Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #29

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityJim View Post
Call a Hydralift Dealer or call up Brad at hydralift. This lift has been installed on just about every coach/chassis and a lot of 5th wheels. A qualified shop will be able to add the extra structure needed and Hydralift gives us dealers basic install guidelines and support for specific install applications
I fail to see what they can realistically do about axle ratings being exceeded or (in the case of a 5th wheel) pin weight being radically reduced. It's critical to understand that the rear axle loading (for a MH) or total trailer axle loading (for a 5th wheel) will be increased by the sum of the weight of the Hydralift and its carried load, the structural modifications AND the weight removed from the front wheels or kingpin. Very few 5th wheels have that much reserve axle capacity when fully loaded with all the other gear RVers carry, especially full-timers.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #30

Went to the lake this weekend. Sorry I missed all the great comments and ideas.

Anyway, it just so happens that a guy form my hometown was there with his new 30 foot class A Ford Chassis. He had a hydralift, his Harley and a boat. He added some Sumo Springs to the top of the leak pack in the rear and said it was fine driving down the road. He gave me a number to the shop that installs them in the San Jose area. The owner can take all your weights and specs and come to a bottom line to see if the lift can work on my coach.

The differences between my coach and the one I saw today are as follows:
My frame extends all the way to the back of the coach.
My rear axle is located further back towards the rear bumper.
I believe these 2 items alone work in my favor, but we'll see what the installer says.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
For Rear Lifts have your front & rear axle weighted when loaded for travel. Then you can add on the extra weight of a lift by below.

Measure the distance from the center of rear axle to the center of the weight(Lift).
Divide that number by the RV’s wheelbase.
Multiply the result by 100 to get percent.
That percent of the load is added to the load and becomes the total load added to the rear axle.
That percent of the load is subtracted from the front axle weight and unloads the front axle by that amount.

800 lb bike, Lift 100 lb=900 lb
Center axle to rear 120” wheelbase 240”
120 divide by 240=0.50 X 100= 50%
Weight is 1350 lb added to rear axle
Front axle will be 450 lbs lighter

Make sure your rear axle is not overloaded.
Gas RV's usually have less carrying capacity then a DP.
And not all DP can use a lift.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
What about a Trike and still tow my Flex?
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
For Rear Lifts have your front & rear axle weighted when loaded for travel. Then you can add on the extra weight of a lift by below.

Measure the distance from the center of rear axle to the center of the weight(Lift).
Divide that number by the RV’s wheelbase.
Multiply the result by 100 to get percent.
That percent of the load is added to the load and becomes the total load added to the rear axle.
That percent of the load is subtracted from the front axle weight and unloads the front axle by that amount.

800 lb bike, Lift 100 lb=900 lb
Center axle to rear 120” wheelbase 240”
120 divide by 240=0.50 X 100= 50%
Weight is 1350 lb added to rear axle
Front axle will be 450 lbs lighter

Make sure your rear axle is not overloaded.
Gas RV's usually have less carrying capacity then a DP.
And not all DP can use a lift.
I have yet to get the coach weighed. When I do, I'll crunch the numbers. Thanks for the formula.

Does this sound like a good plan when I go to weigh it:

Full tank of gas, water and propane.
Empty grey and black water
Normal gear and food
Bring the boat.

Weigh the whole RV
Weigh the rear axle alone
Weigh the front axle alone
Weigh the whole RV with boat and trailer
Weigh the rear axle with boat and trailer
Weigh the front axle with the boat and trailer

Anything I should add or leave out?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:30 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
If possible while you are weighing.
Weigh each corner(4) alone to know the tire PSI to use.
Most are not balanced out the same side to side.

After you get your weight add for any passengers.
You probably want some water in the fresh tank and some in the black tank like it is ready to travel.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #35

The weight of the hydralift is 250lbs alone not 100 so figure that in. Also, you will have to extend your hitch for the boat by about 2' so that too will make a difference.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnebout View Post
My frame extends all the way to the back of the coach.
Are you sure that you don't have a frame extension? I don't think that the frame of the W20 extends 116" beyond the rear axle. Driver do you have data on the rear overhang of the Wxx chassis.

In being responsive to the industry the RV chassis manufacturers (Ford, Workhorse) provide a number of wheelbases (178", 190", 208", 228", etc). They do this by installing frame extensions at the factory.

If the box needs an extended frame behind the rear wheels, the box manufacturer (Itasca, Fleetwood, etc) has to add it. This extended frame is typically not built to the same standards as the rest of the frame, hence the concern about loading it down more than stock.

