explorer home from college. You can take anything you like ha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	115.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	79429  
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Here's a link to the Ford towing guide. Page 11.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #4

Do a SEARCH. There is a good thread a bunch of us have contributed input.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #5

I tow my 2013 F150 behind my rig all the time. Follows well without issue, I have a blue ox tow bar. Very easy to set into tow mode and out again. Your manual will tell you how to put it into a toad mode. So, yes, your F150 is flat towable. As far as good brake system and tow bar?????
Old 11-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have my 2012 F150 FX4 Supercrew as my toad.

The 4x4 2012-2014's are flat towable as-is without any modifications.(Don't know about 2015 models)

Takes less than 60 seconds to set the truck up for flat (Neutral) towing.

I also had a regular "blank" key made so I didn't have to leave the "smart chipped"key in the ignition while towing. (mainly for peace of mind)

I set it up with a Blue Ox Aventa 10K# tow bar and SMI Air Force One air brake package. I also ran a battery charge wire.

We just got back from a 6500 mile round trip to Southern California.

It was a pleasure having that truck along!

It tracked perfectly behind the motorhome and the proportional braking system worked like a charm.

I used the RV chassis "trailer brake" wire as a feed from the actual brake light switch on the F150 brake pedal to an LED light up front with me so I could actually "see" that the truck brakes were being applied.

The entire rig could practically "stop on a dime" if need be.
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
Have you checked with Ford to see if it CAN be flat towed? 4x4 may need to be disconnected. Here is what I did, I bought a Big Tex car hauler and drive whatever the heck I want up on it and pull it down the road. Several advantages I have found are, trailer tires are cheaper to replace than the tires on my truck or mustang. I am not limited to what I want to tow, in the winter I can take my 4x4 super crew in the summer I can take the convertible. The car haulers are just as easy to pull as a flat tow and I believe backing up is a whole lot easier. the trailer runs about $3500 or less depending on options like wheels and spare. Just remember to buy a good set of tie down straps for all 4 corners of the vehicle. I have enclosed a picture of me with the trailer towing my daughters explorer home from college. You can take anything you like ha
we have done the exact thing for 6 years now.
But its getting harder on ZE body now and now I am putting a tow bar on the F150.
backing is a charm with the trailer and i will miss the ease of that.
might keep the trailer for grins....really want to get a mustang this year for summer car...
as far as upkeep on the trailer
I have had mine 6 years
three sets of tires, one hub and bearings, one set of seals, two sets of lights, one set of lightweight alum ramps(18 lbs) two blow outs, one bent axle, one new set of springs....
roads are rough at times
i use the E-track system for securing the truck, over the wheels.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
46490 we tow a 2013 F150 4X4 with Roadmaster Brackets and Brakemaster brake its a easy hook up and to get the 4wheel drive in neutral you just have to follow simple instructions takes about 1 min.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
well after a week of round and round
i had them lay up two new heavier axles under the hauler.
now we have 3k plus of capacity.
i just couldn't see paying out nearly 2500 to do the tow bar plus the brake controller for the truck and then I know in two years i will get another truck then its another 1200 to do the air brake setup

i like to change cars waaaaay to much
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides

Old 11-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #10
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I tow a 2013 Ford F-150 Platinum 4x4 Ecoboost with my 40' Beaver. The truck is set up to tow four down from factory.
My coach has a CAT 3126B Turbo Diesel. Aside from really steep grades, I don't know it's behind me.
I use the ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar with Ready Brake. All mechanical brake system. No boxes to et up and remove.
Mine was a diode install into the main harness under the hood.
My mounting brackets are BlueOx and bolt right on where the tow hooks are placed.

Simple set up. Easy to hook up and unhook. I'd do it again in a minute!

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1417057065.200104.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	80055

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1417057103.610617.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	881.2 KB
ID:	80056

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1417057121.062598.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	80057

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1417057141.182503.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	396.5 KB
ID:	80058
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
I tow a 2013 Ford F-150 Platinum 4x4 Ecoboost with my 40' Beaver. The truck is set up to tow four down from factory.
My coach has a CAT 3126B Turbo Diesel. Aside from really steep grades, I don't know it's behind me.
I use the ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar with Ready Brake. All mechanical brake system. No boxes to et up and remove.
Mine was a diode install into the main harness under the hood.
My mounting brackets are BlueOx and bolt right on where the tow hooks are placed.

Simple set up. Easy to hook up and unhook. I'd do it again in a minute!

Attachment 80055

Attachment 80056

Attachment 80057

Attachment 80058
can you elaborate about the cables routed through the truck to actuate the brakes? maybe a pic or two of the routing.i am interested in its simplicity as a back up plan
thanks

Old 11-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
can you elaborate about the cables routed through the truck to actuate the brakes? maybe a pic or two of the routing.i am interested in its simplicity as a back up plan
thanks
They run from brackets on the bumper in sheathed cables to the firewall brackets in the shortest route with the least bends. The cable inside is then attached to the brake arm with u-shaped shackles.

When you apply the brakes on the coach, it applies the surge system on the Ready Brake that triggers a lever attached to the cable and pulls on the brake pedal.

Simple but affective.

I'll take a couple of photos when I get a chance, but this will likely explain it better.

http://www.readybrake.com/videos.html
Old 12-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey folks, just bought a new 2014 F150 XLT today (truck is still at dealer getting bed liner and a few other goodies). I quickly ran thru the tow prep steps to ensure it worked as stated in the owner's manual and got the 'truck is in neutral tow mode' on the dash display. I seem to remember you must leave the key in the 'ON' position so guess there will stuff pulling on the battery. I already have a charge line from the coach for my CRV so is that going to also do it for the F150?
Old 12-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #14
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Hey folks, just bought a new 2014 F150 XLT today (truck is still at dealer getting bed liner and a few other goodies). I quickly ran thru the tow prep steps to ensure it worked as stated in the owner's manual and got the 'truck is in neutral tow mode' on the dash display. I seem to remember you must leave the key in the 'ON' position so guess there will stuff pulling on the battery. I already have a charge line from the coach for my CRV so is that going to also do it for the F150?
Congrats on the new F150!

I don't believe you leave the key in the on position. You would turn it counterclockwise towards off. The key won't turn completely off as if you could take the key out. It stops one spot before.
I don't have a charge line to my F150, but in having to start it every 2-300 miles, it charges a bit while it's being excercised.
I've never noticed it being an issue in a full day of driving and stopping for the procedure.

Tags
tow, towing