Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #1

Location: I currently live in Temecula, CA, southern california wine country
Send a message via Skype™ to Coyotetr
Red face Towing my honda civic 4 flat

I purchased a 2017 honda civic 6 speed made in the United Kingdom. I was told by the dealer and other forums that it can be towed 4 flat. It is a pretty basic manual transmission on a pretty basic car, not even a cd player which I had to add. I have been towing it short distances like 50 miles or less but I want to take it on a longer trip. The steering wheel does not have a lock but I do put it in accessory so the lights and things work, however, the power steering does not. The car tows and the wheels turn but the steering is manual. Now if I want the power steering to work, I start the car and leave it in gear and go slow until the engine dies, now the power steering works. My question, is it safe to tow with the manual steering or do I really need to have the power steering work? Any ideas?
Coyotetr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #2

Wow

I don’t understand anything about how you tried towing your standard transmission Honda with respects to power steering.

Is there a section in the owners manual labled “Recreational towing” or such. Don’t listen to the salesperson. I’ll bet the doesn’t tow a car.

I don’t understand why you feel the need to have the car in the accessory position. What are you trying to power on ACC?

Nobody’s vehicle has their power steering working while being towed.

Can you clarify where you’ve been getting your information for towing so far?
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Wow

I don’t understand anything about how you tried towing your standard transmission Honda with respects to power steering.

Is there a section in the owners manual labled “Recreational towing” or such. Don’t listen to the salesperson. I’ll bet the doesn’t tow a car.

I don’t understand why you feel the need to have the car in the accessory position. What are you trying to power on ACC?

Can you clarify where you’ve been getting your information for towing so far?
I got some publications from the dealer as well as going on some blogs and some mechanics themselves. Some pro others against. The manual is for US automatic transmissions, it doesn't say a thing about manual transmissions. I was just turning on accessory for the lights but the blue ox really controls them. I've towed manual transmissions for years then I got a ford fusion and had to do the pull over and run it through the gears bit. I went a little to far once and overheated the transmission and pow.
So I'm a little paranoid, what is wrong with towing a manual transmission car? This one built in the UK seems to free wheel.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Problem arises if the gears aren't getting lubed. Some automatics don't get lube if the pump isn't running.
Usually a manual trans is splash lubed by the gears turning, if that happens, no problem. If the splash only happens when the engine is running then you have problems.
No need to have the engine running to power the power steering. Been towing Honda's four down for years without the engine running.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

Not exactly true anymore. The later model Jeep Cherokee's have Electronic Power Steering (EPS) that requires a special module and power while towing to (hopefully) prevent the known Jeep "Death Wobble", condition from happening. Not necessary it appears in this case for Honda though.

From the Honda WebSite looking at User Manual for 2017 Civic (really don't think it matters if it is a UK Honda or not) URL Here.
Towing Behind a Motorhome
Models with continuously variable transmission
Your vehicle is not designed to be towed behind a motorhome. If your vehicle needs to be towed in an emergency, refer to the emergency towing information. See page 119.
Models with manual transmission
Your vehicle can be towed behind a motorhome. Perform the following procedure before towing your vehicle:
1. Shift to Neutral.
2. Release the parking brake.
3. Turn the ignition switch (or power mode) to ACCESSORY. Make sure the steering wheel does not lock.
4. Turn off all electrical devices. Do not use any accessory power sockets. This can prevent the battery from running down.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #6

You don't need to be in ACC.
You don't need the power steering to work.
Steering wheel unlocked and transmission in neutral.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Remco says must be towed on a tow dolly. FMCA says no problemo. Confusing info.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 03-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I just can not let it go.

How can you start the car and leave it in gear, and then get out of the car with it not stalling? Maybe I am missing something, but I re read the post numerous times.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotetr View Post
I purchased a 2017 honda civic 6 speed made in the United Kingdom. I was told by the dealer and other forums that it can be towed 4 flat. It is a pretty basic manual transmission on a pretty basic car, not even a cd player which I had to add. I have been towing it short distances like 50 miles or less but I want to take it on a longer trip. The steering wheel does not have a lock but I do put it in accessory so the lights and things work, however, the power steering does not. The car tows and the wheels turn but the steering is manual. Now if I want the power steering to work, I start the car and leave it in gear and go slow until the engine dies, now the power steering works. My question, is it safe to tow with the manual steering or do I really need to have the power steering work? Any ideas?
I am not sure if you are serious.

Really you need to read your operators manual for your Honda.

You can tow your Honda with manual steering, I am not sure where you would get an idea that you need power steering for towing.

Your power steering cannot operate without the vehicle running.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #10

To get the steering to work like you are driving the car (power steering) you start the car, put it in gear and let out the clutch but you don't give it any gas. The car stalls and is still in the on position. The motor isn't running but the steering wheel turns with the power steering assist. Evidently according to the guidelines of 4 flat towing you don't have to do this. See the above post by "kenandterry"
Old 03-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #11

Sorry the manual post was from "sedaliaterry" Thanks Terry, you made my day, I downloaded the manual. I did go to page 119 as you suggested but that was for emergency towing for automatics, where I did find the 4 flat towing is page 94. Thanks again Terry, you made my day.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #12

I read this and was pretty happy to learn that a new Civic manual can be flat-towed. Then I tried to confirm by looking at the manual online and they say otherwise. There is one page (in the 90’s) that talks about emergency towing. The other page (in the 400’s) says that it is not designed to be towed by a motorhome. I’ve looked at all three version (coupe, hatchback and sedan) and all are the same, just different page numbers.

Can you post a link to where you are seeing otherwise? I was headed to look at a certified manual coupe but am going to wait.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The new Accord with manual trans can also be towed four down according to the FMC magazine.
I hsve towed Honda's for years, starting with a '95 Ody automatic on a dolly. My parents towed an older Accord w/manual trans behind their Foretravel.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #14

Now I’m even more confused. Blue Ox sells base plates but Demco says a dolly is required.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, tow, towing