Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #1

Towing Toyota Sienna with ACME Dolly

I was hoping someone dolly towing a 2008 Toyota Sienna or similar vehicle can assist. I currently use the ACME dolly with built in lights, but also use magnetic tow lights. Are the ACME tow dolly lights sufficient? They are right near the front tire, so I don't know how visible they look from the back of the van. Are tow lights even necessary? If so, I am wanting to utilize the Sienna's factory tail lights to illuminate when the motorhome does. How do I go about this?
sw20td06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #2

I used to tow a Toyota Prius on a dolly (Kar Kaddy SS) for 5 years and never put a light bar on the back of it. The dolly lights are visible unless you are literally at the rear bumper of the toad.
I believe legally a light bar is required, at least in CA, but much like a front license plate, it is rarely enforced.
52Tele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #3

You will need a flat tow wiring kit to get your toad lights working. The kit comes with diodes and adaptors to give you brake and signal on one bulb. That's what the dolly has.

I don't know if your car is flat towable, so a kit may not be available.

I have been towing for 6 years with just the dolly lights. No issues so far.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Tele View Post
I used to tow a Toyota Prius on a dolly (Kar Kaddy SS) for 5 years and never put a light bar on the back of it. The dolly lights are visible unless you are literally at the rear bumper of the toad.
I believe legally a light bar is required, at least in CA, but much like a front license plate, it is rarely enforced.
Thank you for the info. I am in CA as well. But I think my magnetic LED tow lights have better visibility than the van lights. They are mounted high on the roof and the van is titled slightly due to the dolly. I don't mind too much putting the tow lights, just trying to eliminate a step for setup before I tow.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You will need a flat tow wiring kit to get your toad lights working. The kit comes with diodes and adaptors to give you brake and signal on one bulb. That's what the dolly has.

I don't know if your car is flat towable, so a kit may not be available.

I have been towing for 6 years with just the dolly lights. No issues so far.
Thanks. My van cannot be flat towed unless I get a REMCO pump I believe. I looked online and there is no wiring kit available for my vehicle. Good to know about just using the dolly lights.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I recommend extra lights

My Camry was hit by an 18 wheeler. Totaled the car and damaged the hitch and RV. I had only the acme dolly lights. The truck driver said he could not see during the quick downpour. He was cited for failure to maintain distance. I use magnetic lights on the trunk now.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
My Camry was hit by an 18 wheeler. Totaled the car and damaged the hitch and RV. I had only the acme dolly lights. The truck driver said he could not see during the quick downpour. He was cited for failure to maintain distance. I use magnetic lights on the trunk now.
Wow sorry to hear that happened to you. That's why I was using the magnetic lights because I figured the dolly lights were too low to the ground and may not be completely visible by all vehicles.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Towing Toyota Sienna with ACME Dolly

I believe you’ll find Towing a car is different than the rules for a trailer. A car on a dolly is not a trailer The dolly lights are all that is required in every state I’ve looked at. The above story proved that in that the truck driver was ticketed not the car using only dolly lights. Remember you do have red reflectors on the rear of the car ( the unlit taillights)
All that true but there is nothing against using the additional light bar or car taillights. The few times I have driven at night with a dolly we’re in calif getting to a family member on Vacation time.
I’ve driven behind many a car on dolly and had no issue issue seeing the lights. The above truck driver was clearly at fault , who follows that closely ?
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
So he didn't see the BIG RV and its lights either ?

He was just defending his mistake.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, towing