Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #1

Towing with Lub Pump

Has anyone installed a Lube Pump on a toad that can't be towed 4 down for towing behind a MH.
Nick
seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #2

I installed my own lube pump.

BUT , if your vehicle is listed as " Can't be towed 4 down " why would you even want to try ???

EDIT: $1,200 for the pump + install, and the possibility of $4>5,000 for a trans in short order, makes other towing options; dolly or trailer; look good.
JHMO ; If Remco says it can't be flat towed , don't try.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I think he just means it "can't be towed without mods", i.e. adding the lube pump.

Many people have installed and use lube pumps, but it's a pricey way to go. Remco is now charging $1495 for the pump and installation is another $300 or so unless you do it yourself. And this is in addition to the already high cost of the rest of the 4-down towing gear (brake, tow bar, base plates, & light wiring).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

[QUOTE=Gary RVRoamer;3212910]I think he just means it "can't be towed without mods", i.e. adding the lube pump.

/QUOTE]

Thanks Gary , I hope that's what he means, and just asked the question without clarification. Guess we'll have to wait for a reply to see.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #5

Lub pump

Thanks guys and new to towing a car behind MH and now tow a 2012 Fit and really like it for towing and my all around local car and have a 2015 Odyessy.
I purchased the fit because good MPG and roomy back seats fold down and nice hatch back and cheap,it is a great around town car and like it's low for putting kayak's on and have hitch for bike rack too
I guess I'll keep it until it needs replacing and until I find a newer 4 down tow car,
don't need another big car or truck and no dolly foe sure.
Nick
Old 08-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #6

Back in 1998, I bought a kit from a company in FL that consisted of a 1qt tank, two pieces of hose, a couple of tee's and a valve. When hooked up to tow, the valve was opened and the extra qt of transmission fluid drained into the transmission. The valve was shut off and the transmission put into neutral, and we would hit the road. When ready to unhook, I started the engine, opened the valve till the 1qt tank was full and shut the valve off, put it in gear and drive off. I had it on a 97 Chrysler Town & Country mini-van. It worked great with the tranny being 1qt over full and no pump involved. I think the kit was less than $200.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:34 AM   #7

Lube

I only asked as a point of interested info for when I do need to get a new toad
but for now I am good to go.
I think that is a lot of $$$$ for the pump kit but would only really need a pump
and already use magnetic lights and just wanted info how or what these lube
pump involve.
I would want a tow car that I can be happy driving all year and just looking at options and don't want standard shift because always had standard and drove stick shift big trucks all my life and about 20 years ago started driving auto cars and trucks,after driving stick shift all day long needed the auto for the drive home on Long Island,had a Dolly for a few months and sold it fast and was another thing needing care and some thing else to worry about and keep things simple and less is better.
I am hoping my Fit will last a long time before needing a newer one and thanks for the great info.
I do mostly all my own work and it was not cheap for the base plate and was no easy job taking off the nose to add the base plate on my Fit.
I like doing a lot of research before making a finally decision with everything and as a point of helpful info Youtube is so fantastic and been using it for any projects,my Wife used Youtube to replace our labtop screen.
Nick
Old 08-25-2016, 12:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadaddler View Post
I only asked as a point of interested info for when I do need to get a new toad
but for now I am good to go..
Nick
Nick , my mini van needed the lube pump in order to be towed four down , and I don't regret spending the $$$. 6 years and all is going well .

Keep this web site address handy , as it's up dated with new info every model year.

Store : Remco

Tags
tow, towing