RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:53 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just got the most current 4 cylinder dingy towing update sheet from GM for flat towing our 2013 Terrain. I will try getting a photo of it and will post here tomorrow.
Dennis, Denise and Mizzie (Tail Wagger Emeritus) living as Full Time RV Mutants #40
"Duchess" a 40 foot Newmar Dutch Star 4095 + "Duke" a GMC Terrain Towed
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2018, 09:26 AM   #16

I just had my 2010 v6 Terrain set up for flat towing. The 4 cylinders have the death wobble while the v6 does not all based on the power steering. I really like it and can recommend doing it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0627.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	967.4 KB
ID:	230375
Shiba_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #17

Senior Member Join Date: Mar 2018 Posts: 610 Registry Towing GMC Terrain 4 do

We tow a 2016 4 cyc Equinox - same chassis as the Terrain. We use the revised tow setup from GMC (November 2017 - pull fuse 16) and have now towed it over 8,000 miles without problem - no Death Wobble. I don't know if that's luck or the new setup - but it is working great.
damagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:06 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagn View Post
We tow a 2016 4 cyc Equinox - same chassis as the Terrain. We use the revised tow setup from GMC (November 2017 - pull fuse 16) and have now towed it over 8,000 miles without problem - no Death Wobble. I don't know if that's luck or the new setup - but it is working great.
We are operating under the same rules. I do have a question though; what do people use to keep the battery charged? Our car is wired exactly like its a utility trailer with no power at all being supplied by the car. A friend suggests I add a 12 Volt lead from our 7 pin plug direct to the Terrain positive battery post to keep the battery from discharging while towing. He also suggests that I just put in a battery disconnect switch and thereby save the battery. His mechanical and electrical aptitude is far superior to mine but I want to check with others to be safe. The service tech at the place our car is right now thinks the idea may be a workable solution.

More of your thoughts would be appreciated.
Dennis, Denise and Mizzie (Tail Wagger Emeritus) living as Full Time RV Mutants #40
Old 01-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #19

Eez Moose, are you having a problem with your battery? If not, why worry about a charge line. I’ve pulled our V6 for over 30k miles with no charge line. Not sure if the new procedures on the 4cyl leave the electric power steering powered or not. IF the principle is to leave power to the electric power steering, a battery disconnect would invalidate the instructions.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My battery did go dead. I will be at a dealership in the morning today to see if they can figure out why. Will post anything relevant I discover.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #21

We have a battery hot lead from the RV to the Equinox that's included n the same wiring harness as for turn signals & brakes. We also usually run the Equinox while at rest stops - for about ~5 minutes. And we make sure that all of the Equinox dash board power items are shut off (running lites, radio, fan, etc).

I like the idea of installing a battery disconnect switch as another level of insurance to prevent the battery from draining, but we do NOT have such as switch installed, yet. If we ever start experiencing battery problems then I would investigate that further.
damagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #22

We have been full timing with a 12 Terrain 6cyl for 5 years and many thousands of miles and never had a problem. No charge line, no battery disconnect switch. We do flip a switch that inactivates a fuse.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing