Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #1

Towing my 2004 F-150 Lariat 4x4

I have been desperately trying to get information on what I need to do to tow my 2004 F-150 Lariat 4x4 Auto with Dash switch for 2HI 4HI and 4Low , Everyone wants to be generic. I need to be specific to my vehicle. I have been to the Ford dealer, all they want is money just to talk to you, No help! Or they just say "can't be done" first off. I have seen posts for a Neutral switch but can't find one for my vehicle, Just too many posts to list but none of them are for my specific year and model. Some say I have to get a Driveshaft Disconnect, Some say it won't work.
Needless to say I'm getting frustrated. Does anyone really know what I can do?
Can anyone help?
I want to get on the road and am stuck here cuz I can't tow!
HELP!!!
cmjretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 07:18 PM   #2

Welcome,

FWIW:
Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine
vehicles listed by yr. model.

Good luck.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #3

It looks like Remco says you need a drive shaft dis-connect. Store : Remco
Old 08-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #4

I was told that my 2004 F150 had no neutral in transfer case and will need a driveshaft disconnect. However, the front hubs don't go into neutral unless the engine is running. I don't know if it is a vacuum or electrical issue. Ended up trading for a newer truck. With Blue Ox 10000 lb towbar and AF ONE braking system, it has been a very good, easy to manage toad
Old 08-09-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't answer your questions!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #6

Ford didn't have a neutral tow option until something like 2012 on the F150. Rangers and Sport Trac did have it before then. You will need a much more complicated and expensive solution to tow your F150 with automatic transmission such as drive shaft disconnect.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjretired View Post
I have been desperately trying to get information on what I need to do to tow my 2004 F-150 Lariat 4x4 Auto with Dash switch for 2HI 4HI and 4Low , Everyone wants to be generic. I need to be specific to my vehicle. I have been to the Ford dealer, all they want is money just to talk to you, No help! Or they just say "can't be done" first off. I have seen posts for a Neutral switch but can't find one for my vehicle, Just too many posts to list but none of them are for my specific year and model. Some say I have to get a Driveshaft Disconnect, Some say it won't work.
Needless to say I'm getting frustrated. Does anyone really know what I can do?
Can anyone help?
I want to get on the road and am stuck here cuz I can't tow!
HELP!!!
Thanks for your replies.
I went to another Ford and talked to a Service Manager and a mechanic yesterday. Basically I'm out of luck, even if I install a disconnect I would still have to get a Tow Dolly. They said that the front hubs are vacuum operated and I would have to leave the engine running while towing to keep them unlocked to prevent the transfer case from turning thus turning the transmission and burning it up.
Just another example of Murphy following me everywhere I go! ��
cmjretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:21 PM   #8

cmjretired,
I just got to this thread or you would have had your correct answer a while ago. For years, GMC, Chevy and Dodge have authorized it's 1/2 ton 4x4 automatic fleet, to be flat towed, without issue. But, Ford, in it's infinite wisdom, was CLUELESS and all the way up to 2011, DID NOT authorize any of it's F-150 or, (basic half ton) 4x4 fleet to be flat towed. It was in 2012 that someone in Ford, decided: "Hey, the other three are doing it, why don't we?"

So, in 2012, Ford changed its programming in its electronic shift transfer case system, to provide for NEUTRAL. And, by following a few dozen steps (a bit of exaggeration there) you could now put it into Neutral and flat tow it.

But, basically, on your '04 you're out of luck. Now, it's a 4x4 so, if you disconnect one drive shaft, you MAY have to disconnect both of them. I'm not familiar with Ford drive trains and input and such on there transfer cases. I suspect you don't have front "manual" hubs (the kind you used to have to get out and turn in or out for four wheel drive axle locking) which means your front drive shaft may be turning all the time that truck is moving. That means it will be turning things in that transfer case that may be non-lubed while motoring down the road, not sure.

Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing