Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #1

Towing Honda 2010 CRV 2wd on a dolly

I need to tow our Honda 2010 CRV 2wd on a dolly. Can't find anything about that in owner's manual. Can this be done without damage to the car? What is the experience here? Thanks.
2InAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I've got a 2005 Kia Sedona 2wd on a dolly behind a 1999 DP and no problems. I lock rhe tranny ( in park) and drive like I normally do.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
I've got a 2005 Kia Sedona 2wd on a dolly behind a 1999 DP and no problems. I lock rhe tranny ( in park) and drive like I normally do.
Its a Honda not a Kia
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2InAlabama View Post
I need to tow our Honda 2010 CRV 2wd on a dolly. Can't find anything about that in owner's manual. Can this be done without damage to the car? What is the experience here? Thanks.
Well Sir,
There must be a reason that Honda didn't spell out the procedure for dolly towing your '10 CRV. If I'm not mistaken, about 99.9% of all the CRVs out there, are flat towable. But, just to make sure, I'd definitely dive deep into the owners manual for flat towing your model and year. I don't know the technical differences between a 2010 model and our previous toad, a 2011 Honda CRV EX-L 4WD but, again, I've always been lead to believe that, just about every CRV is flat towable.

I just checked my files where I keep all the year model Dinghy Towing Guides and, for the year 2010, Honda says yours is flat towable with no restrictions. Now, if you have some particular reason that you DEMAND towing it on a dolly, they you'll have to call Honda to see what possible damage to the rest of the drive train could incur or, any other problems with dolly operations. Not to mention, where to put the dolly after you arrive at campsites and RV/Parks.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
There must be a reason that Honda didn't spell out the procedure for dolly towing your '10 CRV. If I'm not mistaken, about 99.9% of all the CRVs out there, are flat towable. But, just to make sure, I'd definitely dive deep into the owners manual for flat towing your model and year. I don't know the technical differences between a 2010 model and our previous toad, a 2011 Honda CRV EX-L 4WD but, again, I've always been lead to believe that, just about every CRV is flat towable.

I just checked my files where I keep all the year model Dinghy Towing Guides and, for the year 2010, Honda says yours is flat towable with no restrictions. Now, if you have some particular reason that you DEMAND towing it on a dolly, they you'll have to call Honda to see what possible damage to the rest of the drive train could incur or, any other problems with dolly operations. Not to mention, where to put the dolly after you arrive at campsites and RV/Parks.
Scott
Yes Sir, I second that motion. The CRC is one of the easiest cars on the market to tow four down. A dolly would not be an option for me.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #6

I neglected to mention that this is a one-time tow of 700 miles with a Penske moving van, so I will not have a standard RV-style brake and electrical hookup. It's either tow it on a dolly or use a bigger truck and tow it on a trailer. I prefer the dolly if I can make it work.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm sure if you look in your owner's manual, it will specifically state exactly how to tow your CRV.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
It was towed on a trailer from the plant to your dealer. What would be the difference?
Old 05-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #9

I want to use the smaller (16 ft) truck which doesn't efficiently tow the heavier trailer. So I'm trying to use the dolly to tow the car. There is no mention in the owner's manual of the use of a dolly to tow the CRV. That's ok - one of my buddies at the dealer just got back to me, says it's ok on the dolly.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
If you break down and need a tow truck, there's gotta be a section in the owner's manual about how to do this. A dolly would be the same thing only just no "hook". I realize that it wouldn't say anything about a dolly, but it most definitely says something about being towed!

Anyway, glad you got it worked out.

Ron
Old 05-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #11

Is the CRV a front wheel drive? If so the rear wheels are just tag along and there is no problem. If it is rear wheel drive ???????
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Is the CRV a front wheel drive? If so the rear wheels are just tag along and there is no problem. If it is rear wheel drive ???????

All CRVs are either FWD or AWD.....no RWD.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #13

Well he says it is a 2wd so I would assume it is front wheel so he should have no problem with using a dolly.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, towing