Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2021, 08:26 PM   #15

And there are thousands of Yaris's out there with manual transmissions that can be flat towed, here is a link to the 2007 Yaris owners manual https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/s...2007-yaris.pdf You can see for yourself on page 204 where it shows they can be flat towed, officially in the manual from Toyota, I suspect the same is true of the Corolla, etc.

Yep, here it is the 2007 Corolla owners manual https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/s...07-corolla.pdf page 203 (I am just picking 07 as that is the year of my Yaris)
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2021, 08:29 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I currently tow a 2003 Tacoma. I have also towed a 2007 Tacoma. I like the tacoma as a toad. Superior driveline helped me get the correct disconnect and help me find an installer near me. $1500 and well worth it.
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:29 AM   #17

2019 Corolla with Manual is towable

We purchased a 2019 stick shift Corolla BECAUSE it could be flat towed. Has it in the owners manual. In 2020 they removed the wording that says it can be flat towed. We have towed ours about 10k miles with no issues.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:36 PM   #18

I don't know, every article I've read on the 2023 RAV4 says it will essentially "remain unchanged" and only get a minor facelift. I think Toyota approving it for flat towing is unlikely since it sounds as if it will basically have the same drivetrain. Here are just a few blurbs on it:

New Toyota RAV4 2023 Redesign, Facelift, Refresh

2023 Toyota RAV4 Refresh, Release Date

2023 Toyota RAV4 Prime Changes, Release Date, Specs
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:20 AM   #19

wfcentral. I understand your comment on your 2019 Corolla with manual transmission. We have a 2018 Corolla with manual transmission which we purchased for the same reason as you, and have been very pleased with it. It tows and tracks well. We have towed it over 20,000 miles with no problems.

Early in this thread I posted "I don't think Toyota makes any vehicle that is towable 4 down". I was referring to the 2021 models. Over the years they have a number of vehicles that were towable.
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:03 PM   #20

I was surprised when I read my wife's 01 Rav4 manual. It gives instructions for flat towing. I did not know the tranny was different than other years. I did install a Blue ox baseplate ( nightmare) but have never towed it. Therre is no way that any asian mfr. is going to bring our new models that are flat towable with an auto trans. Forget a 22 Rav being towable.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I don't know, every article I've read on the 2023 RAV4 says it will essentially "remain unchanged" and only get a minor facelift. I think Toyota approving it for flat towing is unlikely since it sounds as if it will basically have the same drivetrain. Here are just a few blurbs on it:

New Toyota RAV4 2023 Redesign, Facelift, Refresh

2023 Toyota RAV4 Refresh, Release Date

2023 Toyota RAV4 Prime Changes, Release Date, Specs
Refresh looks like a Ford Edge. That's a good thing as the current RAV4 is hideous looking.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Refresh looks like a Ford Edge. That's a good thing as the current RAV4 is hideous looking.
Amen brother!! The entire Toyota lineup in the last few years has been hideous, and their sales numbers have suffered to prove it.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
I have no idea what TEMA is that would make it privy to design changes on future Toyota models. Please explain.
LOL, yeah, I too was wondering what TEMA might be so I hopped online and started doing research and each one I came across I checked off not thinking they'd know anything about the future of Toyota products:

The "nope" list:

Tennessee Emergency Management Agency

Tubular Exchanger Manufacturers Association

Texas Energy Managers Association

Technologies and Materials (TeMa researches construction sites and is located in Kearneysville West Virginia)

Tarheel Electric Membership Association, Inc. - TEMA

Tobago Emergency Management Agency

...etc., etc., etc. etc.

Those above are just some using the T E M A acronym that I found but also many products, companies, and organizaitons that simply have "TEMA" in their description such as TEMA bedding products, TEMA Image Systems, TEMA Contemporary Furniture, etc., etc., etc. but none came close to possibly knowing the future of Toyota products.

