Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #43

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
I have never been stopped by any police for anything, that alone to have one want to check if I have brakes on a cargo trailer or a toad being towed.

Do other RVers get stopped and checked for brakes on there tow a lot?
I never have even seen a RVer stopped along the road with a Police car behind it.

You probably have a better chance of winning a lottery then being stopped for a brake check.
It's not always the laws of the state you're traveling in you have to worry about, but the laws of physics that are effect in pretty much every state! Perhaps my conscious is stronger than some others, but I would have a hard time living with myself if I knowingly ignored a safety issue like brakes that caused a problem down the road.

The more brakes you have, the faster and safer you stop. Save a few bucks now, pay more for body work later.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

The more brakes you have, the faster and safer you stop. Save a few bucks now, pay more for body work later.
-
ALL safety issues must be looked at from a risk vs cost basis. If not how do you justify not building additional roll cages inside the cockpit, armor plating around the passenger area, replacing all glass with plexiglass, the list could become endless.
-
You can't just say safety is worth whatever the cost, or we'd all walk around in Kevlar with armed security beside us. We all suffer far more likely danger from violent crime than from unassisted brakes on toads, so we have to make choices and accept reasonable risk.
-
It's foreseeable and affordable solutions we need to strive after, and affordable is a value statement that can only be determined by each individual. Bill Gates can justify professional security guards and body armor as affordable, few others can. Are we to be chided that "you'll be sorry you didn't pay for a security detail when you wife is attacked" for accepting that some risk is a part of everyday life?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
We are planning to tow our 86 Suzuki Samurai behind our 36' Class A from Arizona to California through Nevada next week.
-
Some knowledgable people have said no problem, others said I must have an assisted braking device like Brake Buddy. I can't get a straight authoritative answer, even a law enforcement buddy wasn't 100% certain.
-
My RV has one side of the system, the car doesn't. I can't afford the $1200 this week to buy it, but would rather not leave the toad behind if I can avoid it.
-
How do you get a straight answer on this kind of stuff? Why do I even need it? It's not like the toad is going to be pushing my 23,000lb RV.
I opt for brakes on the item I tow. Personal choice, pulled enough equipment on a farm that did not require brakes. Last box trailer I purchased I upgraded to a slightly larger trailer to get the brakes.

The way I (for my self) see it is insurance (like a spare tire or wheel chocks). .....long hill, slippery conditions and other reasons. While a bit different, when the box trailer gets a little rambunctious behind me a tap on the brake controller settles it down.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #46

A toad is a trailer. Trailers break loose.
You dont get stopped so your toad can be checked for being legally equipped very often. But, local authorities and the NTSB could put you in a bind if it comes loose.

".....more than 15,000 people have been killed and more than 400,000 injured during the past 40 years due to loose trailer accidents on our nation's highways." http://dangeroustrailersaccidentstha...icles.html?m=1

Personal injury lawyers get paid well. Negligence and such can require other legal penalties.

We all have RVs. less than $1000 for a tow dolly or $2000 for 4-down. You cant have a break-free device without brakes.
And yet, some choose not to add that extra safety, and even tow illegally.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #47

Well stated rainingstar.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Do other RVers get stopped and checked for brakes on there tow a lot?
I never have even seen a RVer stopped along the road with a Police car behind it. You probably have a better chance of winning a lottery then being stopped for a brake check.
Friends of ours (AZ residents) were stopped in Texas by a State Trooper for being over length. The Trooper checked everything (including the brakes) and cited them for non commercial plates on their trailer. They made the mistake of telling the trooper they had items for sale in the trailer. They were a couple of feet too long but he didn't cite them for being over length.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Friends of ours (AZ residents) were stopped in Texas by a State Trooper for being over length. The Trooper checked everything (including the brakes) and cited them for non commercial plates on their trailer. They made the mistake of telling the trooper they had items for sale in the trailer. They were a couple of feet too long but he didn't cite them for being over length.
After ten years as a union rep defending professional drivers I could tell some stories about guys stopped for law A, and written up with a phone book thick pile of tickets on other stuff. Sadly that's off topic, but troubling when it's happening to someone you care about.
-
Even knew a female driver who was stopped to be given a complementary ticket for courteous driving, but was sited on four other things after refusing the cops offer to take her to dinner. Needless to say, we won that one. Obviously he stopped her with the intent of hitting on her.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 05-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
What's frustrating is how can it be deemed safe in state A to drive without a CDL yet in state B its required? The overlapping of state laws and trying to follow everyone of them can be difficult.
I suggest knowing what's required in your state that your RV is plated in and follow that. I don't believe a state your traveling thru can enforce a law that isn't required in your home state.
As stated by another, a CDL is NOT required for a recreational vehicle. FWIW, CDL licensing and commercial vehicle standards are regulated by the feds and enforced by the states.

