Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #1

Towing Four Down - Buying New car VS used car

We are looking to get a Toyota Corolla Sedan to flat tow behind our Class C motorhome. We have towed a travel trailer previously, but never towed a car.

We have narrowed it down to two vehicles.

Used 2018 Toyota Corolla w/13,500 miles on it. Price $16,000. (this car had some sport mods done on it and we worry the current owner may have used it as his cheap hot rod).

New 2019 Toyota Corolla $22,000.

So, we like the idea of having a new one as we tend to keep cars until they no longer run (this car will replace my wife's CR-V that has 210,000 miles on it and still going).

The worry about getting new is that we have never towed a car and this car sits pretty low. Should I get the cheaper used car so I don't have to freak out over every speed bump or curb I see? Or is towing a car easy enough that with caution a new car will be just fine.

Another way of looking at it would be this question - in your first year of towing a car how much damage did you do to it while learning the ropes?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I have towed 3 different cars and each one was brand new when I started to tow it. Like you, I am a new car guy and keep them a long time. No regrets.

Do be aware however that a new car (or any car, for that matter) that is towed may not last as long as one that is not towed. Towing takes its toll on any vehicle.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I think I would pass on a used manual trans Corolla with hot rod mods.
With some smart shopping you should be able to find a 2019 Corolla for less than $22k.
Also consider a used low mileage 2014 CRV since you previously had a CRV. You can do a search on Auto Trader and specify the max mileage and then rank order by price, lowest first.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:41 AM   #4

Check the owners manual to see if Toyota Corolla can even be flat towed. I believe only the ones with manual transmissions can be.
Dave_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_H View Post
Check the owners manual to see if Toyota Corolla can even be flat towed. I believe only the ones with manual transmissions can be.
Ditto this. According to the Good Same 2019 Dinghy Guide, only manual transmission Corollas can be flat towed.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #6

We are on our third tow car (1st- 2007 Honda CR-V, 2nd- 2013 Honda CR-V, 3rd-2017 Lincoln MKX), all purchased new.

We picked the smaller SUV's as they sit higher than a small car. They also were/are all AWD versions in case we needed the extra traction once we reached our location.

When we originally started looking for a 'toad', I was concerned that if I needed to straddle something in the road with the coach, that the tow vehicle would 'hopefully' go over it as well. And, we have straddled a few things over the years, mainly 'gators' (tire strips) and a ladder.

Buy the vehicle that works for you but I think a car with a little extra ground clearance will work to your advantage.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
We are looking to get a Toyota Corolla Sedan to flat tow behind our Class C motorhome. We have towed a travel trailer previously, but never towed a car.

We have narrowed it down to two vehicles.

Used 2018 Toyota Corolla w/13,500 miles on it. Price $16,000. (this car had some sport mods done on it and we worry the current owner may have used it as his cheap hot rod).

New 2019 Toyota Corolla $22,000.

So, we like the idea of having a new one as we tend to keep cars until they no longer run (this car will replace my wife's CR-V that has 210,000 miles on it and still going).

The worry about getting new is that we have never towed a car and this car sits pretty low. Should I get the cheaper used car so I don't have to freak out over every speed bump or curb I see? Or is towing a car easy enough that with caution a new car will be just fine.

Another way of looking at it would be this question - in your first year of towing a car how much damage did you do to it while learning the ropes?
The car new or old doesn't tow any lower than it drives, so I don't see this point. I have zero damage having towed my Mini Cooper S. Buying new or used is a personal preference and if you a have reservations about the "hot rodded" Corolla then pass, there are many, many more to choose from.

-Kevin
Old 02-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I think I would pass on a used manual trans Corolla with hot rod mods.
With some smart shopping you should be able to find a 2019 Corolla for less than $22k.
Also consider a used low mileage 2014 CRV since you previously had a CRV. You can do a search on Auto Trader and specify the max mileage and then rank order by price, lowest first.

Actually, dealer just offered it to me for $20k. Wife hates the body style of all CR-Vs after her 2001 model.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #9

I'm getting manual transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_H View Post

Sorry - should have mentioned these are both manual transmission models I'm looking at. I've done hour upon hour of research on flat tow vehicles. Here is some extra info in case any one shows up here because of Toyota Corolla search.

In 2019 Toyota came out with the all new redesigned Toyota Corolla Hatchback model. For that new version they specifically marked in the owner manual to not flat tow at all (CVT or Manual).
The owner manual for 2019 and older Toyota Corolla SEDANs says the manual transmission can be flat towed.
For 2020 Toyota says they are coming out with a new redesigned sedan... guess what, that's right - no flat towing anymore.
A lot of people online say there is NO mechanical difference and you "should" be able to flat tow the 2019 Hatchback and the 2020 Sedan.
I prefer to be safe and get a 2019/2018 Sedan that specifically says in the manual it can be flat towed.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfriceman View Post
The car new or old doesn't tow any lower than it drives, so I don't see this point. I have zero damage having towed my Mini Cooper S. Buying new or used is a personal preference and if you a have reservations about the "hot rodded" Corolla then pass, there are many, many more to choose from.

-Kevin

Sorry - I made that a bit confusing. I know both cars will be the same. I was more talking about the fact that if I bang up a $15k car on a curb it will probably give me less of a heart attack than banging up a brand new $20k car that hasn't even been driven 100 miles.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
Sorry - should have mentioned these are both manual transmission models I'm looking at. I've done hour upon hour of research on flat tow vehicles. Here is some extra info in case any one shows up here because of Toyota Corolla search.

In 2019 Toyota came out with the all new redesigned Toyota Corolla Hatchback model. For that new version they specifically marked in the owner manual to not flat tow at all (CVT or Manual).
The owner manual for 2019 and older Toyota Corolla SEDANs says the manual transmission can be flat towed.
For 2020 Toyota says they are coming out with a new redesigned sedan... guess what, that's right - no flat towing anymore.
A lot of people online say there is NO mechanical difference and you "should" be able to flat tow the 2019 Hatchback and the 2020 Sedan.
I prefer to be safe and get a 2019/2018 Sedan that specifically says in the manual it can be flat towed.
If you buy a vehicle with a factory warranty and install a baseplate for flat towing, you instantly void all your warranties.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:52 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardgood View Post
If you buy a vehicle with a factory warranty and install a baseplate for flat towing, you instantly void all your warranties.
I should qualify that by saying if the manual prohibits flat towing.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We bough a Subaru Crosstrek manual love it great price all wheel drive and its a Subaru tows 4 down behind out motorhome
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardgood View Post
not true out subaru crosstrek base plate was put on by Subaru
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, tow, towing