Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
my in-laws have an early model 08 Wrangler & their steering wheel locks, they found out real quick when they tried pulling it after I told them our 09 doesn't...
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara and I do not have an ignition (steering wheel) lock.
That is surprising. I have a friend with an '08 Sahara and he definitely has a locking steering wheel (he found out the hard way). Guess Jeep was just trying to keep things interesting.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:52 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I dunno the hows or the whys regarding my 07 Wrangler and a ignition lock. I may have "busted" it when I first towed it and took the keys out. All I know is I tow it now with the keys in my pocket. I have the Jeep dealer do almost all my oil change/lube stuff ($14.95 per) and the service guy mentioned that some came without the ignition lock........Im just sayen.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:57 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
My friend tows an 08 Wrangler and it does not have steering lock. Chrysler probably installed the steering lock units on the 08 models until they ran out.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #19

For some reason, some 08s ( mostly early production, apparently) got steering locks (like me), some didn't. the lock doesn't lock until the wheel is pretty hard over, so I didn't find out until I made a sharp turn and the wheel decided to lock; up until that point, since it didn't lock near center, I figured there wasn't one. Easy enough to tell, remove the key and crank the wheel a full turn or more. If it doesn't lock, you're one of the lucky ones.

Either way, no big deal, I just had a dummy key made up with no chip to unlock the steering, and pull the IOD fuse. There are much worse things.
Samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Pull the key out and turn till it locks? I have 18" wheels with the Bridgestone Duelers. Turning the wheel to a "hard over" position is VERY difficult without the power steering. Is there an easier way to see if I somehow have been lucky so far regarding a steering wheel lock?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
Pull the key out and turn till it locks? I have 18" wheels with the Bridgestone Duelers. Turning the wheel to a "hard over" position is VERY difficult without the power steering. Is there an easier way to see if I somehow have been lucky so far regarding a steering wheel lock?
Find an open parking lt with an incline. Put your transfer case in neutral, pull the key and let it roll just far enough to turn the wheelk hard over. The brakes will likely be hard to push, so don't go too fast and have plenty of room to stop.

The safer way. Next time you are getting your oil changed or otherwise have your Jeep in a lift, simply turn the wheels by hand.

BTW, I'm surprised any steering lock locks with the wheels all the way over. Most in times past lock in center position.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
I also tow a 02 Wrangler....it has a steering wheel lock.

So I put the transfer case in neutral........the tranny in neutral ( auto ).......turn the ignition switch to the " on " position....that unlocks the steering wheel......but the dash lights are all on.....so I installed a disconnect on the neg (-) side of the battery....and lift it to shut off all the dash lights. But I had to run a fused " hot " cig. lighter plug .....direct from the battery..... to the console for my braking system.

Now..... I wonder .....being a digital odometer dash.....if the battery was NOT disconnected ....would the odometer register mileage when towing ????
don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #23

[QUOTE=
BTW, I'm surprised any steering lock locks with the wheels all the way over. Most in times past lock in center position.[/QUOTE]

Me, too. I figured that since it didn't lock straight ahead, I was home free. Right up until I made a hard turn leaving the park, and noticed that suddenly I had to crank the moho wheel over to correct for the drag from the jeep trying to turn hard left. Big surprise.
Samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by somarmd View Post
Hmm, I tow an 02 wrangler and I have to keep key in or steering wheel locks. Something I'm doing wrong?
I disabled my steering lock. easy stuff. This thread will show you how http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/disab...ock-70084.html

I didn't mention that above because the OP has a 2010 and they don't have steering locks.

and no, my 2000 TJ doesn't count miles being towed with the key off.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2008 Wrangler and it definitely has a steering wheel lock. I'm very surprised at the poster that has an 07 with no lock. I've never heard of that. Just turn the wheel a little past center and it will lock. Very easy to do with the engine not running.

I had a simple key made at a locksmith for a couple of bucks to leave in the ignition when flat towing. The key will unlock the wheel but if you try to start the Jeep, it will just turn off since there is no security chip in the key. With a key turned to unlock the wheel, you have to pull a fuse in order not to run the battery down. disconnecting the battery is not required.

I wish I had an 09 or newer. It would be a bit simpler.

Do a search on this board and you will find a detailed thread on preparing a JK Wrangler for flat towing.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
2007 and 2008 Wranglers have steering locks which requires that the key be in the accessory position to defeat the lock while towing. 2009 and up Wranglers do not have the steering lock. Wish I had one instead of a 2007.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are some 08 Wranglers (probably late year production) that do not have steering wheel lock.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
The real way to tell if a Wrangler (JK model--2007 through 2011) has a steering lock or not is to turn the steering wheel one-half turn (180 degrees) either way with the key out of the ignition and see if the steering wheel lock engages. Our Wrangler's steering lock works as described above, just like our PT Cruiser did.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing