Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club

You'll have to see how the rear lights are wired. If sending power into the bulbs in place then energizes all the other lights, that might overload the umbilical or make the lights dim. If the light has room for separate bulbs, that would make the lights bright and independent of the car's wiring system. You might also look at getting a set of lights like this:

12 Volt Magnetic Towing Light Kit

They could be hooked up to be visible in the rear window or on the roof.

On my brake buddy, I ran the wire from the breakaway switch out the back of the hood and in the crack of the door. The door gasket gives enough to not pinch the wires.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's been noted that diodes can dim bulb output from all sources, but that's what I used on mine, worked fine. I think it's a lot cleaner setup than trying to drill holes through these new lamp housings and install a socket.

Yes, there's a boot through the firewall over to the left under the dash for some other wires (can't recall) and I was able to slide a wire through there.

Oh, mine was a Crosstrek....oh well, not that much different.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #17

I was wondering about the battery drain. I recently purchased a 2016 Forester with manual trans and had a blue ox system installed. I'm going to try a 6 hour trip using ACC and turning off Bluetooth and the front digital screen. There aren't any security codes that need to be entered if the battery does go dead and I have to use a battery booster to jump it, right?
Old 11-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
How about just pulling cable off the battery? Also, you could install a charge wire from the RV battery to the towed.

For your first trip you might stop after a couple of hours and check the towed's charge at that point. A battery lasts longer if it's not completely discharged.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #19

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestions! I need to make sure there's no "security" stuff if the battery is pulled off- my last car (Honda Odyssey) needed a security code if the battery cable was disconnected. I'll definitely check it at the first gas stop to see how it is going.... this is my test case to see if I need a charge wire....
Old 11-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #20
jrs

May be incorrect here but consistently disconnecting battery may not be a good idea on newer vehicles? The computer will reboot each time and the various sensors will need time to reset. Easy fix with installing a charge wire from the RV
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
May be incorrect here but consistently disconnecting battery may not be a good idea on newer vehicles? The computer will reboot each time and the various sensors will need time to reset.
I remember my Dad's '90's Buick needing time to 'learn' over again when battery was disconnected, but I think most of today's modern cars have enough memory to keep programming through a disconnect. You could give it a try and see.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-09-2015, 05:33 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a Blue Ox system for towing our 2014 Subaru Forester. If you haven't already done so I would suggest that you contact Blue Ox directly for the EXACT product you will need. We found them very helpful. I believe they have a new and improved version of the 'Alpha' tow bar. Also, you may want to have a charging wire from your RV installed as if you use a braking system, (as required), it will drain your battery after about four hours. Glad we carry a charging unit! Blue Ox and Subaru are very specific and we found thorough in their documentation instructions it would be wise to follow them to the letter. I hadn't realized that steering, braking and steering wheel lock was all electrical! Good luck and even better RV planning!
Old 11-10-2015, 04:01 AM   #23
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmedia View Post
We have a Blue Ox system for towing our 2014 Subaru Forester. If you haven't already done so I would suggest that you contact Blue Ox directly for the EXACT product you will need. We found them very helpful. I believe they have a new and improved version of the 'Alpha' tow bar. Also, you may want to have a charging wire from your RV installed as if you use a braking system, (as required), it will drain your battery after about four hours. Glad we carry a charging unit! Blue Ox and Subaru are very specific and we found thorough in their documentation instructions it would be wise to follow them to the letter. I hadn't realized that steering, braking and steering wheel lock was all electrical! Good luck and even better RV planning!
Mrmedia/Jay111 How do you like the Subaru Forester? Enough HP? Quite cabin (even on cement roads)? Comfortable seats (after couple hrs driving)? Stated MPG close to correct? How's it on sand? Any trails taken? Appreciate the input. Thanks in advance.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:17 AM   #24

jrs, we tow a Subaru Crosstrek, basically an Impreza on steroids. It's a bit smaller then the Forrester, but it suits our needs as a toad and my daily driver perfectly.
Since 1996, between wife and I, we've had 6 Subies, and have never had a down day due to breakdowns. Reliable, safe, and they hold up really well. Wife now drives a 2010 Outback, and I the Crosstrek.
Their great in an offroad (like trails, dirt roads, logging roads, ect) situation, can't beat em in snow, and even my little Crosstrek has the road clearence of a stock Jeep Wrangler. There are Subaru Forums, and many owners take their's rock crawling, and trail running.
If I had to go out and buy another car tomorrow, I would go stright to a Subi dealer. Period!!!
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:05 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
Mrmedia/Jay111 How do you like the Subaru Forester? Enough HP? Quite cabin (even on cement roads)? Comfortable seats (after couple hrs driving)? Stated MPG close to correct? How's it on sand? Any trails taken? Appreciate the input. Thanks in advance.

We love the Forester. It really doesn't have enough HP for interstate travel as far as acceleration, but once your up to speed it's fine. Cabin noise is acceptable for the class of vehicle. Stated MPG seems to be correct. We don't use on sand. Did very well in Yellowstone on climbs. No plans to trade for something else. Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:51 PM   #26

Agree with the last post. We like the forester a lot. Not a lot of power, but decent gas mileage, comfortable, and we like the all wheel drive. Ours is replacing a towed dune buggy for long trips- so we wanted some tame off road access, room for 5, reliability, and something that could be a daily driver. It fits the bill.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow a 2012 Impreza. When I tow, I turn the key halfway between ACC and lock. At that point there is a slight "click" and the steering wheel is unlocked, but no power is going to anything.
Have never had a problem with power drain this way and it tows like a dream.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing