Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Towing With A Trailer

This question is for the people that tow with their vehicle on a trailer. What do you do with the trailer after the vehicle is taken off? I would think you have to remove the trailer before backing your motorhome into the campsite. Where do you put the trailer?
rdfugere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 05:22 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's one of the biggest concerns of towing with a trailer. Where to put it. It all depends on the size of your campsite. Some are big enough to keep the trailer on site, either still attached or parked along the side of the rv. Other campsites may require you to park your trailer off site at a storage area of the rv park. I've seen some rvers that left it attached to their rv but then had to pull up onto the trailer everytime they were at the campsite with their car because there wasn't enough room to park the car on the ground, not too handy for getting into and out of their car.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KenandBarbie
I tow a trailer behind a 39' motorhome without any difficulty. I have had no issues in reversing the combined rig and so far have only been in 4 sites where I have had to detach the trailer. In every case there has not been an issue with parking the trailer on an adjacent car park or elsewhere. In one case the camp owner towed the trailer to an on site garage. I have not yet been in a pull through site that does not accommodate the combined rig. On the several occasions I have taken wrong turns or got into tight spots in car parks I can easily reverse the rig and change direction. I choose to have a trailer because I don't want to own a dinghy vehicle and I want the flexibility of having a different vehicle for different trips depending on who is travelling with us and where we are going - so I rent a car when I need it and I just tow the empty trailer when I don't need a car. The trailer tracks the motorhome beautifully and being aluminium is very light and does need painting. I have many photos of the rig in campsites. Hope that this helps.
KenandBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Oops. "........does not need painting"
Old 10-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandBarbie View Post
I tow a trailer behind a 39' motorhome without any difficulty. I have had no issues in reversing the combined rig and so far have only been in 4 sites where I have had to detach the trailer. In every case there has not been an issue with parking the trailer on an adjacent car park or elsewhere. In one case the camp owner towed the trailer to an on site garage. I have not yet been in a pull through site that does not accommodate the combined rig. On the several occasions I have taken wrong turns or got into tight spots in car parks I can easily reverse the rig and change direction. I choose to have a trailer because I don't want to own a dinghy vehicle and I want the flexibility of having a different vehicle for different trips depending on who is travelling with us and where we are going - so I rent a car when I need it and I just tow the empty trailer when I don't need a car. The trailer tracks the motorhome beautifully and being aluminium is very light and does need painting. I have many photos of the rig in campsites. Hope that this helps.
What kind of trailer is it and if you don't mind how much was it?
Old 10-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have been towing a trailer for the last 10 years and have had to disconnect 2-3 times. The key is plan ahead and reserve a pull through site long enough for the entire rig. I also tow 4 down and while it's a little less work I prefer to use the trailer.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Our trailer is an Aluma 8214 trailer (see photo). Tandem or Two-axle Aluminum Utility Trailer I see that you are in Sarasota. We bought it from Neil at Rentz Trailers, 12826 US 19 Hudson, Florida 34667 Rentz Trailers, Your One Stop New & Used Trailer Store in Florida. Make sure you tell him that his shirt looks great on him and tell him I sent you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9552.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	76033  
Old 10-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The biggest challenge we actually have now is making sure that the colour of the rental vehicle matches the color of the coach. I once picked up a red car and DW was not a happy camper which means I was not a happy camper until I took the red one back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140623-00587.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	76034  
Old 10-08-2014, 01:22 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I am in the market for get or silver color tie down straps - yellow is not a good look anymore it seems! These are the only real issues with having a trailer! 😄
Old 10-08-2014, 04:15 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandBarbie View Post
Our trailer is an Aluma 8214 trailer (see photo). Tandem or Two-axle Aluminum Utility Trailer I see that you are in Sarasota. We bought it from Neil at Rentz Trailers, 12826 US 19 Hudson, Florida 34667 Rentz Trailers, Your One Stop New & Used Trailer Store in Florida. Make sure you tell him that his shirt looks great on him and tell him I sent you.
thanks for the info.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have towed with a trailer over the past 5 years and I have never been concerned with where to put it. I have also towed with a dolly and 4 down, but like KenandBarbie stated, flexibility of vehicle, having a vehicle safe from road debris (yes I had a shingle come off a mobile home being moved on I-70 that hit the side of my Suburban while being towed 4 down) and sand and gravel hitting the front end, contents locked while traveling and doing an overnight, not having the soot from the travels on my vehicle offset most of the inconvenience. I also have only had a few times where I needed to unhook and the Park was more than accommodating and as of yet I have never had to pay anything extra for the trailer.

Costs on trailers vary widely, I highly recommend good axles (I prefer torsion) and heavy duty brakes. I would do some research on this forum as there is a lot of great information on what to look at in trailer construction, lay out etc that may save you some money by getting it right the first time.

Good luck!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow