Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2021, 05:31 PM   #1

towing my ram 1500 using d-rings on winch bumper

I am considering towing my ram 1500 using the road master d-ring adaptors. Has anyone tired this and how did it go. I have towed dingys for years, but always used a base plate.
robjeff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2021, 06:58 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I tow my Rubicon from an after-market bumpers tow rings. They are attached through the bumper and bolt to brackets that sandwich the frame on both sides. I personnel would not tow from d-rings that are not physically attached to the frame of the vehicle and rate to be towed from. That is my personnel opinion.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:34 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Be very careful towing with after market bumpers. No all are physically strong enough to stand the flexing and stress of towing. I've seen at least one where the D ring broke completely out of the bumper.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:58 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I also tow a Jeep Wrangler with an aftermarket bumper. No way would I consider using the D rings. The D rings move up and down and although I’m not familiar with how you intend to connect to them, they also will likely move side to side. All this movement cannot be good, and probably be uncomfortable to tow because of the noise and movement.
By the way the attachment points on my aftermarket bumper use 4 grade 8 bolts on each side, all the way thru to the frame rails on the jeep, so they are the last thing in my set-up that should fail.
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:15 PM   #5

When you say d ring adapters, you mean adapters that attach to the recovery points on the bumper, right? Not the shackle that is used to connect a recovery rope or strap to the bumper.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:59 PM   #6

As usual,
Things get blown out of proportion in this kind of scenario. There are tons and tons of us Jeepers that tow our Jeeps using the *recovery tabs* that are welded to many aftermarket bumpers. Yes, there are some bumper manufacturers out there that do shoddy work and those are recognizable. We have a '15 JKUR which, while I've not actually weighed it yet, suspecting it tips the scales at close to 4,500-4,800 lbs or so, based on how this Jeep is equipped and, the load it carries on a daily basis.

I have equipped this Jeep with Smittybilt XRC MOD front and rear bumpers. Smittybilt's been in the Jeep aftermarket business for years and years. I've never, ever had any issues with their components/equipment on any of our 9 Jeeps over a 35 year period.

I am using the recovery tabs on the front bumper to hook the tow bar to. We have around 20,000-25,000 miles of towing that Jeep, using them. Guess what, the Jeep is still with us. I use some Blue Ox adapters to transition from the standard Blue Ox ends, to what's needed to adapt to the recovery tabs. Below are the ones I use. The pins that are the connecting pins were and are, extremely difficult to remove even if the Jeep is still pretty much in-line with the coach at the end of a days towing.

So, I remedied that by purchasing some D-handle pins from Tractor Supply. Waaaaaaaaaaay easier to remove since I started using them years ago. There are many, many aftermarket bumper makers to choose from out there. If you don't feel that you'd be safe using any, then don't, it's not rocket science. Go get a base plate and bolt it on, done.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0228.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	344069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	344070  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0888.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	344071   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0234.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	344072  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing