Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #1

Towing without electric brake assist

Is there a weight limit on the toad where you don't need brake assist?
firenfix4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #2

I do not know the rules for a toad but for boats it is 2,000 pounds or more need brakes. 1,999 lbs. does not need brakes.

I would think that the 2,000 lb threshold would be common for other towed items.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #3

Thanks. That would be great, now the challenge is to find a 1999 pound car I want to be in!
Old 01-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
3000 pounds in canada
Old 01-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Why would you not want brake assist?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #6

Just checking options. If there is a known safe weight for a toad where brake assist isn't needed, why would you want to spend over a thousand to have it installed? If there is no safe weight without brake assist, then I will gladly purchase.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's not safe at any weight without some kind of assist. You're overworking your vehicles brakes. C'mon man!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #8
Cat

Anything that you add- adds weight which makes the stopping distance increase. The difference between an accident and no accident is stopping 1" 6" 12" sooner. If you 12" too late you justed dented something 12". Get something with a brake.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #9

The answer to the OP's question is it will vary depending on what state (or country) you are driving in at the time. Unlike driver's license where you are legal in any state or Canada as long as you are legal in your home state, other vehicle laws will vary from state to state. If you should be stopped for a vehicle violation, you must meet that states laws.

At least that is my understanding of the system
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two laws apply to towing with/without brake assist.
Different states have different laws. Ranging from around 1500 pounds to 4,000 pounds IF they even require brakes. Moral: Your millage may vary.

CIVIL law however is less forgiving IF YOU REAR END someone.

According to US-Gear a proper aux brake system can reduce your stopping distance by as much as 30%.

So if you rear end me, and you DO NOT have aux brakes. I'm ging to call Dewy, Cheatum & Howe (Ok so that's a fictional law firm from the 3 Stooges) or rather a Real Lawyer. and discuss "Reckless Endangerment".. I believe the precedent is half a million dollars.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
It's not only a question of the braking system for stopping, it's that most states require a breakaway system in case the towed vehicle becomes detached from the towing vehicle. Even if you are under 2k pounds, that's a one ton missile on the roadway if it comes loose. If something like that happened, your insurance company would probably not cover you since you are operating illegally. And like previously said, you have to meet the requirements of whatever state or province you are in.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is a good resource for what states and countries allow: Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
wndshldgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndshldgoes View Post
Here is a good resource for what states and countries allow: Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
My only issue with the referenced link is that it discusses trailers and fifth wheels which, to me, confuses the issue regarding a motorhome pulling a car.

There is always the “by the book” thing to do, then there’s the smart thing to do.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
When we bought our first DP I had a few people tell me that I probably wouldn't need a brake assist because the diesel would stop just about anything behind it. When I researched it I found out that it's required in most states, so I got a Blue Ox Patriot system. About two months later, on a two lane road and following an 18 wheeler at what I thought was a safe distance, he slammed on his brakes and stopped almost immediately. I panic stopped the motorhome and ended up within inches of his trailer. The Patriot brake light on the remote control was still on. I don't even want to think about what would've happened if the Toad hadn't had it's own braking system. You don't have to "install" one. The Patriot system, and others like it, just sit on the floor and connect to the brake pedal and are removed when not in use.
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, electric, tow, towing