You've been able to identify the frame extension between the front and rear wheels, examine the rear section for a transition as well.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnebout View Post
I have yet to get the coach weighed. When I do, I'll crunch the numbers. Thanks for the formula.

Does this sound like a good plan when I go to weigh it:

Full tank of gas, water and propane.
Empty grey and black water
Normal gear and food
Bring the boat.

Weigh the whole RV
Weigh the rear axle alone
Weigh the front axle alone
Weigh the whole RV with boat and trailer
Weigh the rear axle with boat and trailer
Weigh the front axle with the boat and trailer

Anything I should add or leave out?
Make sure the boat is fully loaded as well.

Most scales do not, cannot, weigh the entire vehicle, especially because of the length. So they separately weigh each axle. Here is a suggested list.

When you arrive at the weigh station with trailer (and boat):

Weigh the front axle
Weigh the rear axle
Weigh the boat axle(s) (together, don't need separate weights)
Drop the boat trailer
Weigh the front axle
Weigh the rear axle
Weigh each wheel of the RV (left and right, front and rear)

The first three will give you gross weight
The second two will show the affect of the boat and trailer
The last one will make sure your rig is balanced left to right.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
Make sure the boat is fully loaded as well.

Most scales do not, cannot, weigh the entire vehicle, especially because of the length. So they separately weigh each axle. Here is a suggested list.

When you arrive at the weigh station with trailer (and boat):

Weigh the front axle
Weigh the rear axle
Weigh the boat axle(s) (together, don't need separate weights)
Drop the boat trailer
Weigh the front axle
Weigh the rear axle
Weigh each wheel of the RV (left and right, front and rear)

The first three will give you gross weight
The second two will show the affect of the boat and trailer
The last one will make sure your rig is balanced left to right.

I'll get it done this week.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
Are you sure that you don't have a frame extension? I don't think that the frame of the W20 extends 116" beyond the rear axle. Driver do you have data on the rear overhang of the Wxx chassis.

In being responsive to the industry the RV chassis manufacturers (Ford, Workhorse) provide a number of wheelbases (178", 190", 208", 228", etc). They do this by installing frame extensions at the factory.

If the box needs an extended frame behind the rear wheels, the box manufacturer (Itasca, Fleetwood, etc) has to add it. This extended frame is typically not built to the same standards as the rest of the frame, hence the concern about loading it down more than stock.

You've been able to identify the frame extension between the front and rear wheels, examine the rear section for a transition as well.
Just crawled it. No other frame extensions except for the splice in the middle. 228" wheel base. Looks like it may have been done by Workhorse and Tiffin just built the 32 footer on what they got from the frame manufacturer. I am glad I double checked it again though. This is actually great news in my opinion!!
Old 05-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
New user here, I want to carry my harley and tow my boat as well. I spoke to Brad at Hydralift and he stated that it can be done if the tongue on my boat trailer was long enough. After i measured the distance from the tip of my boat to the end of my tongue (it was two feet), I call Brad back, he stated that I did not have enough distance between my boat and tongue. I then found an RVer with a Hydralift, I measured from the end of his hitch to the back of the carrier and discovered I would need at least a 2' extension from the hitch. From what I have read, that 2' would would only support a 75lb tongue weight. My weight is at least 250lbs. I am still searching for the right answer as well. I have a 2011 Four Winds 39' DP, no tag, Freightliner Chassis.
fatboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy01 View Post
New user here, I want to carry my harley and tow my boat as well. I spoke to Brad at Hydralift and he stated that it can be done if the tongue on my boat trailer was long enough. After i measured the distance from the tip of my boat to the end of my tongue (it was two feet), I call Brad back, he stated that I did not have enough distance between my boat and tongue. I then found an RVer with a Hydralift, I measured from the end of his hitch to the back of the carrier and discovered I would need at least a 2' extension from the hitch. From what I have read, that 2' would would only support a 75lb tongue weight. My weight is at least 250lbs. I am still searching for the right answer as well. I have a 2011 Four Winds 39' DP, no tag, Freightliner Chassis.
[/QUOTE=Billieg] The weight of the hydralift is 250lbs alone not 100 so figure that in. Also, you will have to extend your hitch for the boat by about 2' so that too will make a difference. [/QUOTE]

I told my DW I was "sometimes right" LOL You may be able to extend your trailer tongue the 2-3 foot but that would place more weight on the trailer axles which may in turn cause more problems unless you beef up the springs and maybe the bearings and tires too. You could buy a larger trailer. Man, Aren't toys fun?
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Billieg, Your are right, toys are great fun some people wish they could have our problems. sooner or later I will get this figured out.
Thanks for answering my post.
fatboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote