Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Reb View Post
Are there local dealers that sell the EZ tow dolly (Acme) or do you have to purchase it direct from the mfg. ? John
There are no dealers...I believe. It is all factory direct sales from NC. But they welcome anyone there.

That is why the shipping is done so well. Comes to you in an open crate. Just mount fenders, tires and lights (but the new lights might now be mounted) and go...no surprises.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Are there local dealers that sell the EZ tow dolly (Acme) or do you have to purchase it direct from the mfg. ? John
John most people who are looking for an easy inexpensive way to tow, get a dolly. Shortly afterwords they get a tow bar 4 down toad ( towing vehicle) because the dolly is such a pain in the a$$. Do yourself a favor, save some money and forget the dolly. Just my opinion. You will thank me later. Randy
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post
John most people who are looking for an easy inexpensive way to tow, get a dolly. Shortly afterwords they get a tow bar 4 down toad ( towing vehicle) because the dolly is such a pain in the a$$. Do yourself a favor, save some money and forget the dolly. Just my opinion. You will thank me later. Randy
Cant put me in that group. I have no interest at all going 4 down. I can afford 4 down so I didn't cheap out. I wanted something where I was not limited on what car I can take with me and my future vehicle purchases are not as limited. I don't keep cars very long.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for saying that so well!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #33
HHg

When we started RV'ing some years back, we started in a Class C on the Sprinter chassis. We did not tow a vehicle with it. When we bought our first Class A we traded in our Tahoe and got the CRV.....we never go anywhere without it!

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #34

the attached tow guide has some good info on vehicles you can flat tow, etc.

http://www.royrobinsonrv.com/images/...yGuide2013.pdf
Old 01-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #35

I should also say that I have not had any issues with my straps stretching. On the very first trip I stopped after 25 miles to check everything out and there was some minor stretch on the straps. However it has never been needed since. But I also verify that the straps are tight, centered, and setup correctly. This really is a non issue setting up the straps but there should not be much stretching outside of the initial stretch. They can only be stretched so far before they are done. But for some 4 down is easier and if you have some bending limitations than that would be the better choice. However at my age I better be limber or im doing something wrong. LOL.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Randy
I agree 100%.
However I don't know how/where one can get a tow dolly for less $$ than the necessary 4 down towing hardware....(maybe from someone who wised up and switched to 4 down towing)?
When I began tow 4 down, (in '01), a dolly would have cost considerably more than the Roadmaster towing hardware I've been using for 100,000 + miles.
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k, (105 k mine)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Cant put me in that group. I have no interest at all going 4 down. I can afford 4 down so I didn't cheap out. I wanted something where I was not limited on what car I can take with me and my future vehicle purchases are not as limited. I don't keep cars very long.
James.. This reply is not to start an argument, but to clarify some information for the newbee. There are many vehicles that can not be towed with a dolly including my 2013 CRV AWD. It must be towed 4down or completely on a trailer. Most RVing people buy a toad based on how they plan on pulling it. And John, you should shop accordingly. And lastly, don't but a "new dolly", there are tons of used ones out three for sale (I know people that gave theirs away). However, before you pay the guy for his used dolly, ask him why he is selling it. Then ask him what brand of tow bar did he buy. Just saying! ---whistling,

Randy
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #38

Quote:
James.. This reply is not to start an argument, but to clarify some information for the newbee. There are many vehicles that can not be towed with a dolly including my 2013 CRV AWD. It must be towed 4down or completely on a trailer. Most RVing people buy a toad based on how they plan on pulling it. And John, you should shop accordingly. And lastly, don't but a "new dolly", there are tons of used ones out three for sale (I know people that gave theirs away). However, before you pay the guy for his used dolly, ask him why he is selling it. Then ask him what brand of tow bar did he buy. Just saying! ---whistling,

Randy
No argument from me, just making sure you do not put me in your quote that you were talking about. There are many vehicles that cannot be 4 down either. Some people will by a car based on how they want to tow and many will by the vehicle they actually want and go from their. It just works out when the vehicle you really want can be towed the way you would like to tow. Me, I exchange cars faster than a lot of people so I choose the method that works best for me. This is all a personal decision the same as what motorhome is best, drivetrain is best, 5th wheel is best, travel trailer is best, hotel is best, what TV is best, what toilet paper is best, etc.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not to start another argument, or steal this thread, but we all agree the toilet paper should come over the top of the roll towards you, correct?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #40

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Not to start another argument, or steal this thread, but we all agree the toilet paper should come over the top of the roll towards you, correct?
I actually prefer the TP to be on a vertical plane and it exits on the right side.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
For those of you that use the tow dolly, what do you recommend as far as type or brand/model? What is your experience?
I like the Demco KK-460 but it is heavy compared to others.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:02 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Randy
I agree 100%.
However I don't know how/where one can get a tow dolly for less $$ than the necessary 4 down towing hardware....(maybe from someone who wised up and switched to 4 down towing)?
When I began tow 4 down, (in '01), a dolly would have cost considerably more than the Roadmaster towing hardware I've been using for 100,000 + miles.
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k, (105 k mine)
A flat tow set-up for less $$ than a dolly...? Does that include a supplimental brake system?

I have a full Roadmaster set-up for towing 4 down and an EZE-Tow. Why?.....That's a long story for another thread. But anyway, because of this, I have actual costs of these things...

...Let's do some math (costs are retail/new and do not include sales tax, if any or shipping):

-Tow Bar......$600
-Base Plate (fits only 1 style car)...$300 (and that was a cheap one*).
-Roadmaster-BrakeMaster 9000 (car and RV system)....$800
--Total parts..............$1700.
-Installation of the base plate can be a DIY job**, BUT the RV side of the braking system involves modification of the RV's brake system. Not a DIY job IMHO...add $400 labor.
--Minimum TOTAL TO FLAT TOW (new parts)...$2100

*Base plates run a wide range of cost depending on the vehicle.
**Base Plate install can be a very complex job (including access to airbag sensors and light systems inside car bumpers...not for everyone.

--Acme EZE-Tow dolly...$1499.99

---Advantage...Dolly Tow

The dirty little secret of flat towing is that many folks forego supplimental brakes for the car. I personally know 2 who do not have brakes on the toad...but who needs brakes on the car behind a big ol' RV...right?

Safe travel to all
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
towing