Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #1

Towing questions 1996 Chevy Silverado 2 wd Automatic

Hello all - I tried to search on the site for info about my question, but my truck is rather old, so I didn't find much.. But I'm thinking some of you long time RVers probably towed chevy pickups of mid 90s era ? I'm getting ready to take my 1996 C-1500 Chevy pickup (2 wd auto trans) on a 1300 mile trip using a tow dolly, so rear wheels will be rolling.. I find that recommendations advise me to disconnect driveshaft, which is no problem. So I am looking at either completely removing the driveshaft vs. just disconnecting it and securely wiring it up between the frame rails.. If I remove the yoke out from transmission, I will need to use one of those plastic "plugs" like they use to ship transmissions to avoid leaking the fluid out, and to keep splines clean and protected during transit. That would be a good approach, but my local auto parts stores say they do not have the plastic plugs available.. So if I cannot find a suitable plastic plug, then that would mean I have no choice except leaving the driveshaft in place at transmission end.. Then I would wire it in place and tape up the U joint really well, to keep it intact.
My truck is a bit too wide for my trailer, so that's why I will need to use the tow dolly approach. Any thoughts, anyone ? Thank You
BeenThereB4
BeenThereB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #2

Most rear drive American vehicles would need the drive shaft removed or you could check with Remco if they make a pump for your trans. That is the only way to keep it lubricated.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #3

You may try to get a flatbed or cargo trailer. There are some for rent or you can purchase one locally and sell it on the other end. We needed a cargo trailer to move, so we purchased one and sold it when we were done.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Your friendly local wrecking yard can get you the yoke to fit into the tail shaft but if you don't secure it there is always a chance it could slide out. Jim E. OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #5

Towing Question 1996 Chevy pickup

Thanks to everyone for the good ideas, but I actually do have a 16 foot long flat bed trailer. The width on my trailer (75 inches between the side rails) will allow many cars or SUVs to fit on it, no problem. But my 96 Chevy pickup has a set of custom running boards on it, bringing the total width of the truck out to 80 inches. Modifying my trailer to fit my truck would not be practical, because I can pick up a tow dolly and just use that method instead, as long as I disconnect the driveshaft. That is easy enough, just a couple of u bolts..
Complete removal of the driveshaft would allow me to flat tow the truck just fine, but my transmission output shaft (splines) needs to be kept clean, and my fluid would run out, of course. So then the question becomes what is the easiest method I could use ? I would sure like to obtain some kind of plastic "plug" which would insert in place of the driveshaft yoke while in transit. But the auto supply stores do not seem to offer any such item. (I was hoping somebody on this website could tell me a source for the plastic plug) The extra yoke from the salvage yard is not a bad idea, I just would have to check into it..
Looks like the most feasible approach for my situation is probably to disconnect the driveshaft, tape around the U joint to keep it intact, and secure the shaft safely in place by suspending it between the frame rails with wire, ratchet strap, or both. That way, my transmission output shaft remains sealed up and clean.. Thanks everyone for your input..
BeenThereB4
Old 11-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #6

Try Jegs or Summit Racing for the tranny plug.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #7

There are plenty of different tailshaft plugs available on Amazon or Ebay. My local Orileys even carries them.

Under $15. Two day delivery.

Powerbuilt 940376 Transmission Stop-Off Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KEHDSE..._evY5Bb66H0TC4
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Disconnecting the drive shaft at the rear end and strapping it to the frame is cheap. Removing 4 nuts and you are done.

If you remove at the transmission end and insert a plug, you still have to remove the driveline completely. Can't leave it attached to the rear end
Old 11-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #9

Towing Question 1996 Chevy pickup

I did go in on Amazon and found a couple of plastic plugs for transmissions, but they seem more intended for storing a transmission instead or transporting / towing a vehicle. So I'm leaning more towards the "used yoke " approach. (thanks to engine 103) I guess I will go trolling along the local salvage yard row and who knows, maybe if I'm lucky they might have a loose driveshaft laying around somewhere. Always plenty of old Chevy trucks being dismantled.
Then I can just remove my driveshaft without the hassle of wiring it up, insert the spare yoke, and I'm good to go ! A bit of wire will be cheap insurance so the spare yoke cannot possibly be lost.
Thanks again to all you great RVers on here !
Old 11-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #10

Have you weighed that PU. Seems like it might be too heavy for an F53. What is your trailer hitch rating??
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #11

Agree on just get a used yoke at the junkyard. When you remove the driveshaft, it may leak a little out when you pull the yoke, just have a rag handy. Put the junkyard yoke in and with some wire to hold it from potentially falling out, you're good to go.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:29 PM   #12

I'm with the others, get a Yoke from a wrecking yard to install and retain with some wire. It's what the seals are designed to fit around.

Tags
chevy, tow, towing