Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2023, 11:54 AM   #1

Towing my Jeep issue

I have been towing my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 all 4 tires down for 50,000 miles of travel in 5 years.
In order to do so there are steps to set the Jeep up that allows this besides hooking up all the towing gear.
First, start the Jeep, then shift the transmission into neutral, turn off the engine, shift the transfer case into neutral, shift the transmission into park, then turn the ignition key one click. This allows the steering wheel to not lock allowing front wheels to change direction as you drive.
My problem is all of a sudden the one click of the ignition is no longer working and I now cannot tow the Jeep. Does anyone have a fix to this problem?.
mccaleb47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2023, 12:05 PM   #2

Are you saying the first click no longer unlocks the steering wheel? I have a 2000 TJ and I didn't want that to happen so I removed the little cam that locks the steering wheel, it's not too bad of a job maybe 1 hour tops and now my steering wheel can never lock even with the key removed. I can't say if the Grand Cherokee is the same but here's how I did it on my TJ:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/...eel-lock.5138/
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:40 AM   #3

I've been told the reason my steering wheel won't unlock is either a computer issue or a solenoid not working.
If the repair is more expensive than looking into your fix,,, I will have to consider it. Thanks again!
mccaleb47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:01 AM   #4

This is interesting information.

I tow with a new (well, 2022) Jeep Wrangler and I guess I am lucky that the newer Jeeps don't lock the steering wheel. It means that I can turn the Jeep ignition completely off without worrying about the steering, and I wonder if that is because Jeeps are so popular as TOADs.

I have read that the new EV Jeeps can not be flat towed so I wonder if using a Jeep as a TOAD is coming to an end.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:26 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaleb47 View Post
My problem is all of a sudden the one click of the ignition is no longer working and I now cannot tow the Jeep. Does anyone have a fix to this problem?.

If you mean that you cannot turn the key at all, then try moving the steering wheel while turning the key - sometimes the steering wheel will turn slightly after you turned the key off and the locking mechanism becomes bound up.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you tried a different, new key? The keys wear down over time and so do the ignition switches.
Old 06-09-2023, 06:43 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To answer AJMike, My friend has a new 2022 Grand Cherokee 4xe (delivered 12/22) that tows just fine. It has a button that has to be pressed to put the transfer case in neutral.
Brake Buddy would not work with the regenerative wheels, but Air Force One does.
Old 06-10-2023, 06:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
To answer AJMike, My friend has a new 2022 Grand Cherokee 4xe (delivered 12/22) that tows just fine. It has a button that has to be pressed to put the transfer case in neutral.
Brake Buddy would not work with the regenerative wheels, but Air Force One does.
Good to know. I thought that the EV Jeeps could not be flat towed, so I am glad to find out that I was wrong.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 11:28 AM   #9

Flat Tow 4Xe

The Jeep 4Xe most certainly can be flat towed.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-533106.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Good to know. I thought that the EV Jeeps could not be flat towed, so I am glad to find out that I was wrong.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep, tow, towing