Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee That Has Quadra-Lift Air Suspension

Just purchased and set up to tow 4 down a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited that has the "Off-Road Adventure II" option that includes the Quadra-Lift Air Suspension.

Will be using a Roadmaster 10K BlackHawk II towbar. Just had the Roadmaster base plate installed (EZ4 with crossbar) along with an SMI Air Force One braking system. I installed the base plate on the last toad we had myself and said never again, so found a hitch company experienced with installing base plates and brake systems (they did 3 last week) and paid them to do it.

Have previously been using a "Brake Buddy" and think I'm really going to like the ease of hooking up the AF1 when getting ready to tow.

The Jeep owners manual gives good instructions on preparing the Jeep for towing, however I'm not sure what can or should be done with the air suspension.

When they were going over the instructions on hook/up & towing at the company that did the install the tech indicated he set the air suspension to 2 to make the height difference of the motorhome/Jeep closer. I understand the max difference should be no more than 3 inches or a drop hitch should be used. With the air suspension at 2 the height of the hook up on the Jeep was 20-1/2", motor home was 21-1/2" After I got home and unhooked set the air suspension back down to 1 and the Jeep hook up height measured 19-1/2".

My thinking is that having the Jeep 2" lower is going to be OK and it will not be necessary to raise the suspension to tow. For those of you with Jeeps with air suspension what do you do? If you do raise it does the height stay up when towing?

Also, do you have any other advice about towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I sure see a lot of them on the road?

Do not want to get into discussion on the wobble here, have been reading about it and am following the other threads on this.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I wouldn't bother raising the suspension if you're at 2" or so.

I have an '14 JGC with the same package and suspension. I use a Blue Ox setup, but it tows just fine. No issues at all.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #3

My 2017 Summit manual says to tow at ride height. I’ll have to turn off the entry/exit feature when I start towing behind the RV.

What I don’t understand is when you reach 55 mph, the Summit goes into aero mode which lowers the suspension below ride height. ?????
Old 10-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had a 2012 and now a 2014 with the air suspension. Between the two I have towed over 40,000 miles. I don't mess with the ride height, just leave it in the normal position.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #5

I tow a JGC Summit with air suspension. I follow Jeep manual which states to have Suspension in low position. I would do that then adjust hitch height if necessary. You will love the AF1.
Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
What I don’t understand is when you reach 55 mph, the Summit goes into aero mode which lowers the suspension below ride height. ?????
Good question. I'm thinking that it will not go into "Aero" mode with the ignition off but not sure. In Areo mode it lowers another inch and would be right at the 3" limit.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #7

I didn’t mean to imply that it will change height with ignition off. It will not.

Aero mode lowers it .6” from normal height and the entry/exit mode lowers 1.6”. You will have to use normal ride height for towing.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans. Cajun View Post
I tow a JGC Summit with air suspension. I follow Jeep manual which states to have Suspension in low position. I would do that then adjust hitch height if necessary. You will love the AF1.
Must have missed it but looked in the manual and you are correct, it says:

"4. If vehicle is equipped with Quadra-Lift air suspension, ensure the vehicle is set to Normal Ride Height".

Later in the manual it says under Note:

"If the vehicle is equipped with Quadra-Lift air suspension, then engine should be started and left running for minimum of 60 seconds (with all doors close) at least once every 24 hours. This process allows the air suspension to adjust the vehicle's ride height to compensate for temperature effects"

Thank you for your input. Will not be raising the air suspension to tow.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
My 2017 Summit manual says to tow at ride height. I’ll have to turn off the entry/exit feature when I start towing behind the RV.

Good point on turning off the Entry/Exit Mode. That would lower the suspension automatically another 1.6" if enabled. Had mine turned on and it really does not make much difference getting in and out, just disabled it so there will be one less thing to remember when hooking up.

Thank you for your input.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:34 AM   #10

I'm getting ready to setup out 2011 GC Overland for tow. My plan is to have a pro install the base plate, then configure with a blue ox tow bar and patriot braking system. Any thoughts on the tow bar for a class III hitch, and "attachments" to protect the tow from stone chips etc.
texoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #11

On my 2015 GC Summit I use the Avail tow bar 10,000 lb (super easy to unhook), Blue Ox base plate, Blue Ox Kar Gard Shield (works great, no chips after 6,000 miles); however, I chose the Air Force One braking system. I would not change a thing; works great. Good luck and enjoy.
Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #12

I heard from the company that is installing the base plates etc. that the blue ox patriot 2 is not compatible with the orientation and size of the brake pedal in the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Does anyone know if this is the case?

The installation company recommended the RVi3.
texoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, suspension, tow, towing