Generally, if you comply with the state registration, licensing, and other motor vehicle requirements you will be okay. There are exceptions. A state can regulate weight, length, and double tow limitations regardless of what your state may require. Even you tow vehicle's supplemental braking system and break-away system may be okay as long as they comply with your registered states requirements. You may be ticketed by another state, but you can likely fight the ticket.

Where yiu MAY have a problem out of state is when you are involved in an accident. Then lawyers get involved.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Raining star . As a union rep you know that sometimes you got to do what you
got to do . Reroute a little , be extra careful, enjoy your vacation . A couple of paychecks later the discussion will be moot.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #52
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
Raining star . As a union rep you know that sometimes you got to do what you
got to do . Reroute a little , be extra careful, enjoy your vacation . A couple of paychecks later the discussion will be moot.
I think Re-routing only absolves you from possibly getting a ticket. It doesn't absolve you from being sued if there is an accident or worse, a fatality. Should something happen, Negligence will likely negate insurance coverage if proven guilty. That means you will be directly responsible to pay any court ordered costs. Could be millions in a fatality. Lets see...$2,000,000 and lose everything you've got vs $1,000 for a brake system.
That would be like not purchasing insurance and hoping you wouldn't get caught. Outcome would still be the same.

Ya, you can take a chance! Play the odds! Just let me know which route you take and I'll re-route around you.

Raining star, you mentioned your relative wouldn't appreciate a hole through his firewall. I wonder how he'd feel if his vehicle came unhooked and got totaled off.

Trying not to be harsh, sorry if I come across that way, everyone makes their own choices, but personally, I wouldn't take a chance and would opt not to go anywhere without making sure I'm covered for any possible problem. It cost me almost $3,000 for my full set up installed. Visa loved me, but I go down the road with confidence.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Trying not to be harsh, sorry if I come across that way, everyone makes their own choices, but personally, I wouldn't take a chance and would opt not to go anywhere without making sure I'm covered for any possible problem. It cost me almost $3,000 for my full set up installed. Visa loved me, but I go down the road with confidence.
You don't seem harsh to me, no need to pull punches on my account. As I've said, I'm a professional driver with a spotless record. There is no greater advocate for safety than myself. I've ordered a system, it won't be here in time for this trip, so I've done all I could.
-
I meet all legal requirements. While I understand the limit of that statement, I will go above and beyond as soon as I can.
-
If I was to go into more debt for the sake of safety it would be security related. We are far more likely to face criminal danger than toad danger. Again, simple risk assessment.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 05-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #54
YC1

Long before toad braking systems became popular or I even knew about them we towed a full size Chevy Blazer from Calif to Colorado several years. We had a smaller RV but the combined weight was in limits as was the tow rating. Using the automatic transmission to downshift going down hills and braking we never had any issues. An extra brake would have been nice but we lived without it nicely.

Ditto on the Calif specs not requiring one. And we have some monster hills to tend with.

Do I have a brake on my Edge. Yes. I like the extra stopping power in the crazy traffic places we go.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #55
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
On a lighter note.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2219600832.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	39482
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
After all this debate it just becomes a moot point, we've decided not to take the toad. It has nothing to do with assisted braking, state laws or anything discussed here.
-
When I get back I'll be looking at getting a new Honda Fit as a toad. No doubt when I'm setting that up I'll post something here that will start another spirited discussion.
-
As always, thanks everyone for sharing you knowledge and experience.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)