Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #1

Towing new Ford Escape

I really want to buy the 2013 Ford Escape --- but have huge concerns:

1. Does the 2013 have the same transmission used in previous year's Escapes?
2. If so, what problems are folks still having with "blowing" the transmission?
3. Did lowering the fluid level solve the problems?
4. The internet / blogs are full of horror stories - does the problem continue?

Thanks,
dougburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe this should be in the Toad forum?

joe
Old 03-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not read anything to describe whether or not they have changed the tranny in the 2013 Escape but there are a myriad of other changes from past models so it wouldn't surprise me if they had. The important thing to determine is whether Ford certifies the 2013 for four-down towing as they have on past models. The transmission problems experienced by some individuals while towing, while unfortunate, have not been experienced by all. I have towed my 2010 for over two years without incident.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #4

I believe the new escape has a new tranny. It is a 6 speed
newmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmar10 View Post
I believe the new escape has a new tranny. It is a 6 speed
So is my 2010 model. Not sure they are using a new transmission, reviews I've read talk about styling and engine changes only.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #6

Ford certified my 2010 Explorer to tow 4 down, except they won't sell you the kit to make it work. Pretty good HUH?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Ford changed transmissions in 2009. i had my dealer look it up when I bought my 2008 Mariner (in the odd change we would ever get a MH). what he found is up to, and including, 2008 would need to be towed on a dolly. Starting 2009 they could be towed 4 down.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #8

They tell me the trany they are puting in my 2010 will have different parts than the old one. Only time will tell. The first one went 15000 miles. It still drove fine but was blowing oil out the dip stick when normal driving
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
EPK

I do not believe that the 2013 Escape will be able to be towed 4 down, according to esourceBook mobile. Tow dolly for 2WD, flat bed for AWD. Have not been able to find a owners manual online yet. We have been thinking about a new Escape, but does not look like it is going to happen.
EPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #10

I have yet to meet a 2009 Escape or Mariner owner that has not had a problem flat towing their vehicle. I finally installed at my own expense a Remco tranmission pump model LP-FORD (6F35). This was after I blew 3 transmissions, which Ford did cover 100% in the warraty. Don't even think about flat towing without this supplemental pump. Ford will not pay for the pump, yet they now recommend it in a TSB to dealers. Have they solved it in the 2013 models? Good question. I am waiting on a response from Ford on that very question.
rkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkennedy View Post
Ford will not pay for the pump, yet they now recommend it in a TSB to dealers.
Suggest you may want to read the TSB a little closer. Ford does not "recommend" the Remco pump but only acknowledges it is available as an alternative to their towing procedures and, in fact, states it may void the warranty if used and contributes to any problem. This info is contained in TSB 11-07-15 which is the latest TSB on the subject I've seen. If there is a later one you're referring to, please provide the details and/or the TSB you are quoting.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #12

I have a 2010 escape that we are planning to tow 4 down per the manual. I see there are 2009 issues. This is the first I've heard of 2010 and newer issues.
Bama Rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #13

Got a letter from Remco and they are working with ford to supply Ford Motor Company with a kit to be installed by Ford Technitions. It should be released and availlable in early June
Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #14

In response to DandS - Use of the REMCO Transmission pump does NOT cancel the Ford Warranty. My pump was installed by a Ford Dealer at Ford's suggestion and approval. Secondly, in response to "Can you flat tow a 2013 Ford Espcape?" Here is the answer I received this morning to the question. Bottlom line they have decided to run from the problem rather than solve it. Too bad for them.

"Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. We appreciate the time you have taken to write us about the 2013 Ford Escape.

The 2013 Ford Escape is completely redesigned for 2013. As American drivers face longer commutes and more back pain, Ford engineers crafted smaller and lighter, yet more comfortable and supportive seats for the all-new 2013 Ford Escape that also help deliver improved fuel economy as part of an overall reduction in vehicle weight.

There are 3 different answers to your query about towing. When towing Escape behind another vehicle such as an RV, a front-wheel dolly or flatbed trailer must be used. FWD models can be flat-towed with a frontwheel dolly. 4WD models MUST use a flatbed trailer with all four wheels off the ground. The use of a front-wheel dolly may cause damage to the transmission and 4WD system.

Our Marketing Program Headquarters can make it easier to purchase your next Ford or Lincoln vehicle by informing you of all the current incentives available. We can also send out a new vehicle brochure for any vehicle(s) that may interest you. Our number is 1-800-334-4375 and we are here Monday - Friday 9am - 6pm EST to assist you. When you call, we can also set up a demonstration drive at a time and dealership of your choice to experience the vehicle first hand.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company and I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
Christopher
Ford Motor Company
Ford Marketing Program Headquarters"

Call yourself to above listed 800# to verify if you would like.
rkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote