Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #1

Question Towing Safely forward or backward

Has anyone towed a vehicle backward on a dolly and had problems. We want to dolly an Infiniti EX35 SUV. This is a rear wheel drive with auto trans. I contacted the manufacturer on how to tow and they recommended either flat bed or backwards with rear wheels up. I contacted a dolly manufacturer DEMCO, they advised against it because of the lack of weight in the rear could cause the steering mechanism not to work properly. Please give any advice on yeah or neah and recommendations on a dolly and the advantages of surge brakes vs electric.

As always, thank you to all for your assistance.
wheelsturnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not be comfortable towing a vehicle backwards on a dolly. The steering wheel would have to be locked or else the front wheels will caster off and lock up. I would think a flat bed trailer would be a much safer solution.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wheelsturnin,
Back in the 80s I towed two different vehicles backwards. I do not remember what the dolly's manufacturer was. One vehicle was a Ford Pinto station wagon and the other vehicle was a Datsun B210. After several years of towing with this setup the vehicles were gone and I switched to 4 down with the next vehicle purchase. It was about 8 years total towing backwards. Never had a problem with the vehicles or with towing.

I still have a dolly (Kar Kaddy SS) to tow the wife's car (forward facing front wheel drive). I also tow 4 down with the GMC ENVOY XUV 4X4. The Kar Kaddy SS has surge brakes.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #4

Wheelsturnin,
A while back i towed a Ford Ranger backwards for a couple years behind a Class C on a Demco dolly. the Demco had "steerable" wheels and i locked the steering wheel on the Ranger - worked fine. Course i may have been so uninformed that i would not have been able to identify problems - who knows that is my experience
Old 01-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Towing backwards on a Dolly should not be a problem, I was a wrecker driver for years and pulled backwards very frequently. However; I would not trust a locking steering column lock to do all the work, it may but I would not trust it. What we did was to loop a good piece of rope around the steering wheel and a spoke in the wheel, slam the driver door on the rope and then tie a large knot in the rope outside the door so it could not slip. Never a problem.

Tags
towing