But FINALLY, I found what Roadmasternd is referring to:

Toyota Engineering & Manufacturing (TEMA) headquartered in Erlanger, Kentucky

So yes, Roadmasternd, please let us know what further information your source at TEMA might have on the new RAV4 as I too am very interested. I once was a very serious Toyota fan decades ago (not so much today) and would still be interested in any conflicting information a TEMA employee might have that contradicts all the information that I posted previously that the 2023 RAV4 will remain essentially unchanged with only a minor refresh. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
We purchased a 2019 stick shift Corolla BECAUSE it could be flat towed. Has it in the owners manual. In 2020 they removed the wording that says it can be flat towed. We have towed ours about 10k miles with no issues.

I've no experience with toads. Did you have to make any kind of modifications to the car other than the tow hitch!???
DesertRatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:06 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
LOL, yeah, I too was wondering what TEMA might be so I hopped online and started doing research and each one I came across I checked off not thinking they'd know anything about the future of Toyota products:

The "nope" list:

Tennessee Emergency Management Agency

Tubular Exchanger Manufacturers Association

Texas Energy Managers Association

Technologies and Materials (TeMa researches construction sites and is located in Kearneysville West Virginia)

Tarheel Electric Membership Association, Inc. - TEMA

Tobago Emergency Management Agency

...etc., etc., etc. etc.

Those above are just some using the T E M A acronym that I found but also many products, companies, and organizaitons that simply have "TEMA" in their description such as TEMA bedding products, TEMA Image Systems, TEMA Contemporary Furniture, etc., etc., etc. but none came close to possibly knowing the future of Toyota products.

But FINALLY, I found what Roadmasternd is referring to:

Toyota Engineering & Manufacturing (TEMA) headquartered in Erlanger, Kentucky

So yes, Roadmasternd, please let us know what further information your source at TEMA might have on the new RAV4 as I too am very interested. I once was a very serious Toyota fan decades ago (not so much today) and would still be interested in any conflicting information a TEMA employee might have that contradicts all the information that I posted previously that the 2023 RAV4 will remain essentially unchanged with only a minor refresh. Thanks!
Back when grammar schools actually taught meaningful subjects we were taught that it was standard practice to spell out the meaning of an acronym the first time it was used in an article, then use just the acronym for subsequent instances in that article...that effectively eliminates the need to search for the meaning!
Old 12-08-2021, 11:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmasternd View Post
I was simply replying in kind to theroc's sassy attitude... Let me introduce myself. My name is Jim and I am the head of research and devolopment at Roadmaster inc. My team and I research vehicle's for towability and design new baseplates when the current pattern no longer fits...
Sassy attitude? Truly and honestly, it wasn't meant to be. It was actually more of an attempt at humor that went over like a lead balloon, as they say. But I'm very sorry if it was taken as "sassy" as that's not my nature.

Most on this forum know that I am of very low intelligence and it takes me awhile to understand complex issues if I eventually do at all. I really did wonder what TEMA stood for. Like I say, I'm not as bright as most here but I'm always curious and am always at least attempting to learn. I try to contribute to the forum discussions too whether it turns out to be right or wrong. i've been participating on this forum for about 18 years now and we all know that I can post some very "wrong" information but I try hard to correct it when I do or at least apologize.

As I mentioned, I was a Toyota fan decades ago and owned quite a few in the 1970s and 80s. I had a '74 Corolla I loved and an '86 4Runner that was probably the best vehicle I've ever owned and I've owned dozens through the past 50+ years. So those two Toyotas are an example of just two of my favorites out of the handful I've had through the decades. I admit that it's been awhile since I've purchased one, however.

The topic of this thread is the 2022 or '23 RAV4 as the OP specifically stated "the new Toyota Rav 4 (sic)."

So although I won't be buying one to tow behind a motorhome, I'm VERY interested if the "new" ones in the future will be approved by Toyota to be flat towed. I'd never buy one as I'm a die-hard manual transmission person so that actually is my biggest disappointment that neither the RAV4 or 4Runner have or will have a manual ...but in a few years, most likely NO vehicles will be available to the general public with a manual transmission.

So at any rate, I'll still be following this thread but I'll shut up for now.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:57 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
At minimum,

1) you have to install a baseplate to have something to attach to.
2) some kind of auxiliary braking system, portable or permanent.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Roadmaster website, does not list baseplates for any 2022 Toyota models.

General rule, if it has a CVT transmission, it's not flat tow-able. That's what eliminated the Honda CR-V for 2015 or later.