Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing Subaru Forester 2015

I just purchased a 2015 Subura forester 2.5i Manual transmission, to be my new towed . I have a demco tow bars and can not get a baseplate from Demco. I am planning on using a Blue ox Base Plate and Demco Adapters . Has anyone don this.
Also has anyone done the wiring for the lights?
IF you have towed this model Just put in Natural and unlock steering wheel ?
Do you need to pull any Fuses?

Thank you
Howard
seadragonfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did my Subaru Crosstrek noy that long ago here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/setti...ng-159868.html

BlueOx is da-bomb. Cross brand bars and baseplates are no problem with the proper adapters, so if you have that worked out it'll be fine.

I didn't do a lot of write-up on wiring, but super easy on these. I used the diodes for tail and stop, ran the 4-wire from under the hood with a slot in the grill, poke the connector out when I'm gonna use it, otherwise it just tucks in under the hood. Ran the wires back under the chassis - following the brakelines works well, just grab a pack of zip-ties and run it back and out of the way, come up through one of the rubber drain plugs in the spare tire well. Cut a hole in the plug, pass the wires thru, seal with a dab of silicone or RTV sealant.

Now just route the wires inside to the taillights, follow the hook up instructions with the diode pack. Blue-Ox sells a kit, can also get from e-Trailer from Hodge or Curt or whatever.

Our 'trek tows like a dream. You'll love the Forester as well!

Oh, and nothing else is needed to tow the subarus - just one cog on the ignition to unlock steering, put in neutral, tow away!
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks I am looking forward to getting the base plate installed so I can get back on the road.
With the car key in Acc. have you had any problems with the car battery?
Thanks again
Howard
seadragonfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No battery issues - just turn off radio and nav if you have one.
I run a brake-buddy on mine. No ten hour days yet though...guess I should run a test and see if I can detect any draw, but there shouldn't be any except the brake unit when it runs. I set mine for only emergency stops so it virtually never runs.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
No battery issues - just turn off radio and nav if you have one.
I run a brake-buddy on mine. No ten hour days yet though...guess I should run a test and see if I can detect any draw, but there shouldn't be any except the brake unit when it runs. I set mine for only emergency stops so it virtually never runs.
The key has to be in the ACC position to power the two 12v cigarette lighter receptacles and ensure the steering wheel does not lock.
I have learned that the car can be towed with the key in the OFF position where it would be removed. BUT DO NOT remove the key! In the off position there is no power going to the cigarette lighter receptacles or other electrical areas of the car. This saves the battery but one cannot use a tow system powered by the cigarette lighter receptacles.
Note that if you remove the key in the OFF position you will hear a click. This is the steering lock being engaged. The steering wheel will then lock. Thus do not remove the key in the OFF position if you wish to tow.
My solution after killing my battery twice was to have a charge wire run to the battery from the 7 pin outlet on my rv. I run with the key in ACC position, the brake controller works. No problems.
Just remember if you tow with the key in the OFF position DO NOT remove it. You can tow with no problem. You can test the key positions by turning the steering wheel in each key position and note it will lock only when the key is removed.
BTW the dealer and writing Subaru did not produce any results for me regarding towing!
I have towed my 2015 Forester in ACC and OFF position with no problem. With the battery charged from the rv and towing in ACC there has not been any battery issues: so far.
All the best.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow...just wow.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #7

2015 Subaru Forester toad?

This is great information. We are shopping now for a vehicle to be towed and were under the impression the Subaru must be towed on a trailer per the Remco towing guide but it only goes up to the 2014 model year.

Did something change with the 2015 model?

Thanks!
Wirehaired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #8

I'd love it if a 2014 Subie can be flat towed; we have a 2014 Outback (CVT/2.5i) that says in the manual it can't be towed (and we didn't buy it for that) but it would always be nice to have the option...

Steve
Old 09-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I've got a Forester and I solved problem with the ignition switched power outlets. I've got two in front, one hidden in the console the other on the dashboard. I wanted to be able to charge a phone when away from the car. I direct wired the console outlet directly to the battery (with a fuse) so it's always powered. I can plug in the phone or camera, hide it in the console, lock car, and walk away. I've had other cars that had power outlets always powered, I don't see the issue with having them switched with the ignition.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirehaired View Post
This is great information. We are shopping now for a vehicle to be towed and were under the impression the Subaru must be towed on a trailer per the Remco towing guide but it only goes up to the 2014 model year.
Thanks!
I think the 14 and 15 year forester models are the same. A manual transmission can be flat towed. I have towed my 15 forester with no issues except the battery as I've mentioned in a previous post. I think this has been solved with the charge wire.
Check the blue ox and roadmaster web sites for fit on the vehicle you are thinking of buying. The 15 forester manual is listed on blue ox.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirehaired View Post

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
I'd love it if a 2014 Subie can be flat towed; we have a 2014 Outback (CVT/2.5i) that says in the manual it can't be towed (and we didn't buy it for that) but it would always be nice to have the option...

Steve
As thetimelord noted, and I emphasize, we're talking a MANUAL transmission. none of the AUTOMATIC transmission Subarus can be towed 4 down or on a tow dolly.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
As thetimelord noted, and I emphasize, we're talking a MANUAL transmission. none of the AUTOMATIC transmission Subarus can be towed 4 down or on a tow dolly.
^^ This +
Only manual trans - forester, outback, crosstrek, impreza. I think the brz is out as well.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #13

Just got a 2015 Subi Crosstrek 5 speed manual and will be setting it up to tow in the next few weeks. Very fun car to drive.
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #14

Hello,

I have just purchased a used Subaru 2012 Forester I have installed the blue ox baseplate and have a Patriot brake system. Blue Ox recommends the bulb setup vrs the diode I am more inclined to go with a the diode set up but Im not sure if there is a reason blue ox recommends the bulb setup anyone have any ideas.

I had a look at Bug512 install and it looks pretty similar to the way my base plate went in. Any advise bug ?

Also does anyone have any experience running the breakaway switch into the front seat though the firewall or some other route ?

thanks
jacksteel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing